Sign in to follow this  
Jaded69

Your favorite 1969 Mach 1 color

You should have made this a poll. I would have to say Acapulco blue or medum bright blue metallic. I do like Plum Crazy purple but only on my Cuda.

That was an interesting visual - dont believe I have ever seen a purple Mach 1.

Thats probably a good thing...

this is not an easy answer because there are much cool colors for 1969, I would say champagne gold or indian fire and others....

I don't know if is already happen but a couple of times I had a strange dream where I back in a 1969 showroom and I ordered a Mustang with the rarest and coolest options, but is just a dream and my car still waiting the restoration end....:glare:

My parents had a 1978 Champagne Gold Country Squire at the time I got my original Mustang Recognition Guide in 1981 so when I saw the '69 Mach 1 on pages 154-155 that really caught my attention. I had never seen a '69 Mach painted this color prior, so it really stood out. This color would NOT look good (IMO) on anything plain ... it needs the "black" Mach accents just as it needed the woodgrain on the Country Squire.

At this time, I was also looking for a color to paint my '69 that was currently painted a dull silver ... being 18 I was definitely NOT going to go back to it's original "Lime Gold".

I wanted a RED and did not want Candy Apple (had a parts-car '69 Sportsroof with original paint and thought it was too dull) so somehow the owner of the Mustang of Chicago store talked me into Boss 302 Calypso Coral as it was his favorite "RED" ... even though he could NOT find a picture to show me. What a surprise when I went to pick up my freshly painted car to see that Calypso Coral is friggin' ORANGE !!

The factory 1969 Mustang color selection really was a huge variety (16 total per the "Facts Book") but nothing that would really WOW an 18 year old in 1981. 31 years later, I can probably now say I've seen a Mach 1 in every available factory color, and I still think the very uncommon Champagne Gold is really sharp on a Mach 1.

As you can see from my sig, I've ordered 4 brand new Mustangs since 1994 and I will say that color selection has always been a big process. Being able to see all the colors in person (and on a Mustang) prior to ordering has been a must so I would have done the same back in 1969.

Soooooo to answer the big question ... if I were able to go back in time and order a new 1969 Mach 1 today, it would have probably been between Acapulco Blue & Champagne Gold with Black Stripes & Interior.

Doug

For 1969, I would go Acapulco Blue first, then Indian Fire Red, both with Gold stripes. 3rd would be Champagne Gold.

For 1970, Calypso Coral first, Grabber Orange 2nd.

Different choices for different body styles, of course....

I always liked the red with black interior, but now that I have a black jade car, that color is growing on me. Has anyone ever seen a black jad car with stripes other than yellow? If a midnight metallic blue with yellow stripes was an option, I might have went that way.

I've always liked Grabber Blue the best. Almost went with Grabber Blue when restoring my 69 Mach 1 but thought the car would retain more value by sticking to the original Meadolark Yellow. The Grabber Blue still looks beter though.

I am really weird about stuff like that. They never made Grabber Blue 69 Machs, so that would look weird to me. Calypso Coral might be my favorite all time Ford color but a 69 Mach in that color would just be too weird to me.

If the factory didn't make it that way, I usually don't like it.

I think the 69 Calypso Coral #3 color is the coolest. It's different than the 70 Calypso shade all together. I believe it was also referred to as school bus yellow by PJones. Would love to have a Calypso Coral 69 Boss 429 and a Plum Crazy 70 Hemi Cuda, both with white interiors.

hmmm, well acapulco blue is my all time favorite but i also like winter blue, presidential blue, wimbledon white and of all things black jade, my coupe was originally lime gold but earl scheib had painted it black jade long before i got it and the lady said she was sure surprised when she went to pick the car up and saw that they had changed the color....they weren;t supposed to but she said she liked it so much she didn't bitch about it to them to much, just enough for them to give her a discount.

i'm actually having that good old internal debate right now, all along i've been planning on painting my 69 cougar acapulco blue but lately i've started leaning towards winter blue in part because the car was originally light aqua, us mustang guys call it aztec aqua, which we all know is sort of a baby blue green or really light turquoise color, so i was thinking that painting it winter blue would be staying more true to the original color than acapulco blue and im not repainting it light aqua, my wife doesn't even like that color...lol. so the debate continues, acapulco blue or winter blue? this car is also a factory two-tone car with a white painted roof which i plan on keeping as it will probably help keep the car cool in the summer.

I think we need to start backing up or choices with examples of WHY we prefer them over other colors. Will make this thread a little more interesting. Here's an example of why I like the medium bright or Acapulco blue cars:

2776839922_484df4e92e_b.jpg

What! No votes for Aztec Aqua. My Mach is an original Aztec(Carolina blue ugh!) which is now painted red.

not as bad as lime gold but it's not far from it either......my 69 cougar is aztec aqua and even my wife hates it.....LOL, as a matter of fact one the previous owners and also a friend of mine is gay and even didn't like the color much either......now that's saying something when a gay guy and a chick both hate the color.

sorry, couldn't help throwing that out there!!!!....LOL

my GT was originally lime gold and was actually painted black jade whan i bought it, i kinda like the black jade but couldn't stand the lime gold. so it's now acapulco blue.

haven't made up my mind whether i'm gonna paint the cougar acapoulco blue or winter blue, yet but at the moment i'm leaning heavily towards winter blue