Sign in to follow this  
BRADVAN

Headlights quit

Last Saturday I drove the car and the headlights and gauge lights worked. Monday evening the headlights and gauge lights did not work. When I pulled the headlight switch to on position it looked like the headlights were casting a faint yellow beam on the garage door. I turned the swich off and back on and had no headlights or gauge lights. Tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals all work fine. So should I be looking for a bad fuse, bad light switch, bad dimmer/high beam switch, or any other ideas? The car is a 69 coupe assembled from a basket case. All the wiring was in place and I have not modified the wiring except to put in a floor mounted dimmer/high beam switch. I have replaced the four "old" headlights with new "15% brighter Sylvania" headlights. Dome light and courtesy light have never worked.

Was the car running when you were testing the headlights on Monday? I'd check the battery first. The new halogen lights draw more power than the old filament headlights. Hope it's just battery related, wiring gremlins are a PITA.

The car was running when I tried to turn on the headlights. Battery is new with a new 100amp one-wire alternator (oops forgot that in the originaL post). I'll test for power to the headlights tomorrow when I get off work. I can run by the parts store and see how much power the new headlights draw. At what level should I be thinking of putting in a relay for the headlights?

Had the same problem with mine and it was the headlight switch. However a bad connection from the switch to the plug is just as likely. I would pull the plug on and off the switch a few times just to make sure it is not a bad earth. I would also wiggle any plugs on the headlights etc. just to check for bad connections.

I'll stick in my stock response to eletrical problem threads: Clean the terminals in the fuse box, even if they don't look dirty, clean the connections on the head light swtich and the wiring harness. With electrical problems, always start with the most simple and work up. At least that is the lesson life has taught me, again and again and again.

It sure sounds like a bad headlight switch, but it could be the wires instead. One thing to try is to unplug the headlights on one side and see if the other side then is bright. That will tell you if the extra power needed for brighter bulbs is causing the problem. My guess is that it is not.

Your existing switch should work for headlights that take more power, I have been using Halogen lights with factory switch and wires for years.

A headlight relay system will definately make your lights brighter and make your switch last longer. It could solve your problem if you have a weak switch, bad connections, or bad wires. But I say get what you have now working, and if you want brighter lights add the relay.

Well, the problem ended up being the wires to the highbeam switch on the floor had come unplugged. I had replace th floor pans, replaced the highbeam switch, and installed new carpet. The wires going under the carpet were just a little short and putting my foot on the carpet enough times unplugged the wires. Lengthend the wires and no more proble,. so far.