Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Patch panel, fender lower corner, outer lh/ rh

I really want to use my original fenders for the sake maintaing good fitment to the doors and headlight buckets. I need/would like some help/advice here. Does anyone have any resources that I can tap into and get some repair panels? Maybe someone has some junk fenders that have been replaced and the lower sections are good to use. I am trying to avoid buying new fenders. I guess I could fab some sheet metal get it real close and let the body work do the rest. Looking for some experienced wisdom.

Thanks

Even with a complete bottom (anything less is a waste of time), you have a very rusty inner brace. Dont cut the skin until you get a patch panel and fit it. Then measure, then trace, then cut long, fit to the measurements, trim etc. At minimum media blast that inner support, use several coats of a rust treatment of your choice, 2k seal only after thats totally cured, then paint.

With that much rust, you may be better off getting some cheaper complete non-OEM fenders and cut them up for the patch panels.

The first time I restored my 69 I patched the lower fenders, doors, deck lid, and hood with all new metal (my rust wasn't nearly as bad as what you have) only to have rust bubbles reappear under the paint about 10 years later. Turns out all those double walled spots that I couldn't get to and completely kill the cancer kept growing until they ruined an otherwise beautiful paint job. Now mine was driven a few days a week and sometimes in the rain so if you plan to never drive in the rain you shouldn't have those problems.

Swearing to never go through that again, the second time around I replaced every piece of sheet metal that wasn't the actual uni-body with new (hood, fenders, doors, and deck lid and also treated the inside of the doors and backs of the fenders, cowl panel, and trunk interior with spray on bedliner). It was an absolute pain getting all the gaps lined up and parts to fit together but in the end it was definitely worth it.

So I'm a believer in cutting out all rust (the bigger patch panel the better) and welding in good virgin steel in it's place whenever possible especially in complex areas like the bottoms of fenders and doors if you want to sleep well at night and never have to worry about rust coming back, unless you have a super valuable rare model then patch away and try to keep as much OEM steel as possible.

Edited by MaxLT

Just get a rust repair panel from any mustang shop and fix it like fordrevhead said. Be sure you treat then seal the surface rust on the inner brace and it will last for the next 20 odd years. It's easy, just make sure to measure twice and cut once. And before you weld it up test fit it to the car.

I have searched high and low for patch panels and am convinced that there is no one there making them. If I cant get some junk fenders for patch panels then I have no choice to do what Daves69Coupe did.

Hey dave nice job. Do you have photos of the panel welded on to the fender to look at? Thanks to all for the replys

i would fix it like this. buy an aftermarket fender and use it to cut out patch panels and any of the inner fender support structure that you may need to replace.

from the right top of the your picture. start about an inch above the body line. cut a vertical line(in just the skin) about 1/4" inch to the left of the rounded edge and cut down to the bottom of the fender.

its hard to tell from the picture, but if the metal is good around the bottom curve, stop before it bends inward. from there(bottom right of fender) cut a horizontal line just above the bottom curve to to left side of the fender. stop about 1/4" from the rounded edge of the wheel well.

from there( bottom left of the fender) cut a vertical line about 1/4" to the right of the rounded edge. stop about an inch above the body line.

from there(top left of the fender) cut a horzintal line above the body line to the starting point.

the point is to use as much of the original fender as possible. especially true at the edges of the fender.

once the skin is removed you can see the inner support structure and discover that you have 10 times more work to do than you originally thought.

I have searched high and low for patch panels and am convinced that there is no one there making them. If I cant get some junk fenders for patch panels then I have no choice to do what Daves69Coupe did.

Hey dave nice job. Do you have photos of the panel welded on to the fender to look at? Thanks to all for the replys

Sorry I thought they were still making patch panels.

It's a pretty flat surface...why not just get some sheet metal and form it to fit the contour of the fender? You can flange it or try butt weld it in. I'm a total amateur and have done both methods. You are going to need some filler no matter what, so...? Maybe there is something I'm missing?