Sign in to follow this  
Junior2561

Lower Hinge Rebuild help....

Buy new pins and brass bushings from any of the usual suppliers.

Cut the old pin in two (I used a Dremel tool with cutting disk).

Remove the old pin and bushings.

Install new bushings and pin.

Secure the pin in the hinge. Some of the new pins have cotter pins to hold them. Mine didn't so I cut a slot in the end and use a chisel to flare it slightly. I suppose you could use a cap nut of some kind as well.

Buy new pins and brass bushings from any of the usual suppliers.

Cut the old pin in two (I used a Dremel tool with cutting disk).

Remove the old pin and bushings.

Install new bushings and pin.

Secure the pin in the hinge. Some of the new pins have cotter pins to hold them. Mine didn't so I cut a slot in the end and use a chisel to flare it slightly. I suppose you could use a cap nut of some kind as well.

Here is where i feel like an idiot. I bought the new pins and new bushings, but they still do not feel tight. There is a lot of slop. I made this post off my phone last night, so i could not go into detail - but i think perhapes i was doing something wrong...per your instructions i didn't lol

Here is where i feel like an idiot. I bought the new pins and new bushings, but they still do not feel tight. There is a lot of slop. I made this post off my phone last night, so i could not go into detail - but i think perhapes i was doing something wrong...per your instructions i didn't lol

Were the previous bushings worn thru, pin wearing on steel -vs- the busing? if so the hole may be enlarged. Fix this by welding up the old holes & re-drilling or purchase a larger busing & pin but will require enlarging the current hole. Local auto body supply ormaybe your local auto parts help section will have parts.

Were the previous bushings worn thru, pin wearing on steel -vs- the busing? if so the hole may be enlarged. Fix this by welding up the old holes & re-drilling or purchase a larger busing & pin but will require enlarging the current hole. Local auto body supply ormaybe your local auto parts help section will have parts.

Mustangsteve's hinge kit is a good option in this case as you have to drill the holes out anyhow but there's welding involved to complete the rebuild. I finished mine about a month ago, forgot to do pics though. Had a buddy sandblast them for me after dis-assembly.

Mustangsteve's hinge kit is a good option in this case as you have to drill the holes out anyhow but there's welding involved to complete the rebuild. I finished mine about a month ago, forgot to do pics though. Had a buddy sandblast them for me after dis-assembly.

I found this great writeup on the web when I googled the subject.

http://www.andrewsmach1.com/pages/mustangresto/doorhinges/doorhingerepair.html

Reproductions are available, if you'd rather not mess around repairing a damaged one.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/1969-70-MUSTANG-DOOR-HINGES-C5282.aspx

Edited by 69RavenConv

I found this great writeup on the web when I googled the subject.

http://www.andrewsmach1.com/pages/mustangresto/doorhinges/doorhingerepair.html

Reproductions are available, if you'd rather not mess around repairing a damaged one.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/1969-70-MUSTANG-DOOR-HINGES-C5282.aspx

Edited by 69RavenConv

It was a weld up for mine unfortunately. As others have said you can weld the hole up a little and redrill for the new bushings. It's never easy with these old cars, especially when it seems everyone just drives them into the ground.

It was a weld up for mine unfortunately. As others have said you can weld the hole up a little and redrill for the new bushings. It's never easy with these old cars, especially when it seems everyone just drives them into the ground.