Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Auto Shift Selector Light

I took my shift selector apart the other day and saw that the PO had spliced a second light bulb in there. I studied it for a moment and both were lying in there and not attached to anything. Not sure if something is broken or missing but just how many bulbs are supposed to be in there and where do they attach? All I can think of is that you need one light to illuminate the letters to see what position your selector is in.

I've got the pictures and will post in the morning. There is one light that fits in a housing attached to the shifter.

My bulb was good but no power. I need to track down the disconnected wire.

Here is a side view showing the housing connected to the shifter. And a view from the back looking towards the dash.

I already removed the black plastic arc that goes under the clear bezel. The bulb is removed from the housing in the second picture but still in it's socket. I'm calling the gray metal part the housing (kind of a shade that directs the light) and what the bulb gets power from the socket.

If anyone has ideas on where to track down the disconnected wire let me know. Someone said it might be an under the hood wire I found at the back of the block that is not plugged into anything.

Edited by TexasEd

Thanks Ed! I have the socket and the housing that directs the light but it is laying loose. How is your's attached to theshifter? I also have a second light socket without a housing that is just laying loose also.

Mike,

It looks like it was slipped over the shifter. It guess would have had to been installed before the handle was put on. There is a small screw with hex head in the second picture but I don't know how it is holding it without looking at it again.

Mine looks like it is broke. The socket and housing is seperated from that bracket that is attached to your shifter. These shifters are pretty common so maybe I can find the light assy. somewhere. Thanks for all your help Ed!

Guys- I happen to have my shifter out, which I recently refurbed. I've attached some pics I took here. I also looked into my 69 elec assm manual, but couldn't find a diagram of this.

In my car, There is only one bulb, and that goes into the silver housing that attaches via the setscrew to the shifter shaft. That housing looks completely opaque, but I believe it has a slot that lets light go into the edge of the clear plastic indicator. This provides a cool, subtle light that illuminates only the letters right at the indicator. Mine also had a nice teal translucent piece of plastic placed flat against the clear plastic indicator, that I believe gave off a blue light (haven't proven that yet).

I suspect that, in your case of 2 bulbs, the PO must have wanted more light coming from the shifter housing, and just spliced in another small bulb to do that. I'd recommend getting that out of there.

I'm hoping this helps you guys... :)

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

Yes. I got my bulb working, it was disconnected under the hood.

Jay, I need to clean mine up like yours. I'm also missing a grommet because I can see the transmission bell housing through the floor under the shift bezel.

Ed- Yes, my grommit was a little crumbly, but plyable enough to get it out and back in. Find a new one if you can - I never looked. If you find a vendor, let me know as I could still replace mine (as I have a lot of work to do before this goes back in). That grommit is kinda odd as it fills a hole that is right in the middle of a 45deg bend in the side of the main housing, so it's shaped oddly (if I remember right).

Mike- hope you have good luck on finding one of those bulb housings. You can get a whole shifter for something like 80-90$, but you'd hate to do that just for a shifter light. You might be able to make something out of a solid chunk of plastic or something (maybe even wood?) if you found the right material that was machinable.

Good luck guys.

Here is what I have. The bulb without the housing will slide into the bracket on the shifter but will not lock into place. It just sits in there and can slide out easily. The other bulb with that funny housing with a hole in it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Both were laying loose under the shift selector plate when I took it off. I'm at a loos, I guess the "naked" bulb goes into the housing on the shifter but what holds it in place?

In the first picture the bulb that is laying there is in a socket more like the one my car has. It has some bent flanges that provide friction to hold it in the housing. The housing looks like it is mounted on your shifter in the second picture. The "bare" bulb slides in from the back.

My car does not have that blue piece at all. Mine is more like Jay's. Is yours a C-6?

I have an FMX Transmission. The blue thing is the netural safety switch. The bare bulbwillslide in thebracket mounted on the shifter. The bulb with the hole in it doesn't seem to mount anywhere. It will not fit in the bracket on the shifter.

Thanks the FMX must use a different neutral safety. I thought so.

The bare bulb will slide in the bracket mounted on the shifter.

That matches mine (C4). When the bulb is on a sliver of light will shine up next to the shifter arm illuminating the letter or number corresponding to the shifter position.

The other bulb is still a mystery to me. May need to find someone with an FMX and see what they have.

What confuses me is that it looks like the PO wired the bare bulb in. The one with the hole looks to be stock...Not sure. My PO hacked a lot of wiring up, hence the AWW upgrade I'm in the middle of. Surprised this thing hasn't caught fire & burned up from his hace jobs! LOL

Here is my shifter with e bulb in the housing and the lights on.

You can see that mine does have a rubber cover at the base that yours is missing.

Maybe the FMX used the housing you show originally and the P.O. replaced the shifter and had to wire in the C4 type light? Just a WAG.

Mine is like your's Ed. I have the same housing and the little slit on top that the light shines through. I see the little tabs on my bare bulb. I'll just spread them out and they will fit and hold perfectly. I have the original tranny & shifter. Guess I'll just remove the light that has the hole in it. Wish I knew what that is for? Thanks for going out of your way for the help.

Mike

Several years ago I replaced my bulb with 2 blue LED's. One LED is close to the R and one close to the 2 on the display. They provide great illumination all the time. They are attached to the plastic piece (that has the PRND12 on it) on the underside. LEDs will last forever and should work fine. I thougth of making a kit that includes everything needed for this and try selling it. I could probably make it for about $20, sell it for about $30. Do you suppose people would buy it?