Sign in to follow this  
BigDuke6

A video and pictorial show on my rebuild

I was in an accident in Nov. 2006. The road back has been long, frustrating, and 5x more expensive than I ever could have imagined.

Here is a cursory inspection of the car following the accident. It turned out that the rear axle housing was cracked. The driveshaft had punched into the transmission like a stake through the heart. The damage was far worse than initially thought. So here is the first installment.

when the rear quarter came off, it turned out that the PO had been in an accident and he simply welded a skin over the damage. The whole thing was completely rusted

quarterpanelremoved.jpg

here is the replacement quarter on. It took a lot of fitting

replacementqtr.jpg

with the epoxy primer

sideshotprimed.jpg

and in paint

resizedrearqrt.jpg

then we found that the floor was completely rusted through

rustedfloor.jpg

so it all came out

nofloor.jpg

and I ordered a 1 piece floor from the US

New1piecefloor.jpg

here is it installed

rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg

and the underside with the new exhaust

magnaflow2.jpg

I removed the cheap wood grain decal and added carbon fiber

don't mind the dust

carbonfiberdoor.jpg

here is the Year One instrument panel

year1carbonfiber3.jpg

and with the gauges

clusterandgauges.jpg

and a shot of the instrument panel through my newly restored Rim Blow (the Rim Blow Buddy did not do a good job :-(

b4827eab.jpg

a shot of the Hurst Mega Shifter and TCP pedals

ed75532c.jpg

and the FAST dual sensor Wide Band AF

468e9a48.jpg

Edited by BigDuke6

I was in an accident in Nov. 2006. The road back has been long, frustrating, and 5x more expensive than I ever could have imagined.

Here is a cursory inspection of the car following the accident. It turned out that the rear axle housing was cracked. The driveshaft had punched into the transmission like a stake through the heart. The damage was far worse than initially thought. So here is the first installment.

when the rear quarter came off, it turned out that the PO had been in an accident and he simply welded a skin over the damage. The whole thing was completely rusted

quarterpanelremoved.jpg

here is the replacement quarter on. It took a lot of fitting

replacementqtr.jpg

with the epoxy primer

sideshotprimed.jpg

and in paint

resizedrearqrt.jpg

then we found that the floor was completely rusted through

rustedfloor.jpg

so it all came out

nofloor.jpg

and I ordered a 1 piece floor from the US

New1piecefloor.jpg

here is it installed

rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg

and the underside with the new exhaust

magnaflow2.jpg

I removed the cheap wood grain decal and added carbon fiber

don't mind the dust

carbonfiberdoor.jpg

here is the Year One instrument panel

year1carbonfiber3.jpg

and with the gauges

clusterandgauges.jpg

and a shot of the instrument panel through my newly restored Rim Blow (the Rim Blow Buddy did not do a good job :-(

b4827eab.jpg

a shot of the Hurst Mega Shifter and TCP pedals

ed75532c.jpg

and the FAST dual sensor Wide Band AF

468e9a48.jpg

Edited by BigDuke6

Wow, I am hoping that no one was injured as a result of the accident.

I am not sure of your history with the car, but if it was a recent purchase of someone else's restoration, it does not surprize me that you discovered some portions of the car that required work.

The positive side of this is, that you will have an awesome car again at the end, and a pretty cool story to tell. Is your insurance covering a portion of your expenses? Was this accident a rear end collision, hence the driveshaft through the transmission.

Love the photos and the Youtube shots, keep them coming, and good luck on your rebuild.

Bill from Canada

I am not sure of your history with the car, but if it was a recent purchase of someone else's restoration, it does not surprize me that you discovered some portions of the car that required work.

The positive side of this is, that you will have an awesome car again at the end, and a pretty cool story to tell. Is your insurance covering a portion of your expenses? Was this accident a rear end collision, hence the driveshaft through the transmission.

Love the photos and the Youtube shots, keep them coming, and good luck on your rebuild.

Bill from Canada

Bill from Canada

Bill, my wife and I were lucky we were not killed. I was going over a highway interchange in Nov. The temps were low and it had rained earlier. I was coming out of a curve and was heading into a straight away and touched the gas and we instantly spun out and went backwards down a hill and then sideways across the East/West part of the highway where the limit is 75 mph (that's 120 km/hr). I was only going 40 mph when it happened. Ironically, a car zipped by me on the left seconds before. We skipped over a curb and finally came to rest against a guard rail.

Insurance covered nothing. I have different insurance now. The car is completely done. I just need to wait for a sunny day (fat chance, as the only time it isn't raining here is when it's REALLY raining) so I can get some nice pics.

Bill from Canada

Bill, my wife and I were lucky we were not killed. I was going over a highway interchange in Nov. The temps were low and it had rained earlier. I was coming out of a curve and was heading into a straight away and touched the gas and we instantly spun out and went backwards down a hill and then sideways across the East/West part of the highway where the limit is 75 mph (that's 120 km/hr). I was only going 40 mph when it happened. Ironically, a car zipped by me on the left seconds before. We skipped over a curb and finally came to rest against a guard rail.

Insurance covered nothing. I have different insurance now. The car is completely done. I just need to wait for a sunny day (fat chance, as the only time it isn't raining here is when it's REALLY raining) so I can get some nice pics.

bigduke6 -- very nice build!!! how did you modify the year 1 bezel? did you purchase some CF from dragonplate ? it looks good! can you share your process? i purchased the standard carbon fiber door panels from TMI and was looking into changing my year 1 bezel somehow to match... :blink:

bigduke6 -- very nice build!!! how did you modify the year 1 bezel? did you purchase some CF from dragonplate ? it looks good! can you share your process? i purchased the standard carbon fiber door panels from TMI and was looking into changing my year 1 bezel somehow to match... :blink:

It is indeed dragon plate veneer. I just made templates out of thick poster board and once I was satisfied with the fit, I cut the veneer and applied. There was no difficulty to it at all.

It is indeed dragon plate veneer. I just made templates out of thick poster board and once I was satisfied with the fit, I cut the veneer and applied. There was no difficulty to it at all.

I like the carbon fiber door panel.

I also liked your startup video. Was that with open headers?

Nope. That is with the magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust and the LT headers

Edited by BigDuke6
I misunderstood the question

I like the carbon fiber door panel.

I also liked your startup video. Was that with open headers?

Nope. That is with the magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust and the LT headers

Edited by BigDuke6
I misunderstood the question

I am not sure I even know what the difference is.

Hunh, so someone just went ahead and decided to make that change on your car? That's odd. In the pic with the big tape arrow you can see someone called that area out and it is still set up for the stock side marker but the painted pics clearly show a '70 style being used. It's no big deal really just something that makes you go hmmm when it doesn't seem to have been a concious choice by the owner.

Here's the '69 style, the light is flush with the panel and has a chrome trim ring around it.

2964459825_db71a6779d.jpg

Here's the '70 style. it is recessed into the panel instead.

2964459941_4fba480d2f.jpg

I am not sure I even know what the difference is.

Hunh, so someone just went ahead and decided to make that change on your car? That's odd. In the pic with the big tape arrow you can see someone called that area out and it is still set up for the stock side marker but the painted pics clearly show a '70 style being used. It's no big deal really just something that makes you go hmmm when it doesn't seem to have been a concious choice by the owner.

Here's the '69 style, the light is flush with the panel and has a chrome trim ring around it.

2964459825_db71a6779d.jpg

Here's the '70 style. it is recessed into the panel instead.

2964459941_4fba480d2f.jpg

If you look at the video it was a 70 style before the wreck. Pause at the 37 second mark.

the PO must have done that. To tell you the truth, I never paid any attention to it. We re-used the side assemblies in the rebuild as they were not damaged.