Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Any value for old AC compressor/condenser?

I am in the process of replacing all my under hood AC parts with parts from Classic Auto Air so I can upgrade to the Sanden compressor and the R134 refrigerant.

Do the old condenser and compressor have any value? How about the original Clutch and pully for the compressor? Both have been open to the humid GA air for about 3 weeks. The compressor was leaking oil and making a grinding noise when I pulled it (the reason for the upgrade). I am thinking this all junk, but want to ask.

I would think the condenser should be fine. I also would think you could use the condenser on your new system, it should work with either. The only thing you must do is replace the o rings on the places where it attaches. Contact the people selling the new compressor or a local AC shop, I will bet it will work with the new system.

Your old condenser will work, just not as efficiently as one designed for R134. Back in the day I converted several vehicles to run on R134 by flushing out the systems, changing o-rings, and using the correct oil. However, and isn't there always a "but" in there somewhere, your system will not work as efficiently.

That's because R134 systems operate at higher pressures and higher temperatures. R134 condensers have more tubes and fins per square inch than their R12 counterparts. That allows R134 freon to exchange heat at the higher rates in which they operate.

So yes, your original condenser will work, but it will take longer for the air inside of your car to cool down and it may not be cool enough for your liking. Just make sure you flush your system, cause a noisy compressor prolly means metal and debris floating around inside your system. Bruce

I might be interested in the old parts. I don't have my car at the house yet so I don't know what I need to do with it yet.

I do know it has dealer installed air with a different set of controls under the dash and a different vent configuration. I don't know if the compressor or condenser are the same as factory air.

Right now the condenser has been pulled from the car and is in the trunk because of some work that was done to the car.

It is being shipped to me in about a month, when I get home from vacation. I will be looking at it in 3 weeks when I go by my brother's in Virginia where it is now.