Sign in to follow this  
493dart

DOOR mount speakers

Can anyone post a pic of this --or explain it---

If you have done it , Where did you mount a door speaker in a 69 ?

Is there room for a 5 or 6" round speaker ?

Or is the window crank in the way ?

If it cant fit -- what and where are my options for speaker mounting throughout the car ?

this is a convertible so there is no rear package tray ...

Edited by 493dart

Here is a video of my cars speaker set up

I mounted 4" speakers in the doors. I guess you could go bigger if your willing to cut into door panel, but 4" fit perfectly in the little metal space between the bottom of the door and the panel. I'm not sure if you would have more room if you had a deluxe interior or not.

Other options could be using the stock spot. I've even seen some people place them next to the rear seats under the back window rollers, but i don't think its as clean or looks as good.

I was able to put 6" Infinity speakers in the door in the area where the window lift handle used to be. I put electric windows (electric life) in and therefor removed the mechanical window mechanisms. I mounted the lift switches in the center counsel and not in the door. Removal of the lift mechanism and handle provided an area which allowed me just barely enough room to mount the speakers without its magnets hitting the window glass in the down postion. I made my own door upholstery panels to simulate the standard panels but I see no reason why this install wouldn't work with standard panels. I'm not familiar with the Mach I panels so I couldn't say. If you go this route you should check to see that the speaker covers up the window mechanism hole if you are going to reuse the stock door panel. Here are some pics.

p5220026a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For my money the best speaker enhancment I did for my vert was going with 85' Fiero seats with the speakers built into the headrest. I also added the dual speaker set up to the center dash, they work great together, especially with loud exhaust.

Interior_006.sized.jpg

Edited by Pakrat

Just go to cj pony parts and get the bottom air vents with the speaker cutout, thats what Im doing and I know they fit at least a 5 1/4

Hopefully you have an auto. With a manual your left foot will be all over the speakers as the speaker pod sticks out quite a bit. my buddy eventually removed them because of this issue.

A 4" or a 4x6 is about the maximum you can go if you have factory window mechanisms. When the toothed arm moves down when rolling the window up, it typically is what interferes with larger speakers. I have 4x6 plate speakers (1" tweeter and 4" round) and they fit fine with the stock window stuff

I just installed 5 1/4" speakers in doors. I have delux interior so just cut holes in carpet where factory option had them. Then bought new quarter panels w a 6" pod for my rear speakers. The panels don't fit well but eventually I got them to work.

I just installed 5 1/4" speakers in doors. I have delux interior so just cut holes in carpet where factory option had them.

Does the factory scissor window assembly work and clear the speaker magnets?

Does the factory scissor window assembly work and clear the speaker magnets?

Oh forgot...added power windows but had to really be careful so speaker magnet doesn't hit one of the window glass mount bolts.