Sign in to follow this  
jbaeza94

My First Car/Restoration: 69 Mustang Coupe

Hi everybody! well, this is my mustang, my first car. Ive had it for about a year but only recently started with the restoration. I dont got too much experience but i was a major componen in the restoration of my auto shops class 67 Cougar. so, i prettt much got the basics down, and the rest will be learned aong the way. Anyways, enough about me, now about the Mustang. Im planning to do nothing too fancy, an Eliminator hood, a spoiler trunk, thats bout it as far as visual cutomization goes. it has a 351w, wich will be bored .030 and rebuilt. Well, ima need all the help i can get, so if i got any questions, i know i can turn to all of you. here are some pictures of the car and some of the progress (not much)

thanks all.

Welcome to the site, got a nice project too =)

I'm sure you learned in class to take pictures of everything you do .. in this case so you can recall how it goes back together.

Can't say how many times I've had to ask for pictures of something because my pics weren't detailed enough.

Get tons of little bags, boxes and a marker. It is easier to sort out the bags and boxes then a bucket of hardware and parts. It will save you a lot of headaches.

If you can afford it get the plastic storage boxes with lids. They help to keep the dust out. They also will not fall apart if you get them a little wet.

thanks For the welcome 70mstang! and yeah, pictures for everyting that comes apart, i had to learn that the hard way when learnin about drum brakes ha

And Silver 69 Coupe, i am using Ziplock bags for most parts, but i guess, might as well do every thing no? ha, headaches never seem like a good idea..... thanks for the tip.

Thanks you all, ill keep you posted on all updates as they come along.

Jbaeza

Good luck with the resto. Where are you located? Maybe you're close by another member who could help if needed.

Also, just a recommendation for future reference, unbolt torque converter from engine as opposed to pulling trans off of converter. Could damage the front pump seal and you wouldn't know it until you put it all back together and fire it up.

thanks For the welcome 70mstang! and yeah, pictures for everyting that comes apart, i had to learn that the hard way when learnin about drum brakes ha

And Silver 69 Coupe, i am using Ziplock bags for most parts, but i guess, might as well do every thing no? ha, headaches never seem like a good idea..... thanks for the tip.

Thanks you all, ill keep you posted on all updates as they come along.

Jbaeza

When I got mine it was in water damaged cardboard boxes and coffee cans. All those little brackets can be real tricky to figure out. I think I spent about 4 hours tracking down all of the brackets for the dash and I am still missing 2. The bad part is that I think I have them but can't find them because I am not sure what they look like or what coffee can the previous owner put them in. They mount the bottom of the dash to the door pillar.

Searching for hardware has been about the most frustrating and time consuming part of my project.

The 67 Cougar I am doing next is still all together and every part will photographed, bagged, boxed and labeled.

It looks like you got a good one to start on.

Common rust areas are

Wheel wells. (Usually behind the tire)

Door bottom. Especially the front lower corner of the door. I have yet to see a classic mustang without some rust in this area.

Floor pans (Usually the driver front goes first)

Gas tank mounting flange.

If you are fixing rust make sure you get it all out before covering it with primer. Also I recommend using real metal to fix not any of the patch it over with fiberglass stuff. Your repair will be much more reliable and last longer with metal.

Good luck on your project and keep us updated on your progress.

Edited by Silver_69_Coupe

@ Drastik. thanks, and im located in Prescott Valley Arizona. and the about the conveterter, i did not know that, i will have that in myind for next time. Thanks Alot!

and Silver, yeah,any rust i find i will cut out and patch will with metal. Thanks, i will Post more pics Tomorow.

I love all the pics of your 69 Coupe with all that GOOD sheetmetal, where is the rot hiding? HaHa. All kiddin aside my 69 Coupe being a northeastern car ALL its life has its share of road salt induced rot. Front lower corner of both doors, & in front & rear of both quarter panels. Looks like you have a nice starting point to work with there with that car. Good luck.

so i havent been up for a while, been really busy, and the car has been at a stand still, but since i have today and tomrrow of from high school, i decided to get back to the car. so today i decided to sand the passenger side door, i saw a crack on the lower front corner, so i started to pick at it with a screw driver, as i assumed it was bondo, which it was, but curiously enough, i saw some fiberglass cloth type thing. instantly i knew that wasnt right. i used a grinder and to find out just how much bondo around,its a pretty big hole, as you can see, goes right thrwe the skin and then some, as the picture shows. what should i do? buy a whole new shell? a new skin and patch up the back of the front of the door? go to a muscle car junk yard and try to snatch a door? all help is appreciated.

If that is the only rust in the door then I would just cut it out and repair it with new sheet metal. But it is highly likey there will be more rust along the bottom of the door. I would remove all the paint and bondo along the entire lower section of the door on the inner and outer to see where you stand.

Good stuff...subscribed to this thread for sure! Can't wait to see progress.

My '69 coupe is also my first "restoration". I'm not sure how much I'll tear down and restore right out of the box. Been messing around with it a little bit at a time, but want to drive it while I'm working on it as well.

That's awesome that you're doing this project and still a high schooler. I have done everything on mine with my 7 year old son right next to me....getting me tools, holding lights, helping however he can. I hope he has interest enough to tackle his own project when he's your age.

Can't wait for the next pics...

Thanks Vegassman! It's nice to have support, and that's awesome that you have your kid helping you! i am gonna post more pics today like at 4. Gotta tear down the door and find out if thats the only rust. Leta hope for the best. Thanks for the advice Lemon Owner,and let me know how that goes Mike65, And everybody thanks for all the help And support!