Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Release tension on parking brake cable

I tried for an answer over at VMF which is usually good for quick responses. I'm trying to get the parking brake cable out of the interior parking brake mechanism so I can replace it. I've removed the pin and clip and have crawled all under the car trying to find a method of getting some slack but no luck. What am I missing?

Man, I was working on that yesterday and gave up as it didn't seem to be doing anything. OK, thanks...I'll take it all the way off.

I'm still in awe of you craftsmanship and attention to detail. I wish I had half your talent.

I have a slightly different problem.

My brake seems to work fine but after pulling the release handle the handle does not go back into it's default position and the next time you set the brake the clicking/ratchet does not engage and the brake will not set. You have to manually push the release handle all the way in until the ratchet will catch.

I looked at the assembly diagrams from the book I downloaded at fordmanuals.com and I don't see anything in the picture about the handle return. I don't even see the handle.

When I looked under the dash there was a spring hanging from the bracket on one side and nothing on the other so I attached the free end around the handle rod close to where it attaches to the rest of the assembly. It still does not work and from looking at other pictures I don't think it is right.

Here is what it looks like now:

d17e0e15.jpg

How is this release lever supposed to work with regard to returning to place after you pull it? Are you supposed to manually push it or is it supposed to return on its own.

I assume the spring goes somewhere but looking at it on your back upside down from a shallow angle does not make it easy to figure out.

Edit: Now I think I might remember adding that spring when I was 16 and it may not belong there.

Edited by TexasEd

Also I looked for parts and found:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/parking-brake-lever-return-spring-1969-1970/p/HW1168/

This does not have any hooks on it and does not look like the spring in my picture.

Does this spring go around the release lever where the end goes through the hole and pushes the lever back as opposed to the way the spring on there pulls the lever?

If so, does the rubber stop for the pedal get in the way?

Edited by TexasEd

Morning TexasEd,

From looking at your assembly I would suggest removing it, giving it a good cleaning and use some spray lithium grease to get it working smoothly again. It appears to be gummed up with 40+ year old grease. My assembly does not have the spring as in your picture and it works just fine.

Also, the spring you posted the link too goes underneath the car near the transmission cross member after it runs through the driver's side torque box. Bruce

My handle did the same thing after I stepped on it instead of the actual pedal. I'm guessing the same happened to yours at some point in the past. Even after I straighted it out I couldn't get it to return properly and had to push it in by hand...that was with the spring attached.

I'd have to look at my car to see how the spring is setup. I just don't remember if your picture is correct or not.

Thanks,

It could be bent. I think my spring may actually be from a lawnmower from when I was in high school and mowing a lot of lawns.

If anyone can post a picture of how the assembly is supposed to look installed please do. The CJ Pony parts spring I listed is called the "PARKING BRAKE LEVER RETURN SPRING 1969-1970"

Which sounds like it is for the handle return. When I looked at some reproduction/replacement units they had a spring around the arm between the weld and where it goes through the hole/guide.

definitely clean and degrease it for starters. then apply lithium grease like someone mentioned. what i did was added a spring around the guide rod for the cable release handle, like crazyhorse mentioned, then added a rubber grommet to hold it in place. there seams to be a brass one in your pic in the same place i put the rubber grommet.

Most of the return spring pressure comes from the spring that is surrounding the adjustment rod that is underneath the car. If this spring is gone then the parking brake lever will not return. Look at the second response (the first response from BuckeyDemon) and it shows the spring that I am referring to. You might want to remove the cable that goes from the parking brake lever to the adjuster under the car and make sure it slides freely. If it is grungy it may be the source of the pakring brake lever not returning to its seated position.

You will find that if your brake mechanism is missing the spring and bushing on the return lever, it will be very sloppy/loose when you pull the handle. With the bushing and spring, it removes a lot of the play and will pull the handle back nicely. Mine was missing both and appears just like what Buckeye shows in his pic. After a bushing, grease, and compression spring from a local hardware store the handle is smooth as butter :)

Cruzzar,

The spring under the car is there and the pedal returns to its place like it is supposed to. The handle does not.

buening,

That's what I thought. From my picture it looks like I have the bushing in place and I have the spring ordered so I should be good.

I'll follow the advice to clean it up and re-grease once the spring gets here.

Yup, spring under the car returns the pedal but does not affect the handle. That is what the spring on the handle shafts is for. Now enjoy getting that spring on there ;) You will have to pry one of the two tabs that the handle slides on and not break it. A screwdriver worked for me, and a hammer gently used to return the tab once you get the spring on and handle reinstalled.

I was wondering how to get the handle off.

I think my handle must have been stepped on and the weld broke at some time before. You can see what looks like a newer/unpainted weld. That was probably when the spring got lost.

Granted I used non factory spring, why not get one end of spring thr ew whole and around shaft, or even just spin it around shaft entirely, until it is in place. Less of a chance breaking tab or causing binding.

I don't think that is possible. There is a brass looking bushing that fills the hole the arm goes through. You can see it in my picture and also where the paint is worn off the handle from going through it.

And hooking it around shaft and spinning it into place? I'd try that before prying on it. Like I said, run the risk of metal fatigue on the tab, and if you don't put it back in the right spot you have bringing, or it will have too much play.

As I mention, mine had neither, so I use spring from hardware store and a rubber grommet with id just larger than shaft.

A tidbit of info, the original had a plastic bushing to hold the spring in place. The factory likely slid the spring onto the shaft through the hole in the parking brake housing, and then installed the plastic bushing. After a few years of metal rubbing the plastic bushing, the bushing breaks and falls off and then the spring shoots out. This is the reason why many have the bushing and spring missing. Not one of ford's better ideas. Below is a pic of an original bushing and spring

$%28KGrHqMOKp%21E6Ww7%29rDlBOwuy%29V35Q%7E%7E60_58.JPG