Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Losing my mind... and a few other things

I lost my car keys and had to replace both the door locks and the ignition switch. It was a good excuse to finally get around to replacing the driver's side door glass as it was the only glass that wasn't tinted. I also adjusted both sides to roll all the way up and seal tightly. Much better now.

While the door panels were off I also swapped out the door latches with the ones from a Cougar that had the door ajar switches and hooked up the wiring. Now the OIL light is actually a DOOR AJAR light.

To gain access to the trunk I forced the plastic repro trap door open and unbolted the trunk latch, only to realize I had added an electric trunk release some time ago, d'oh!

Now where did I put my sunglasses??

I feel for the guy someday after the car is gone that cant figure out why the oil light comes on only when the door is open lol. Even if it makes sense to you it would be pretty funny to see the look on someones face. :lol:

A few years ago a good buddy of mine dropped a new 302 into his '67 Stang. In his rush to get the motor running he installed a coolant tube into an intake passage, on his new aluminum intake. Yup... that was bad. First crank up of the new motor, and it hydro locked, bending a couple rods.

As he said... rookie move, after building cars for the last 30+ years. LOL

Been there, done that (too many times) Now, you'll find your original keys on your nightstand or in the glovebox....

I scoured the house for weeks looking for them, so they're not in any of the likely places. I'm sure someday they will turn up. I have a bad habit of leaving things in some pretty stupid places

those "while i'm at it's" are a bitch..

I knew when I started tearing the entire interior out that I would be tempted to do a lot more than what was on my initial "to do" list. After looking through the other project threads I've decided I should put LEDs in the instrument cluster before I put everything back together.

I'm also debating about adding more sound deadener. My biggest complaint when I drove across the country was the wind noise was so loud I couldn't hear the radio at all at speeds above 70 mph. And since my radio died last summer, that's another thing I need to replace. It never ends!

This "makeover" had to be put on hold due to a financial setback (thank you IRS) so I just started back on it recently.

How did you do adjusting the windows? Most say it's a real PITA! Have any suggestions?

It's one of the things I've never gotten around to. My car howls from wind noise on the highway and now the PS rear has gone so far out of adjustment it rattles against the front glass. Drives me nuts!

How did you do adjusting the windows? Most say it's a real PITA! Have any suggestions?

It's one of the things I've never gotten around to. My car howls from wind noise on the highway and now the PS rear has gone so far out of adjustment it rattles against the front glass. Drives me nuts!

It was much easier than I expected. I had put it off thinking it was going to be a PITA like you mentioned, but I just loosend the two bottom bolts, pulled the guides in as far as they would go and did a fit check. Then I eased them back out just enough to get a nice seat in the gasket. It didn't take much or long. It could probably be done with the door panel on, but with the panel off moving the guides is very easy.

After driving around for a while, I've come to really like my "OIL AJAR" light. This morning as I was heading off to work the light stayed on even after I shut my door hard. So I reached over and opened and shut the passenger door. Light went out just like it should. It will light up if the door is latched but not closed solid, just like it will on any modern car. I just need to have a new jewell made that says "DOOR" instead of "OIL".

One of the other mods I did didn't work out quite as well as intended; That is the relay I added to shut off the headlights when the key is removed. The problem is, it isn't connected to the tail lights, so it will still drain the battery if I forget to kill the lights, just not quite as fast.