Sign in to follow this  
BadDad5

Sorry guys -I apologize

Well, I posted my car in the for sale section and only today noticed that you weren't supposed to list stuff that was on ebay also..my bad, sorry mr. moderator.

I also noticed there were posts about how to overcome my negative feelings about it but pakrat hit it on the head. I've only posted a couple a times and was looking for a great base car to make a shelby clone out of a coupe. I paid too much and let my eyes get the better of me because I wanted to get the project going. But now I don't want to start digging in this car to find out all the other half ass things the previous owner has done. It's not a bad resto per say, but I think I would have gone about some things different. I cannot tell you guys how much it has soured me on building my dream, let alone the money and time wasted on this endevor. My wife sure has been supportive, she's one hell of a gal, but I gotta tell ya, with eight grand spent on this car from our nest egg, its hard to face her somedays and I feel as somehow I let us down. I really thought I was getting a nicely restored base coupe to further build up.

Is there recourse? nope..to me everythings bought-sold and paid at this point. My dad taught me that honesty is the best policy, although some times, you'll get the short end. I guess this guy saw me coming. I'm a simple man, who can mean everything with a handshake. But I guess on this big blue marble that dosn't hold true to many people anymore. So I guess I'll try and work some overtime and fix the front end and after I've had time to make some of the smaller things that irk me into what's right for the car, I'll try and throw on some nice wheels and sell it come spring.

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me vent, sorry if any feathers got ruffled in my previous posts, and I'll keep hanging around the board until I get it right.

:cool: Cheers guy's....

Chris

Well if it helps you are not alone, sadly many folks get trapped in trying to make a dream come true just to have it turn into a nightmare on them and there really is no worse feeling than that.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with posting your car for sale here and on ebay or any other site at the same time, what we don't like is a post that is just directing to your car for sale on ebay using us as an ad for it.

I hope everything all works out for the best for you and yours in the end and don't give up on chasing those dreams, life's too short to go without.

Chris, Step back and take a deep breath and think!

Yes you might have not gotten what was expected in that transaction but, From the few pic's you posted it might not be all that bad.

If you sell it at a loss, What will you find to replace it?

A complete front end kit can be had for under 300.00 and easily installed.

Are there things that are hidden that make it nessesary to start over?

We have all been there and had that done to us at one time or another, If not it will happen to them at some time down the road.

Take a few minutes to :taz: and then pull up your bigboy pants and get'er done the way you want.

If you look at the bottom line cost, You might be better to just keep it.

Wow and I thought I was the only idiot that got taken for a ride. I paid 3G for a POS. Hey #5 I doubt you can hurt anyone's feelings here because from what I see evryone has been through some crazy projects and seeing what they had to go through I think they have pretty tough skins. I think working on the car along with a cold one is the best therapy around. Like Clint said " A man's got to know his limitations" and if you don't know I am sure your wife will tell you. Good luck and never give up.

Edited by Hambone

I paid $7500 for a real looker that died 20 min after buying it and what I later found out was held together with bubble gum and duct tape. $20K later and I have a nice car, but it's far from perfect. Unless you're a millionaire, you'll never achieve/buy perfection...

You have two choices, fix what you have or cut your loses and sell. I often wonder if I would have been happier if I just lost a few grand instead of sinking $13k into the car (and still just having an average car).

But if your budget is under $10k for a base car, you'll buy another one and it'll be in the same if not worse shape that you have now. I can almost guarantee it!

Good luck!

My car is no looker, but a 40 something year old Mustang is way cool to drive down any street in almost any condition. My car requires constant maintenance no matter how hard I try to make it reliable. Of course my natural tendency to try new things doesn't help either, but that's the nature, and part of the fun in owning one of these cars.

I have to agree with Jayru; unless you can afford to keep a mechanic on staff, plan on turning wrenches almost as often as you drive. Any old car is a money pit. You have to be able to roll with it and laugh. You will get stranded eventually if you drive it enough. You will probably do something stupid that puts your life in jeopardy and maybe those of the people around you. These old cars had terrible brakes, suspensions and steering, and altering these systems to improve them brings it's own set of risks.

It's not for everyone, but the folks on this forum find it therapeutic for some reason, or we wouldn't keep doing it. If you decide to stay in the old Mustang hobby, just take it slow, have a beer and enjoy the journey.

I would also say like the others before me stay with it & take your time. I have been at mine on & off (mostly off until recently) for the last 10 years. I work on it when the money is available & when I get frutrated I walk away & have a beer & go back to it when I cool off usually a coupole days later, but I love tinkering with these cars. I got this one as a bare shell & want to bring it back to life some day, so I just keep plugging along.

Its all in what you want .... we have all made mistakes, had others make mistakes for us, been taken advantage of, and found some good deals along the way. I always say, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! apply that phrase anywhere you like...

so, do what ya think, the items you listed are common items to repair on old mustangs and you can find the solutions in this forum.

build your dream and have fun, im still building mine after 11 years now... never a dull moment!

now to replace the hood scoop i just had the body guy install with a different one.... hmm.. let the search begin....!!!

have fun!!

Well, thanks for the advise guy's. I'm no stranger to what it takes to restore a car. It took three years to complete my last resto..a 70 cougar and that was back in 2000 or so. Let me just say parts ain't that plentiful, and if you do find stuff, its gonna set you back. I get what some of you are sayin about constant work on a 40 yr old car. I'm not expecting to jump in and just cruise, but I did have some expectations of the condition of this one. I wanted something with a completed interior and engine compartment so I could hang the shelby stuff on and go from there.....you know the old addage, "one less thing" right?

Edited by BadDad5