Sign in to follow this  
jag

Pony Carbs

I don't know. There is a lot of talk about this on the FE forum. One of the members that says he know Jon, the owner of Pony Carbs, says he confirmed that he died. I can't confirm or deny that it's true though. There is a guy in NY that worked for Pony Carbs there before they moved and has his own carb restoration business now. Here's a link to his web site. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2gsgu/index.html

I don't know. There is a lot of talk about this on the FE forum. One of the members that says he know Jon, the owner of Pony Carbs, says he confirmed that he died. I can't confirm or deny that it's true though. There is a guy in NY that worked for Pony Carbs there before they moved and has his own carb restoration business now. Here's a link to his web site. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2gsgu/index.html

yep, I bolted a 600 autolite they rebuilt for me back in '97 on my then 351W. I then drove from Southern Maryland up to DC and down to Dallas, Texas without a problem and with excellent gas mileage. I've never had a carb that was as maintenance free and performed so well across the board.

yep, I bolted a 600 autolite they rebuilt for me back in '97 on my then 351W. I then drove from Southern Maryland up to DC and down to Dallas, Texas without a problem and with excellent gas mileage. I've never had a carb that was as maintenance free and performed so well across the board.

I was afraid he might be out of business. I wanted him to go over a stock 4300. I am trying to stay stock. Does anyone know if someone else does 4300s like Jon did? Carbon tooters does not do 4300s.

JAG

Despite the terrible experience with my 4300 purchased from Pony (a complete waste of $700 in the end – covered on another thread here) this is very sad news. Jon was undeniably a man dedicated to trying to provide a quality product. But as we all know, not everything always works out perfectly with one’s product. My sincere condolences to his family.

I was afraid he might be out of business. I wanted him to go over a stock 4300. I am trying to stay stock. Does anyone know if someone else does 4300s like Jon did? Carbon tooters does not do 4300s.

JAG

Try "All American Carburetors"

. . . Carbon tooters does not do 4300s JAG

Maybe for good reason.

I tried everything possible to make the ‘concourse restored’ 4300 work on my 351W as I really wanted to keep the engine stock. The Pony claim was that the carb was internally improved to correct the original factory performance flaws. But after being put on and taken off more times than new bride's dress I had to give up.

The general consensus seems to be that “they are junk”. I checked with several carb techs here and no one wanted to touch it. Someone on the forum along with others said to dump the 4300 and put on a Holley 600, which I did and it’s been smooth sailing since.

Regards,

T.

Tony 63C I already have a 1967 Holley from a 390. It is Ok but when it gets cold (winter) it always starts to leak at the Carb screws. I tighten them up and it stops leaking but not before my intake paint ends up discolored. Pain in the butt!

JAG

Jag, my Holley was purchased brand new - at half the cost of the Pony restored 4300. The only required alteration was eliminating the rear PCV fitting so that the stock accelerator linkage bracket would fit. It's worked flawlessly straight out of the box. Two thumbs up for the Holley from this corner.

Cheers,

T.

Thanks Bobh67 I had not heard of All American Carburetors. Looked at the website and it looks promising. I will have to give them a call later in the year.

JAG

I too had major problems with Pony Carbs. I won't go on about details for respect to Jon....But I have dealt with All American carbs since and I can say they are the BEST.Personable ,knowledgeable and professional!!!