Sign in to follow this  
dave69vert

Seat belt question?

:helpsmilie:I'm looking to install after market 3 or 4 point seat belts on my 69 convertible. Anyone have any luck with some vender or parts house. I'm using the factory seat with the adjustable head rest. Has anyone ever used this type of set up in the rear seat area also. Any help will be great. Thanks

:helpsmilie:I'm looking to install after market 3 or 4 point seat belts on my 69 convertible. Anyone have any luck with some vender or parts house. I'm using the factory seat with the adjustable head rest. Has anyone ever used this type of set up in the rear seat area also. Any help will be great. Thanks

I have a 69 vert and put in a system from a 1985 LTD. If you want to go that route rather than new, you can save a huge amount of money. Front 3 point belts cost $40 for both sides, and I had to make a couple of mounting brackets. I will try to get some pictures for you.

I have a 69 vert and put in a system from a 1985 LTD. If you want to go that route rather than new, you can save a huge amount of money. Front 3 point belts cost $40 for both sides, and I had to make a couple of mounting brackets. I will try to get some pictures for you.

I have purchased a set of 3-point belts out of an 84 Ranger. The look like the should fit pretty well (can't test 100% at the moment -- no seats or seat risers). Got my set for $10. I will see if I can dig them out and bolt them in (just as a first test fit).

M/C

EDIT:

Sorry, I had missed the request from the OP that it be for a convertible. My comments don't really apply.

Edited by MustangChuck
missed something the OP said (DOH!)

I have purchased a set of 3-point belts out of an 84 Ranger. The look like the should fit pretty well (can't test 100% at the moment -- no seats or seat risers). Got my set for $10. I will see if I can dig them out and bolt them in (just as a first test fit).

M/C

EDIT:

Sorry, I had missed the request from the OP that it be for a convertible. My comments don't really apply.

Edited by MustangChuck
missed something the OP said (DOH!)

Only thing about the vertible is that we don't have any B pillar to mount the bracket to. I think I asked this same question about a year ago. May have to go with late model seats that have a belt loop on the shoulder.

Only thing about the vertible is that we don't have any B pillar to mount the bracket to. I think I asked this same question about a year ago. May have to go with late model seats that have a belt loop on the shoulder.

They do make kits for the convertible, I have seen two different ones. One mounts the retractor down low by the floor and the other one mounts it near the rear window crank, both are a bit expensive. I would think you could retro fit almost any system from a junkyard though provided it came from a vert originally and it was a somewhat compact design that hides in the trim panel. You would have to make a slot in your panel but if you had the trim ring from the donor car you could make it look clean. It might also be a good idea to snag a bracket that would run under the headrest and keep the strap at your shoulder.

They do make kits for the convertible, I have seen two different ones. One mounts the retractor down low by the floor and the other one mounts it near the rear window crank, both are a bit expensive. I would think you could retro fit almost any system from a junkyard though provided it came from a vert originally and it was a somewhat compact design that hides in the trim panel. You would have to make a slot in your panel but if you had the trim ring from the donor car you could make it look clean. It might also be a good idea to snag a bracket that would run under the headrest and keep the strap at your shoulder.

Here is what Silver_69_Coupe is doing with his coupe. He is using SN95 seats and seat belts. He as the back end of the belt mounted inside the body cavity. The SN95 coupe and convertible seat belts mount the same, I believe. I don't know what he is attaching the seat belt retractor to. But, if it is strong enough, this should work. Here is a direct link to pictures.

Edited by MustangChuck
added in a direct link to the post

Here is what Silver_69_Coupe is doing with his coupe. He is using SN95 seats and seat belts. He as the back end of the belt mounted inside the body cavity. The SN95 coupe and convertible seat belts mount the same, I believe. I don't know what he is attaching the seat belt retractor to. But, if it is strong enough, this should work. Here is a direct link to pictures.

Edited by MustangChuck
added in a direct link to the post

This is the system I used out of a 85 LTD. I made a bracket to mount the retractor to the floor, and another to mount the part by the rear window for the shoulder restraint.

I can provied more pictures if needed, and I can also get pictures of the bracket that mounts the retractor to the floor. For the lap belt, I used the same factory mounting places as in 69. I do not have a picture of the rest of the belt, but it is one continuous piece from the retractor, up to the shoulder restraint ( shown) and to the buckel, and on to the place where it attaches to the floor.

It probably would not pass a complete approval by the Washington bureaucrats, but I feel quite safe in it. My guess is the belt might not be high enough for going over the shoulder for someone over 6 feet tall, but I do not have to worry about that. You are going to have to pay a good price for someone to sell you a system for a restomod that is fully tested. A huge part of every purchase is paying up front for legal problems later, and the personal injury liability of selling a product like this would be HUGE.

Even the junk yard where I got my system made me sign a waiver that they would not be liable in any way for selling it to me.

This is the system I used out of a 85 LTD. I made a bracket to mount the retractor to the floor, and another to mount the part by the rear window for the shoulder restraint.

I can provied more pictures if needed, and I can also get pictures of the bracket that mounts the retractor to the floor. For the lap belt, I used the same factory mounting places as in 69. I do not have a picture of the rest of the belt, but it is one continuous piece from the retractor, up to the shoulder restraint ( shown) and to the buckel, and on to the place where it attaches to the floor.

It probably would not pass a complete approval by the Washington bureaucrats, but I feel quite safe in it. My guess is the belt might not be high enough for going over the shoulder for someone over 6 feet tall, but I do not have to worry about that. You are going to have to pay a good price for someone to sell you a system for a restomod that is fully tested. A huge part of every purchase is paying up front for legal problems later, and the personal injury liability of selling a product like this would be HUGE.

Even the junk yard where I got my system made me sign a waiver that they would not be liable in any way for selling it to me.

A couple more pictures. I will bet MustangChuck's system is probably the same as mine. These show the retractor when out of the car so you can see how it fits. I will try to get more pictures tomorrow.

The piece that supports the shoulder restraint attaches to some bolts that are a part of the conv top. The piece is a L shaped thick steel, about 2 inches wide, the long end of the L is about 4 inches, and the short end of the L ( the part the belt hoop is connected to) is about 2 inches long.

A couple more pictures. I will bet MustangChuck's system is probably the same as mine. These show the retractor when out of the car so you can see how it fits. I will try to get more pictures tomorrow.

The piece that supports the shoulder restraint attaches to some bolts that are a part of the conv top. The piece is a L shaped thick steel, about 2 inches wide, the long end of the L is about 4 inches, and the short end of the L ( the part the belt hoop is connected to) is about 2 inches long.