Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Alternator Selection & Mounting

I’m having a big problem with selection & mounting of my alternator. I need at least a 100 amp alt that mounts low on the passenger side of my 351w. I’ll be running v-belts. I need it to mount low because I need to mount my coil on the upper portion of the passenger side head. My car has power steering and will have AC installed so the driver side coil mount is out of the question. All the alternators I have looked at have the pivot point on the bottom and the adjusting point at the top. All the brackets I have seen are reversed, Pivot point on the top and adjusting point at the bottom. I tried to take a 3g alt with the pivot point at the bottom and turn it upside down. I can get the wires to reach but the electrical connections are too close to the block and would short out. I just can’t seem to find an alternator and bracket combination that will work. I do want to dress it up so as not to look too bad, maybe chrome or billet without the heavy price tag. I have a stock water pump. Any ideas or recommendations guys/gals?

Have you considered a factory alternator? I read about people putting in these 100 amp alternators and I always ask myself why? I have a factory 65 amp alternator with all the usual add ons. I have AC, huge stereo amplifiers, electronic ignition, halogen headlights, and power windows. I have had this setup for 10 years and never had any trouble with running low on power from the alternator. The only thing I do not have that is a significant load is electric radiator fan.

All of this does not make any difference though if you already have purchased the alternator. If you have not, then reconsider the need and use the factory setup.

I thought about factory but I'm afraid it won't handle what I need. It looks like I'll have to relocate the lower radiator hose from the passenger side to the driver side and hope it doesn't interfere with the power steering if I do this.

I was going to go with electric fans or at least thought about it. Perhaps I need to rethink this. Not sure how I would wire a stock alt with my AAW harness I'm installing. They said it is made for an internally regulated alt. Maybe a 65 amp alt would do me if I can get it wired.

Then I can understand your predicament. If you have a harness already set up for a one wire alternator, changing to the factory setup would be a difficult wiring problem.

Contact the manufacturer of your alternator or look at their web site to see if they have suggestions about mounting. I know a lot of people have made your switch with a 302 or 351, so it must be possible.

The harness is setup for an internally regulated alt. I just need to find one and the mounting brackets for it. I have checked just about everywhere.....Guess I'll hit all the sites again(Fleebay, Summit, Jegs etc) without tunnel vision....LOL

Look at mustangdepot.com

They show a 1 wire 100amp the has the stock mounting points of upper swing and lower adjustment.

I saw some of those over on Summit. I may have to go with something like that with the high mount alt and the coil underneath. I hate that look but I may have to live with it....I'll keep looking for now.

I bought the JEGS 1 wire, 100 AMP alternator for my 302 car that I was planning on using an electric fan on. I had to remove the case and flip the back part over as one of the wire mounting point on the back was hitting the head in a manner that would not allow any belt adjustment. As for your coil, why can't you mount it on the intake manifold like they came from the factory?

Edited by jholmes217

I bought the JEGS 1 wire, 100 AMP alternator for my 302 car that I was planning on using an electric fan on. I had to remove the case and flip the back part over as one of the wire mounting point on the back was hitting the head in a manner that would not allow any belt adjustment. As for your coil, why can't you mount it on the intake manifold like they cam from the factory?

I thought about flipping the back of the case around but wasn't sure if it could be done. Here is a pic of my coil.....I don't think it would fit on the intake.

Edited by LiLMike

I thought about flipping the back of the case around but wasn't sure if it could be done. Here is a pic of my coil.....I don't think it would fit on the intake.

Yea, I guess that coil wouldn't fit on the intake. I have an Accel Super Coil, and I mounted it on the fender apron. I just had to get an extra spark plug wire and convert it to a coil wire to cover the extra distance to the coil.

Yea, I guess that coil wouldn't fit on the intake. I have an Accel Super Coil, and I mounted it on the fender apron. I just had to get an extra spark plug wire and convert it to a coil wire to cover the extra distance to the coil.

I was thinking of doing something like that if I can't mount it on the motor somewhere. Where did you mount yours and how did you run the wire to the dizzy? Also, was there anything special you had to do when you changed your alt cover around or was it simply remove the cover, turn it 180* and put it back on?

I installed a late model Ford 3G 95 amp alternator in my 1969 Mach 1. It is internally regulated so you can eliminate the bulky mechanical external regulator. I was also able to install the v-belt pulley from the original alternator. With minimal effort it fits into the stock 351w mounting brackets and the belt lines up fine.

I was thinking of doing something like that if I can't mount it on the motor somewhere. Where did you mount yours and how did you run the wire to the dizzy? Also, was there anything special you had to do when you changed your alt cover around or was it simply remove the cover, turn it 180* and put it back on?

My car is a 1969, and I mounted the coil on the drivers side in front of the shock tower. Here's a picture:

On the alternator, the main thing to be careful of if you turn the back cover is getting the brushes back where they go.

Edited by jholmes217

I installed a late model Ford 3G 95 amp alternator in my 1969 Mach 1. It is internally regulated so you can eliminate the bulky mechanical external regulator. I was also able to install the v-belt pulley from the original alternator. With minimal effort it fits into the stock 351w mounting brackets and the belt lines up fine.

What late model 3G? Where did you get it? I'm thinking that would work for me. I was looking at those but the ones I saw had the pivot point on the bottom which is causing my problem.

My car is a 1969, and I mounted the coil on the drivers side in fornt of the shock tower.

On the alternator, the main thing to be careful of if you turn the back cover is getting the brushed back where they go.

That sounds scary....I'm afraid I would screw up an expensive alt but that would be the perfect mod for my needs.

I don't know why they call it 3g. There are also physically larger models called 4g. The 3g's are rated at 95 amps and the 4g's are rated at 130 amps. I bought mine several years ago through Ford Racing. They no longer sell it. At that time it came with the wiring pigtail and instructions on how to connect it electrically. Start looking through web sites like Napa's at napaonline.com and Oreilly Auto's. I believe it fit like an early to mid 1990's Ford something with a 5.0L engine. Physically it is about the same outside diameter as the original but it is longer front to back to fit the internal fan. It mounts the same as the original so the mounting lugs are in the same place as the original's. It does use a metric bolt instead of 5/16" on the adjuster mount. But it fits fine. Here is a link to one on Napa's site, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=RAL133074D_0327666573&An=599001+101994+50026&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

It looks like the one, but I am not sure with only the one picture. I wish there was a picture showing both mounting lugs.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

Hey Grabber, great info link on the alts. I looked at PA Performance, Summit, Jegs and others. All have the pivot point on the bottom. I need it on the top. I think I'll have to try what Jholmes suggested and flip the case around 180*. Hope I don't screw it up! LOL

Thanks to all you guys for some great info and ideas, especially JHolmes for the idea of flipping my alt. case around. I found a wealth of information. To begin with, it is called "Clocking the Alternator". Here is a link with the basic gist of the procedure.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7398424_rotate-alternator.html

Basically you loosen the case bolts and turn the case to the desired position. Like JHolmes said, if you pull the case too far apart, the brushes will pop out. Here is a link that shows a procedure if you happen to do this.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40207

Pretty simple also, just a paper clip it reassemble. I found all this information when I did a google on "Clocking Ford Alternator". Now I can get a nice chrome Alt with some billet brackets and make everything fit and look good! When I do this, I'll try to post some pics for you guys. Now I just have to fine a mount for my coil. It is a Mallory Promaster E Coil. It is about 4 inches square. Haven't really tried to fit it on the intake or head but don't think it will fit. JHolmes mounted his coil on the fender well and I may have to do this. Wonder how things would look and work out if I mounted it on the firewall behind the carb? I think that would give it a cleaner look. Any ideas?

See there, you saved me from doing something stupid....LOL

Wished someone would have saved me! Anyway, let us know how it works out. I also ground down one of the wire mounting bolts to give me some more room, leaving just enough bolt to mount the wire and tighten it down with a nut.

Edited by jholmes217