Sign in to follow this  
mwye0627

69 Coupe - What's it worth?

I am currently looking to buy a 69 coupe project car.

One I'm looking at needs 1 Fender, 1 door skin, 1 Door Shell, quarters, outer wheel houses, torque boxes and floorboards. The interior needs all new upholstery and dash pad. It's an original 302 - C4 car but it's missing the engine. However, everything else is there. All good glass and trim. What do you think this one would be worth?

Thanks,

Mike

I agree, that particular car looks to be worth less than the sum of all its still usable parts added up, it needs more than it has and wouldn't even be a good donor car much less restoration. Even if it were free it would cost more in the long run than starting with a better car.

Welcome to the site btw, if you still decide to go with this car we'll support you and give you all the help we can along the way.

how long has it been sitting like that out in the open? where are you located? some more pics would help but just guessing that it's been gutted and picked at and sitting outside... yeah.. scrap value or there about.

how are the frame rails? has anything been done to it?

i've seen people start with worse, but they had a fully supplied shop and the tools and talent to do it right. also the $$.

I think mine was originally that bad when the PO bought it. He did some sheetmetal replacement on the front half of the car, and the floor pans. Then he noticed the secrets that the back have revealed and sold it immediately..........to me...... and a very good price. Having said that, I've replaced both rear quarter skins, tail panel, corner piece, both lower trunk extensions, front and rear valance, one door skin, hood etc.... I have a ton of hours invested in other body work too, but that's what I signed up for. I love working on it.

My point is, if you start a project such as this, you may end up being the guy who is gung ho and dumps some money and time into it only to lose interest, then sell it at a financial loss. Without knowing your abilities, it's hard to say. Something to think about.

DRASTIK makes a good point about the guy who dumps a heap of time and money into a project only to loose interest in it because it gets too hard. It is something I personally have done and the projects part of this forum has more unfinished projects than finished. And while people will make excuses as to this in that getting in the way the fact of the matter is it just got too hard and interest wanes.

I guess the point is this car needs ALOT of work. And if you do not have ALOT of money to pay others to fix it for you then you had better have ALOT of experience with all aspects of the automotive trade. I'm going to sound like a broken record but people always think everything is easy when someone else has done it. But when the time comes to do it themselves the reality bites.

While this all sounds very negative it is just because I don't want others to make the same stupid mistakes I have.

Having said that if you know your stuff then by all means have a crack at it. :001_smile:

When I acquired my Coupe it was a parts car, it had no engine or trans, no interior, or doors, & had a rotted out l/s fender. I have had it for 10 years & work on it when I have the time usually on my days off & when I save some money I buy parts. I have worked around moving 4 times & 1 failed business venture, but I keep plugging away at it. I know it needs alot of work, but I love tinkering with it & want the enjoyement of driving it when it is finished. If I get frustrated I walk away for a couple hours, or a couple days, & then go back at it until it is done.

Mike.