Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Aftermarket Gauge Installs

I am looking to put some aftermarket gauges in my car. I'm probably just going to go with the Sunpro three pack; Water, Oil, and Voltage. But I would like to see pics of how some of you have installed your gauges and where you installed them. There's really no place to install them near the floor, I don't want to ruin my new dash pad and screw holes into it. I'm thinking my only option may be to find some universal gauge pods and mount them to the "A" pillar.

I have mine mounted in front of the shifter on the floor. It actually is just sitting there since the probes hold it in place. The bottom of the holder is flush with the very front of the shifter assemby.

I have been researching the same thing. I have found an A pillar gauge pod that looks good. Also the pod that Max mentioned above. There are the JME dash bezels but they can be a bit pricey. I di find this on Mustangs Unlimited website.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/SubCat.asp?CatKey=EMUSTANG&SubCategory=Instrument+Clusters&SubSubCategory=69%2D70&category=Gauges&KeyWords=EMK1603&grid=

It is the JME Bezel with about 4 different styles of gauges and 3 different bezel finishes. I really like the sport comp gauges. They are a darker color, rather than the white face gauges. I don't think that the $1174.64 price tag isall that bad, which includes the bezel and all 6 gauges. It just depends on what you want to do. You can add a gauge pod but then you will be using your stock gauges. I don't have a tach and trying to find an OME one is crazy. If I find a tach, then I would have to buy the OME fuel and water temp gauge plus the price of one of the before mentioned pods & gauges. If I go with the Mustangs Unlimited set, then I can update the dash wiring with no worries. Like I said, just depends on what you want to do. Hope this helps.

Lil,

That's a little on the high side. Besides I would like to keep the stock deluxe gauge panel. Being that my vert is an original 76B Deluxe interior car it's pretty rare for 1970 as there were less than 1,500 deluxe verts in '70.

Sleek, it worked for me. Here it is again.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/SubCat.asp?CatKey=EMUSTANG&SubCategory=Instrument+Clusters&SubSubCategory=69%2D70&category=Gauges&KeyWords=EMK1603&grid

If that doesn't work, just go to Mustangs Unlimited and go to Gauges, instrument clusters, 69-70. it will show what is listed.

I understand Big Secz. I have a 69 Mach 1 with deluxe interrior w/o factory tach. I want a tach and my gauges don't work, that is why I'm looking at all my options.

It's all a matter of personal taste but I'm not really fond of a pillar pod on classic cars.

When I was running just a seperate mechanical oil gauge to get actual readings I had it attached to a spring hinge and mounted to the flange on the lower dash below my ignition. Not sure what you have in that location on a 70 with steering wheel ignition but it was nice because it was out of sight unless I wanted to view it and with the spring it's easy to just fold it open or closed. You could do something like that with a simple 3 gauge pod like this.

GaugePod3Gaugea.jpg

On my rebuild I decided that as nice as it is to have a mechanical oil guage as well as actual temperature readings and volts etc that I really don't need these while I am driving so much as I do if I need to diagnose or sense trouble in which case I am going to be under the hood so since I decided to delete my windshield washer reservoir I am installing something like this in it's place with the extra gauges instead.

ets%20pod5.jpg

Does the humphugger console go all the way underneath the dash? If not just mount them below the heater controls

I've been told the fit and finish of the A-pillar gauge trim sucks but that was awhile ago. Not sure if that has been corrected. Mostly the ends where it meets up with the dash was a problem.

Another option is to get a dash pad with A/C hole (if your car doesn't have A/C), but that is a bit expensive.

You can also remove your radio and make a plate for gauges, something 70_Fastback has done on the Stangfix forum. Depends on how much you listen to the radio.

The only other thing I can think of is to find some pods and strap them to the steering column, but not likely a very appealing look as I don't think they make pods for this old of a vehicle. They make them for newer cars though.

Does the humphugger console go all the way underneath the dash? If not just mount them below the heater controls

I've been told the fit and finish of the A-pillar gauge trim sucks but that was awhile ago. Not sure if that has been corrected. Mostly the ends where it meets up with the dash was a problem.

Another option is to get a dash pad with A/C hole (if your car doesn't have A/C), but that is a bit expensive.

You can also remove your radio and make a plate for gauges, something 70_Fastback has done on the Stangfix forum. Depends on how much you listen to the radio.

The only other thing I can think of is to find some pods and strap them to the steering column, but not likely a very appealing look as I don't think they make pods for this old of a vehicle. They make them for newer cars though.

I don't have AC, but I just purchased a brand new dash pad this past winter and installed it. I thought out using the AC vent hole but with my center dash speaker configuration it wouldn't work well.

The console doesn't go under the dash, it only surrounds the gear shifter. I thought about under the heater controls as well, but I have an ashtray (that I don't use) that might make this a little difficult.

I currently have my Tach on the steering column, not really a big fan of it there as it is.

How does the speaker affect adding gauges to the A/C hole? I'd think the speaker (stock location) is far enough away, but am not familiar with what you've done.

If you don't use the ashtray and since this isn't a concourse car, I'd remove it.

Yeah I'm not a fan of column mounted clutter either, but throwing everything out there that I can think of in terms of placement.

I am going to be using the Shelby/ashtray pod, but like you said you don't have a console. Your only options would be a hang-on bracket under your dash of the A-pillar pods. I am also considering using the A-pillar along with the Shelby pod. That way I can monitor my AOD's health and the engine vitals. Bruce

Modern cars have wider A pillars than classics. I agree with the person who said they don't like em much on older cars.

If I had to do it again, I would buy an AC dash and use the vent cutout for a custom mount. The shelby pod works OK, but the heater levers hit the tops of the gauges in mine when moving the temp control.

I thought the one that was made for the 69/70 was for Fastabcks only anyway? The A pillars are different then the coupe and vert so the fit would probably be even worse than it already is. Anyway, I still agree with the person who agrees with the person that said they don't like em much on older cars.