Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Just ordered a set of magnums but can't decide on tire size

I just ordered a set of 15x7/15x8 magnum 500s with 4.25 and 4.5 backspacing. I know I have asked this question on here before but I'd like to know what you guys think about my tire size selection. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with 255/60/15 bfg's on the rear and I am debating on running either 225/60/15 or 235/60/15 on the front. Which do you guys think would look the best with my staggered wheels? Do you think the 235's will bulge a lot more than the 255's on the back or should I just go with 225's on the front? I like the fat tire look an wish I could go wider on the back also but I think that a 275/60 on the back will be to Tall because I don't want them rubbing. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Drew

Edited by 1969mustang

I went with 15 x 7 up front and 235s and 15 x 8s with 255s on back - i like the staggered look. You may check to see what a good width on 15 x 7s are - a lot of feedback I was getting was anything over 235s would look like they are buldging.

I am wondering the same thing , Tell us we want to know , where is it and who's is it ?

Actually it not a gas station but the guy who owns it has a lot of antiques and the outside is part of it. He allowed my local Mustang Club to have a meeting there several years ago and we made pictures of our cars in this setting.

Oh, it’s located in Charleston SC. :sleep:

Here's a Gogggle map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=charleston+sc&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1499&bih=647&wrapid=tlif133458457802410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=CSWMT-63HYiy8QSKooDACQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CD4Q_AUoAg

First off, Drew – good choice on the wheels. In my opinion the best looking wheel on the 69/70 mustangs.

Agreed with Jim in the prior post, and my set up as well. 15 x 7 magnums with 235/60's all around look perfect on these cars.

Regards,

Tony

First off, Drew – good choice on the wheels. In my opinion the best looking wheel on the 69/70 mustangs.

Agreed with Jim in the prior post, and my set up as well. 15 x 7 magnums with 235/60's all around look perfect on these cars.

Regards,

Tony

Same setup here. I like having all four tires the same size in case of a flat. Which reminds me, I need to get a spare!

I went with 15 x 7 up front and 235s and 15 x 8s with 255s on back - i like the staggered look. You may check to see what a good width on 15 x 7s are - a lot of feedback I was getting was anything over 235s would look like they are buldging.

Thanks for the info!

Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks,

Drew

here is pic of it out for the first time. rear springs have not settled. I expected it to be lower because the springs are 1" dropped. patiently waiting for them to drop. the front TCP coil over is adjusted very low. its headed to the align shop wed.

Hope this helps

I'm running 255's on the back and 235's on the front. See pictures in my pix link below. My car is lowered 1" ft and back. The rear tires rub a little when I hit dips in the road. When I burn the 255's off I'm going with 235's all the way around. I personally wouldn't go with anything smaller.

yeah, a bit too much rake for me. it hasnt seen the bumps in the road yet and the 100+ Texas heat hasnt got a chance to do its magic to anything rubbery. wonder if mfr makes a diff? then again there is always drop blocks. I dont like the idea of going over an inch considering the geometry and those after effects.

color is a 2009 dark candy apple red metallic from a 2009 Mustang. Sunlight adds alot to it.:001_tt1:

I'm running 255's on the back and 235's on the front. See pictures in my pix link below. My car is lowered 1" ft and back. The rear tires rub a little when I hit dips in the road. When I burn the 255's off I'm going with 235's all the way around. I personally wouldn't go with anything smaller.

Great looking car!

Do you have 15x7 all around or are they staggered?

here is pic of it out for the first time. rear springs have not settled. I expected it to be lower because the springs are 1" dropped. patiently waiting for them to drop. the front TCP coil over is adjusted very low. its headed to the align shop wed.

Hope this helps

Sharp looking car! Thanks for the pic, maybe your springs will settle. I also have that problem. I bought a factory replacement set from mustangs unlimited about 5 years ago but the car has still not been driven.

I have no rubbing at all on the 255s even with passengers in the back. But running 4 1/2 standard leaf springs and not lowered in back - using 1 " lowering coils in front and cut off about 1/2 of coil to get stance I want.

Hate to get off track here so to start with as I’ve already said, yes the 235 x 60 x 15’s on my 15 x7 Magnum 500’s fit, handle, and look great. When I first got my car the previous owner had an older set of Magnum’s that were 14 x 7 with 245/60/14’s which was a little rusty and pitted in places. There was a little rub on the front at lock to lock when turning tightly but other than that not bad. However I went with 15" when replacement time came as I wanted the taller wheel and bigger selection for tires.

The settling spring thing/ “science†is something else. The springs on my ’70 Mach had been cut to lower the car. I liked the look and stance, however by looking at the condition of the springs, I felt they were original and changed them out for a set of 1†drop Variable Rate Coil Springs thinking it would improve the ride and handling after 40+ years. I kept those in for about a month or more waiting on them to “drop†as the car sat several inches higher. Also although the springs were rated stiffer/larger coil diameter than the originals, they were too “bouncy†going down the highway. I finally swapped them out for my original 1â€cut coils again. I regained my better handling ride and lost the bounce but the car still sits slightly higher than before I started. So now I'm cluess when it comes to rec ommending springs for ride height (LOL).

1969Mustang, I'm running original Magnum 500's 15x7 with 4" BS all the way around.

Palerider, I'm running 4-1/2 Mid-eye Grab-A-track (175 lb/in spring rate), which lower the rear 1" and 1" lowering springs w/550# rate up front. KYB GR-2 shocks on all four corners.

Friends who ride with me are amazed at how well it rides and handles. The 255's rub just a little and my front finders have the Boss lip roll.

Here's a picture right after I got the wheels and tires. I still don't have a good shot yet. I haven't lowered anything yet. Hopefully rebuilding the suspension will start this week.

Etel64, Did you get the TCP coil overs that use the upper "A" arm? I just ordered a pair.

I will be posting my design of heim jointed strut rods that I just made soon.

Jim

Here's a picture right after I got the wheels and tires. I still don't have a good shot yet. I haven't lowered anything yet. Hopefully rebuilding the suspension will start this week.

Etel64, Did you get the TCP coil overs that use the upper "A" arm? I just ordered a pair.

I will be posting my design of heim jointed strut rods that I just made soon.

Jim

Great looking car! Very clean appearance.