Sign in to follow this  
Vegassman

Vegassman's '69 Coupe Progress

You're replacing your shifter knob with Sierra Nevada bottles??? :thumbup1:

I make every mod with beer bottles!

Why would you replace a chrome skull shifter?!? Nothing says classic muscle car than one of those. If it had red led eyes I will be even more upset

Hah...it's a little over the top. Simplicity...plus, I don't trust valet to know the shift pattern.

Okay...so my first lesson is learned. Always expect to be duped by the seller...even if they are ex law enforcement.

Was checking header clearances while considering if I should cut springs a little...and saw a pool of fluid on the floor. At first, I thought it was oil, but didn't smell like it. Broke out the floor jack and....

DSCF1217.JPG

Notice the putty around it. Dude busted the trans housing and pieced it back together to sell. I got it home, but that patch job didn't last long I guess.

At least he was good enough to throw in a T5 out of an '88 with the deal. I'll be taking that to a local shop for inspection this weekend. Looks like my next mod is a trans swap!

So it begins...

Edit---------------

Is that just the bellhousing? Easier fix than replacement?

Edited by Vegassman

lesson learned to inspect top and bottom before buying. Seeing that reminds me of a apprentice I had that broke a flex plate bolt and used silicone to hold it in place instead of saying something :huh:. What are some of your plans for mods ? Are you doing a full restore or just certain thing ? Enjoy no matter what !

lesson learned to inspect top and bottom before buying. Seeing that reminds me of a apprentice I had that broke a flex plate bolt and used silicone to hold it in place instead of saying something :huh:. What are some of your plans for mods ? Are you doing a full restore or just certain thing ? Enjoy no matter what !

Took an expert with me to do inspection. He's restored his 67 coupe from the ground up. We both missed it. I think it was patched up and we just glanced past it.

I'm making a driver. Full restoration may come a few years down the road.

I actually like the 3 speed, but already have the T5. I also got the 5.0 block and internals with the purchase, and was going to plan a rebuild of that and swap both together.

I love my T5 .. If you're building a driver you'll save some bucks with the overdrive. Best mod in the world right there.

I took mine over to a shop and had it rebuilt since I got it from Craig's List. I ran a cable clutch since I don't like plumbing hydraulic lines, still getting things broken in but since the weather has been amazing, I'll be out this afternoon.

I love my T5 .. If you're building a driver you'll save some bucks with the overdrive. Best mod in the world right there.

I took mine over to a shop and had it rebuilt since I got it from Craig's List. I ran a cable clutch since I don't like plumbing hydraulic lines, still getting things broken in but since the weather has been amazing, I'll be out this afternoon.

Yeah...after scouring the interwebz for the right bellhousing to match up to the 302 and 3 speed, and coming up short. It seems like the T5 is the way to go. Especially since I already have the trans.

I'll throw it in the Jeep and take it to a local shop for inspection.

Any recommendations on a good bellhousing? I don't need race quality parts. Daily driver.

Just get a stock T5 bell out of a fox body mustang then. They can be had used for around $75.

If you want to keep your Z bar, you'll need to get an adapter for the clutch fork fulcrum point (Modern Driveline), or you can go cable - but if you have long tube headers the cable will burn up quickly because of the heat where it needs to be run through the headers.

I went T5 when i first bought mine and never regretted it!

So..started tearing down tonight. Time to get rid of all the crappy damaged parts....

Removed the corner panels and took off the spikes the previous owner had bolted in the trim holes....

DSCF3002.JPG

Pulled all the rear seat and panel components. No rust....good sign!

DSCF3005.JPG

Door panels off...that's some old cardboard and glue...not rust.

DSCF3007.JPG

Owner threw in a box of Scott Drake window/door parts. That'll help when I put the bolt-in windows in.

DSCF3008.JPG

Removed the plastic grill held in by wires and random screws. Going to get a nice billett grill replacement. Also pulled the dinged up hood chrome trim. How do you get the rest of the chrome off???

DSCF3011.JPG

On the way to recovery. Hope to have the bellhousing in a few days and get that replaced. Then off to blasting!

So..started tearing down tonight. Time to get rid of all the crappy damaged parts....

Removed the corner panels and took off the spikes the previous owner had bolted in the trim holes....

DSCF3002.JPG

Pulled all the rear seat and panel components. No rust....good sign!

DSCF3005.JPG

Door panels off...that's some old cardboard and glue...not rust.

DSCF3007.JPG

Owner threw in a box of Scott Drake window/door parts. That'll help when I put the bolt-in windows in.

DSCF3008.JPG

Removed the plastic grill held in by wires and random screws. Going to get a nice billett grill replacement. Also pulled the dinged up hood chrome trim. How do you get the rest of the chrome off???

DSCF3011.JPG

On the way to recovery. Hope to have the bellhousing in a few days and get that replaced. Then off to blasting!

So....swapped carbs yesterday.

The 302 had an Edelbrock 1408 on it. A couple of the vacuum ports had rubber caps and were cracking. The carb was dirty and just didn't seem to idle too well. When I removed it, a single washer fell off the bottom. Why one washer??? The rubber gasket looked fine, so that stayed.

The seller threw in a 1406 with the car. It looked only slightly used. Pretty clean. It had a spacer attached to it, and I couldn't really figure out how the spacer mounted to the intake manifold, so I removed it. I bolted up the carb, and connected 2 lines and it fired up, but the idle was erratic and high. After a little YouTube education, I pulled the idle mixture screws, wiped them down, and blew out the holes with a compressor. I put them all the way in hand-tight, and backed them out 1 1/2 turns. Fired right up and idle was nice. Took it down the street and it pulled really strong. Lit up the tires much easier than I expected in a 302. Happy with how she runs!

So....swapped carbs yesterday.

The 302 had an Edelbrock 1408 on it. A couple of the vacuum ports had rubber caps and were cracking. The carb was dirty and just didn't seem to idle too well. When I removed it, a single washer fell off the bottom. Why one washer??? The rubber gasket looked fine, so that stayed.

The seller threw in a 1406 with the car. It looked only slightly used. Pretty clean. It had a spacer attached to it, and I couldn't really figure out how the spacer mounted to the intake manifold, so I removed it. I bolted up the carb, and connected 2 lines and it fired up, but the idle was erratic and high. After a little YouTube education, I pulled the idle mixture screws, wiped them down, and blew out the holes with a compressor. I put them all the way in hand-tight, and backed them out 1 1/2 turns. Fired right up and idle was nice. Took it down the street and it pulled really strong. Lit up the tires much easier than I expected in a 302. Happy with how she runs!