Sign in to follow this  
Pyetime

Disc brake conversion?

No, I have a stock cam & engine & I'm running about 18"-19" of vacuum.

It maybe be a problem with your brake distribution/proportioning valve. While most of my problem is cam related some of it is to do with my prop valve. In as much as I do not have one! I run the stock drum/drum distribution block so I do not get as much front brake as I should. Maybe have a look and check that yours is correct for your car and is working properly.

couple hundred bucks more but its 4 piston. its the KH brakes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_2153wt_941

l_140830-2.jpg

I have heard different things about the KH brakes. If the Granada brakes will lock up your front wheels in a panic stop, what is the advantage of the 4 piston? I understand how it could be better, but is it worth all the complication of all the 4 pistons? I also have heard some wheels will not work and you need offset adapters for the KH brakes.

One of the best tools for braking woes is a pressure gauge.

You need to be generating at least 1100 PSI (more is better) to lock up your brakes at speed. I went through all sorts of master cylinders and boosters before I got there. Don't ask me what it cost. Buying things four times can add up!

ssb-a1704_w.jpg

ON EIDT:

Lemon- a prop will only kill some PSI to the rear brakes, it won't add to your fronts. Right now you have equal pressure everywhere in the hydraulic system. If you are not locking your rears first on panic stops, you don't need one. You may need a smaller bore MC to increase PSI.

Edited by gsxrken
added a thought

ON EIDT:

Lemon- a prop will only kill some PSI to the rear brakes, it won't add to your fronts. Right now you have equal pressure everywhere in the hydraulic system. If you are not locking your rears first on panic stops, you don't need one. You may need a smaller bore MC to increase PSI.

I installed the later prop valve on the weekend and as you expected there was no change. (Althouhg I am glad I fitted it finally!) I did have one thought that I forgot to mention last week. The brake booster that cam with the CSRP kit is only a smaller booster than normally fitted to a 69(My mach1 is quite a bit larger). I suspect that this is too small for my setup and does not apply as much brake pressure as it perhaps should. What adds credence to this theory is that I really have to apply alot of foot pressure at lower revs (also partly due to my cam). But I could be wrong!

Unless you have one of the two chamber dual diaphragm ones, bigger is better when it comes to vacuum boosters. My cam (248* at .050) was too much for the stock booster at low RPMs and I eventually went to a Hydratech booster. Not cheap but end of story.

(My stock booster is available if someone is interested. Make offer)

When I was testing my brake pressure with the aforementioned gauge, at one point I pulled off my truck's booster line, put in a coupling and ran a 10foot length of vacuum hose over to my Mustang's booster. Started the truck and my Mustang's pedal feel and the PSI delivered to the calipers was transformed. That told me my booster was fine but just wasn't going to work with my cam.

Here is a quick question for the experts-

Swapped drum brakes to disk. Used the brake system from Baer Kit# 1261074 SS After swapping out the brakes I had to change my pedal. Now the pedal is way to high. I'd like to set the pedal height to use with my foot and not my knee. Any tips or advice?

Thanks

Pyetime...i went from factory power disc's in front and the drum behind, to baer 4wheel disc brakes...it was 100% bolt on with booster. It is money well spent they are basically modern corvette system as far as pads and so on, with out of this world stopping power

I just got some used 70 disc brake spindles so I could run the bigger bearings. Got the single piston calipers from NPD. Then get a set of rotors that are still currently available from the auto parts stores. Whats the big deal with all the generic stuff?

Pyetime...i went from factory power disc's in front and the drum behind, to baer 4wheel disc brakes...it was 100% bolt on with booster. It is money well spent they are basically modern corvette system as far as pads and so on, with out of this world stopping power

If you dont mind me asking what did your set up cost?

I'm looking around still trying to determine what brake kit to go with and now I have a new question. How do you identify that your 9" rear end has small bearing rear axles? A lot of the kits I see specifically mention this and I'm not sure what to look for to make sure I get the right kit ordered.

So I finally made a decision and went with a nice Wilwood front kit set up and I have rebuilt my rear drums for now (budget's getting a little tight with what I told the misses it would cost). Rear discs to follow down the road. I also have decided to upgrade to power assist, so I have the booster with pedal headed this way. Question, can I mount the power pedal to the current bracket or do I need an entirely new one to mount to the firewall?

So I finally made a decision and went with a nice Wilwood front kit set up and I have rebuilt my rear drums for now (budget's getting a little tight with what I told the misses it would cost). Rear discs to follow down the road. I also have decided to upgrade to power assist, so I have the booster with pedal headed this way. Question, can I mount the power pedal to the current bracket or do I need an entirely new one to mount to the firewall?

Nope you can mount the pedal to your existing pedal assembly no problem. I dont even thing you will have to take it out of the car. What Willwood brakes did you go with? I am currently looking at a set of discs from them for my rear and once I get money ones for the front also.

Nope you can mount the pedal to your existing pedal assembly no problem. I dont even thing you will have to take it out of the car. What Willwood brakes did you go with? I am currently looking at a set of discs from them for my rear and once I get money ones for the front also.

Great, good to know, thanks! It looks like a fun job! I went with this kit http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/140-11071/10002/-1. It was really to install, looks great and works with my Magnum 500's.

The pedal mounts to a different location in the bracket though. Took me a minute to figure that out.

Yeah, I'm claustrophobic just thinking about it! I'm for sure going to take the driver side seat out before attempting to work in those tight quarters.