Sign in to follow this  
kevin

351 emblem

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I have a 69 with a non-functional hood scoop with the italic (slanted) 351 emblem on the scoop. One of the stick-on aluminum decals on one emblem flew off and I cannot find a supplier. The non-italic emblems are easy to find, but the italic is impossible, so far. I bought the car new, so I know it came with the car from the factory.

I have a Grande with the non-functional scoop, and the 351 non-italic emblems on the scoop. The car also has italic 351 emblems underneath the "Mustang" script on the front fenders. I suspect that the scoop was added, but don't know which engine call-outs - italic or non-italic - are correct. Can anyone help? Thanks

As far as I know the italics are fender badges. The rectangle ones are scoop badges. My Mach 1 came with fender (italic) badges on the scoop when I bought it. At the time (12 years ago) I thought they were correct and purchased a NOS set at a swap. Now I have a set of rectangle badges to use on my hood scoop, and a NOS pair of italic ones on the shelf.

Even if your car is factory, the factory did not always do what was correct.

The slanted 351 emblem was only designed to be used on the fender below the Mustang script for a 351 car that did not have a factory scoop, it is slanted to match the angle on the bottom of the "g". The most common combo for this was the Grande. There is even a more rare version of it for the 390, these were the only slanted emblems ever made for 69' for some reason and is what is correct, correct and original do not always go hand in hand on ther Ford assembly line though and anything from a parts bin would be grabbed and used to not hold up the line.

I have a scan of the assembly manual showing these somewhere as it has come up before, I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by Pakrat

I think the "italic" were glue on and the non-italic scoop badges are pin on. I would suspect that if a scoop has the italic versions on it, it was probably done after it left the factory, either at the dealer level or by an owner. I could be corrected.

I am waiting for the scoop style versions to come out in stroker size configurations. I want a 393 version.

This is pretty hard to read in the scan but you can clearly see the slanted emblem for the fender only and they call out the unique part number in the corresponding section to the right. This drawing even shows and odd scoop design that never made it to production but still the badge is not slanted on the hood.

odd_scoop.jpg

Here's a diagram for the hood detail and again though it is hard to read in a scan you can see that the emblem is square and the corresponding section to the right shows far mor engine designations available and completely different part numbers.

hood_detail.jpg

My car was built on Dec. 31, 1968, so I figure somebody was in a hurry to get home and slapped the wrong emblems on the scoop.

I found an NOS emblem at The Mustang Ranch a couple of days ago and bought it.