Sign in to follow this  
Jaded69

My 1969 mach 1 restomod

Ive been wanting a 69 mach 1 since I was about 15 years old. this past june I finally got one. :biggrin: And then left on deployment for Uncle Sams Marine Corps in July :tank:. Now that im back Im getting started on the restoration.:thumbup: It was orignally a 351W 4V with a 4 speed, black jade black interior. I plan to build it to look stock but with a 408 or 427 stroker and better suspension etc. Im planning to paint it raven black with red mach 1 stripes and a black interior. Im a noob when it comes to restorations so im sure ill be needing plenty of help from ya'll on here :scared: any advice before i really dive into this restoration would really help me out with it is stuff that you guys learned the hard way or whatever. Ive always been a chevy guy but still love the mach 1s. This car is goin to need full floors a torque box wheel wells trunk floor and partial quarters replaced. One question I have off the bat is about the quarter panels ; the rust in the quarters on both sides is only around the wheels but i was wondering would it be easier to repair them with a patch or to just go ahead and put full quarters in on both sides? Also i had a question about the repro door shells made for the 69 mustangs ; for those of you that have used them hows the fit? does everything line up real well or did you have to do some tweaking? :bored:because im also debating wether to get to new door shells or get just the door skins to repair the lower portion of both doors where there is some rust.

thanks!

Neal

Edited by Jaded69

im also debating wether to get to new door shells or get just the door skins to repair the lower portion of both doors where there is some rust.

thanks!

Neal

Welcome to the forum Neal, and thanks for your service. In regard to your doorskin/ doorshell question, check in the project progress section and look for ak70stang's build. He used a repo shell on one side and noticed that it "bows" out a little bit ( mabey 1/8th ) as compared to the other factory door is straight. Since seeing the pictures he posted I think I will spend a little time on my doors instead of buying repos.

Thanks for the heads up! yeah i was thinking when it comes to doors fenders, deck-lid, etc. if the panel i have is to far gone it might be better to find an original rust free part rather than an after market repo that wont fit as well.

Welcome! Repop doors are hit & miss .. I got a pair and one door fit nice with a little tweaking, the other was no where near fitting right, it was more of a parallelagram than a rectangle, door skins are a good idea if the rest of the door frame is salvagable. Lots of fun looking through vendor areas at the car shows!

For the wheel wells you want to keep as much of the original metal as you can since it is already lined up and repop panels need lots of time tweaking.

I appreciate all the input so far! well everyone ive been hard at work on disassembly and as I knew they would ive got some questions that have come up! first ive inlcuded pics of the rust situation on both doors they look like they could both just be reskinned but you guys tell me what u think. ive also included pics of the quarter panel rust, based on the pics would it be better to put in the patches that cover just above the wheel well down or to just go ahead and put in full quarters? i also included a picture of the front left frame rail extension rust and the battery tray area rust. would it be easier to completely replace both these panels or just try and patch them up? i also included a pic of the floor rust. im thinking it would make more sense to just put in the full one piece floor pan rather than several patches, do you agree :confused: I really appreciate all the help and advice in advance! couldnt do it without u guys!

i'm sure you already know this but throw nothing away. bag and tag your fasteners. even if you think it's junk.

then when you get replacement parts you'll have something to compare the questionable repop parts/fasteners with.

take a million pics. digital media is basically free.

good luck finding original rust free metal...

i'm sure you already know this but throw nothing away. bag and tag your fasteners. even if you think it's junk.

then when you get replacement parts you'll have something to compare the questionable repop parts/fasteners with.

take a million pics. digital media is basically free.

good luck finding original rust free metal...

What he said! :yes::yes::yes:

Semper Fi Devil Dog. If u get a chance, take a look through the album in my sig. I did quarters and a door skin. Patched the other door etc. Album needs updating badly but my pc isn't agreeing with the album app. Anyways it gives an idea about what's involved.

I still watch the windows looking for the FedEx Truck and I haven't ordered anything in the longest time! I was lucky and had a regular driver deliver most of my parts, so he got excited along with me when I was checking the delivery.