miketyler

Question on power mirrors mod

My servos were pulled from 94-97 stang and am pretty sure that's where I got the switch. I mounted both servos exactly like they came out of the car and the passenger side operates backwards from the switch.

So, by backwards, do you mean just left/right or up/down also? If it's just left/right, then using two driver's side servos should correct that.

The switch was a good fit in the new door panel and I bought it with the matching plug. Check out ebay seller "switchland". They have some cheap prices and will sell you switch and matching plug for under $20. I'll see if I can post some pics of it installed

Ya, that was a really good fit. Almost looks like it belongs there.

Chuck

Let me recheck that operation, I had wired everything up on the table and was sure it was all working correctly but once I ran wires and connected the switch had this reverse issue. I was a little disappointed as the whole project was more entailing than I expected. Some I brought on myself since I wanted to keep my originals and outfit and paint a separate set. Still like the way it came out.

Oh and btw, if I had to do it again I would definitely look for smaller servos. I think Cruzzar used Honda or Acura servos in his car. Probably easier to work with and same basic 3 wire design.

One more question, what is everyone using for a fuse on these and did you piggyback onto the stock fuse block or run your own power wire?

FYI I have a pair of fox body mustang mirrors as well as SN95 mirrors on the way. I'll pull the servos from all and compare to see if they are very different.

I know (from a very frustrating last weekend) that the power mirrors are protected on the SN95 by no less than three fuses. The first is a 50a fuse that also protects the headlights. The second is a 15a fuse that feeds directly into a 10a fuse that protects the mirrors, clock, radio, keyless entry/power locks/remote trunk release, and speedometer pulse amplifier (why the EFF would Ford think it would be a good idea to put this item on the same circuit?!?!?!!!).

10a should be more than enough to cover just the mirrors. You could probably wire it in behind the radio's fuse.

When I get that far, there will be LOTS of individually fused circuits. Losing 5 or 6 functions from one fuse is pretty annoying. (I will need to rewire the entire car, anyway. Don't know what kit I will start with, yet.)

Chuck

Oh and btw, if I had to do it again I would definitely look for smaller servos. I think Cruzzar used Honda or Acura servos in his car. Probably easier to work with and same basic 3 wire design.

I found one of Cruzzar's threads on another forum. He's pretty sure he used the servos from an 87 Acura coupe, model unknown. And, Hondas from that era are probably the same.

Chuck

Yeah I was thinking of piggybacking a 10a fuse for now.

Regarding the Acura, take a peek at his custom CNC'd mounting bracket....pretty slick! Might be a pain to fabricate by hand though. I'm digging Mike's simplistic mounting method, a method I might possibly duplicate should this mod work out in the end.

I will be doing something like Mike's on the driver's side. I already have the initial template drawn up. I want to add some ears to allow me to recess it about 1/4" to 1/2".

The passenger's side will be a bit different. There's only one mounting hole and it's angled in the wrong direction. I will probably end up with a triangle-shaped mount that also uses the two screws that hold the mirror cup to the mounting base.

My plan is to not cut or grind anything that would prevent me from returning it to stock. Drilling a hole through the cup and door for the passenger's side are my (hopefully) only physical changes and those will be covered and unseen.

Dumb question, but does the SN95 mirror glass and backing just pop off of the servo? I'm prying on the glass to remove it from the servo and I'm trying to not break the servo. Let me know how you guys got the mirror apart

It SHOULD just pop off. My passenger's side mirror had excess glue drip out and stick the mirror to the servo. I ended up shattering the mirror, but the plastic holder and servo were fine. See if you can first remove the glass. That will give you some room to work with getting the plastic to detach from the servo, if it got glued down.

Chuck

Thanks. I was prying and could see the servo piston pulling out. Looking at your pics on the first page it looked like the plastic just snapped onto the servo. I'll see what I can do.

You guys mentioned the passenger side mirror motor was larger than the drivers side. Was it the body of the motor (side behind seal toward front of the car) being a larger diameter, or was it the face that the mirror glass that attaches to being bigger?

I bought a pair of Fox body mustang mirror as well as a passenger side SN95 mirror. The drivers side Fox body mirror motor body is the same size as the passenger SN95 mirror, except for the ring that the mirror glues to. On the SN95, the plastic mirror backing snaps to the mirror motor. On the Fox body, the ring is larger diameter and has four integral hoops (or mounts) in which plastic studs from the plastic mirror backing are pressed or plastic welded into. Kinda like this:

large.JPG

One could trim down the mounting ring on the Fox body drivers mirror motor and it would be identical to the SN 95 passenger motor. FWIW, the backside of the Fox body and SN 95 motors are identical and even have the same Made In Holland company script and identical patent numbers.

I haven't gotten the fox body passenger mirror disassembled to compare the servo size. Chuck, could you measure your larger passenger (and maybe the drivers) mirror motor and post up the dimensions for me to compare? Trying to figure out if mine are "large" or if yours was an aftermarket replacement. Its odd that one would be larger than the other.

Yeah I know. Was hoping Mustang Chuck had the drivers side to measure so I could compare to the passenger that I have.

I dismantled the passenger side Fox mirror and it is identical to the drivers side.

I was actually referring to the original mirror. I would have guessed the late model mirrors were the same. That servo looks a little different than the ones I used. I'm sure if I can make those that I got work those can also be made to work.

Edit: See post #56, which was what I was referring to.

That picture is not the same servo as the Fox, merely showing the four little ring tabs on the perimeter of the mount interface. I'll post up some pics when I get out in the garage next.

I haven't gotten the fox body passenger mirror disassembled to compare the servo size. Chuck, could you measure your larger passenger (and maybe the drivers) mirror motor and post up the dimensions for me to compare? Trying to figure out if mine are "large" or if yours was an aftermarket replacement. Its odd that one would be larger than the other.

I will try to get into the garage this evening to take pictures and measurements. The passenger's side servo unit was about 1/2" maybe 3/4" wider in diameter. The glass and mounting plates were the same (just reversed) for both sides.

Chuck

Here are some pics of my Fox body (non-convertible) mustang mirror servo compared to the SN 95 passenger mirror servo. The first three are the Fox body, and the fourth one is the SN95. The outer ring on the fox body can be cut down to match the SN95 diameter. The overall depth of the servo was around 1.25" for both generations. Like I said, basically the same servos, just an added ring on the Foxy body that can be filed down and a different connector.

Also note the much more compact connector on the SN95 one, which would minimize the hole diameter in the mirror and door. Mike, did you obtain pigtails to connect to the oem sn95 mirrors or did you cut and splice? The Fox body connector is pretty big, but its still smaller than say a Weatherpak connector or three individual heatshrink terminals would be.

Here are the pictures of my servos. First picture has the driver's servo on the left and passenger's side servo on the right. The second is the backs of the plastic mounting plates.

The glass on the driver's side literally popped off in my hand as I started to pull the plastic holder off. The passenger's side was so glued down that some had leaked out onto the servo, gluing the holder down firmly. As you can see, I ended up cracking the glass (and still haven't released it from the holder). I needed to realize I needed heat to loosen the sticky glue.... :nono:

The diameters are as follows:

Driver's side: 2.839"

Passenger's side (without tabs): 3.394"

With tabs: 3.920"

I will end up buying a second driver's side servo, I think. The passenger's side I have is just too large. The four tabs hold the two pieces of this servo together, so I cannot trim them if I want it to stay together.

Chuck

It is possible. I would take apart my 95's mirror to confirm, but I don't want to risk breaking that glass as well. My passenger's side servo is also significantly different than MikeTyler's. It is also possible that the servo is what they used in 94 and changed to a smaller servo later. Dunno.

Chuck