Sign in to follow this  
tkdkelly

Recover Mach 1 seats

I am restoring my Mustang and converting the entire interior to a Mach 1. I need to recover the seats, besides being in bad shape I want to give them the black with red stripe. How hard would it be to put the new covers on the old shell? I have never recoved seats before, is this something a hard working semi smart guy can do?

First silly question, how can I make sure the seats I have will fit the Mach 1 black with red stripe covers fit them?

Kelly

Sorry Guys if these seem like really simple unintelligent questions

I am restoring my Mustang and converting the entire interior to a Mach 1. I need to recover the seats, besides being in bad shape I want to give them the black with red stripe. How hard would it be to put the new covers on the old shell? I have never recoved seats before, is this something a hard working semi smart guy can do?

First silly question, how can I make sure the seats I have will fit the Mach 1 black with red stripe covers fit them?

Kelly

Sorry Guys if these seem like really simple unintelligent questions

Anyone with some patience and common sense and a set of hog ring pliers can recover a seat, patience being the most important attribute. Wrinkles and imperfections can be slapped out or removed with a hair dryer.

You'll need to have started with high back seats to use Mach one covers, if you post pics of your seats we can tell you what you have. I am unsure how different frames for stock vs. high back seats are so I don't know if it is possible to make the swap with new foam if you don't have high backs but regardless the biggest mistake most people make in recovering their seats is not spending the little extra money on new foam cores.

Anyone with some patience and common sense and a set of hog ring pliers can recover a seat, patience being the most important attribute. Wrinkles and imperfections can be slapped out or removed with a hair dryer.

You'll need to have started with high back seats to use Mach one covers, if you post pics of your seats we can tell you what you have. I am unsure how different frames for stock vs. high back seats are so I don't know if it is possible to make the swap with new foam if you don't have high backs but regardless the biggest mistake most people make in recovering their seats is not spending the little extra money on new foam cores.

Am interested in this. I bought Distinctive Industries set for 69 Mach 1 seats. I sprung for them when CJ's was running their gift card sale a few weeks back. They don't discount their upholstery during the 15% sales so I saw this as an opportunity to get the foams thrown in for nearly the same price as the upholstery only.

Ok, now back to the business of recovering seats. What a PAIN to disassemble! I was surprised at the effort to take the seat apart. With all the rings to cut and then stretch the cover over the foam, and then have to cut the rings from the listing (correct lingo?) buried in between the foam, I was seriously questioning myself wondering if I shouldnt let an upholstery shop deal with this. Thoughts?

Also, my seats arent THAT bad, was thinking of donating them to a needy member. Is it possible to remove the cover and bun as an assembly for possbile reinstallation on another frame?

And yes clipping hog rings is a joy. Going back togehter, will the Harbor Freight hog ring pliers and rings work ok or better to get some other more quality set? Seems like a set with "needle nose" type might be more handy for reattaching the listing buried in the foam.

Also do you prefer the burlap mateiral so the foam can breathe? I saw a video that shows a pro using a vinyl leather-like material.

I will have plenty of pics here to share for your entertainment and criticism here soon.

Edited by miketyler

I'll be doing this soon so I'm very interested in your thoughts and pictures. Good luck. I've done Corvette seats before with leather and it wasn't too bad so I'll be interested to see how these stack up in the PITA catagory.

I got the passenger seat disassembled. I suggest you make sure your tetanus shots are current before undertaking this. Getting it down to the metal frame wasnt as bad as some other jobs but it is a little nasty and there will be all sorts of crap airborne so might get a particle mask as well.

The burlap support liner was pretty rotten and the jute stripping that protects the edges came apart like tissue paper. I notice the DI covers dont have wire listing and may use some more modern attaching pieces. Will see what I can get from CJ's on this. Reupholstery practices have probably changed since 1969.

Edited by miketyler

Mike,

I have done the Mach 1 high back bucket seats a while ago for a 68 GT Coupe I was building. Part of the top of the seat back you cant see what you are doing it has to be done by feel. Good luck & alot of paitence are needed but you can do it. When I did mine it was the first time I attempted any upolstery work on my own. Take your time & you might want to leave the upolstery out in the sun for a while to warm it up it will be easier to work with. Hope that helps.

Mike.