Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Getting the stable ready

My first post was about getting my original 1969 Fastback home after it had been at my dad's and now my brothers over the last 20+ years.

I should have it back in Texas by the end of August so I used my wife's out of town trip as an opportunity to get ready for the homecoming.

Before:

garage001.jpg

Now:

garage004.jpg

I have to etch the concrete and make sure all the oil stains are up and then I'll seal it with epoxy coating. I better hurry up because I've got to get the bikes and toys out of the kitchen before my wife gets home from her trip.

I think my daughters are going to think I cleaned it out just for their Barbie Jeep.

Anyone need a Craftsman radial arm saw or table saw, both with induction 120/240V motors? Let me know.

I am totally digging your initiative. That's awesome waiting for the wife to leave town, I know my wife would give me hell about putting stuff in the kitichen to clean out the garage...that would go over like a pregnant pole vaulter......

Can't wait to see what you are going to do to the car. That's great that you have had the car so long. A great story behind it.

You guys ought to get a laugh out of this, I used this room and another bedroom for parts. No room for guests for a while. It's aways better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Okay, now that is AWESOME! My wife would kick my @ss if I ever did that. Her exact words would be "You better find another place for those parts because that's the bed you're sleeping in." We have a full bathroom in our basement that is rarely used and I typically use that as a place to stow parts. Even then I have to hear about how she has car parts in "her" bathroom. Of course she claims it's her's because it sits right outside of her craftroom. That I built her.

Now that's and idea. We should start a thread and post picture of the "His" and "Her" spaces, LOL.

I wasn't planning on documenting this:

That pic is classic!

Don't worry, you're not alone on this one. I've hauled engines in family cars and had a tranny on the dining room table once.

Smart move, waiting for this 'window of opportunity'.

Hope you're still alive after she comes back.

Yeah, I don't think I'll show that picture to my wife. I have started getting the shelves back in the garage and most of the kids' toys are out there again. It doesn't look too much better in the kitchen yet though.

Anything that goes back in the garage has to make it past the garbage can and the donation box I have set aside.

Nice! When i got my mustang we still had a tiny little single car garage.. i recommend putting some rubber padding on the walls where your doors open if it's as narrow as mine was.. when you show it to friends and they eagerly open the door into the wall... those doors are longer than they look.

one of the most satisfying things i've done as a home owner was create "My" space in the garage.

Tex, I agree with you man it is a lot easier to do these kind of projects when the wife is out of town but instead of moving it all in the house I bought a small storage unit from Lowes and fit all my parts and the wife's crap in it. Now I have plenty of room to work. I am going to do the same thing with my garage floor when I send the Mach out for blasting. What brand of epoxy did you use? I was looking at the stuff called UCOAT.

I looked at UCoat and a few other higher solids brands. If shipping time was not an issue I might have gone that way, but it was a last minute call when my wife was leaving so I didn't get the order in on time.

I used Rustoleum brand from Home Depot. Just made sure the prep was done really good and did not park a car on it for a week.

I definitely recommend doing a clear coat. With the rustoleum 2 coats would have been better but it is a lot more expensive than the tinted.

Edited by TexasEd

That pic is classic!

Don't worry, you're not alone on this one. I've hauled engines in family cars and had a tranny on the dining room table once.

Smart move, waiting for this 'window of opportunity'.

Hope you're still alive after she comes back.

Like Jeff Foxworthy once said " Someone move this transmission, I want to take a bath"!!!

Hey Tex! I am curious to see how the garage came out with the new coating. I am getting closer to starting mine and need a benchmark to shoot for. Did you park the pink Jeep back in there?

I think I broke the link to my finished picture. Here it is again:

garage1.jpg

I highly recommend the clear coating. It is much more expensive than the colored epoxy, but it adds a shine that is easy to clean up. It will be very slippery if you don't add the sand/grit to the mix.

Dirty car in the garage after the trip from Virginia on the back of an 18 wheeler.

d6b7318b.jpg

Hey Tex! I am curious to see how the garage came out with the new coating. I am getting closer to starting mine and need a benchmark to shoot for. Did you park the pink Jeep back in there?

I think I broke the link to my finished picture. Here it is again:

garage1.jpg

I highly recommend the clear coating. It is much more expensive than the colored epoxy, but it adds a shine that is easy to clean up. It will be very slippery if you don't add the sand/grit to the mix.

Dirty car in the garage after the trip from Virginia on the back of an 18 wheeler.

d6b7318b.jpg

Ed the garage looks great. When my wife & I moved into my uncles old house I tore out the built in shelves down on the floor & put in som on the side by my tool box & across the back of the garage above my work bench so now I have a place to store all my nuts, bolts, & screws. I am thinking of building a couple overhead storage shelves over the garage door like the ones in your first pic to store some of my parts, because we have just a one car garage & no basement to store parts in. :(

Mike.

Ed the garage looks great. When my wife & I moved into my uncles old house I tore out the built in shelves down on the floor & put in som on the side by my tool box & across the back of the garage above my work bench so now I have a place to store all my nuts, bolts, & screws. I am thinking of building a couple overhead storage shelves over the garage door like the ones in your first pic to store some of my parts, because we have just a one car garage & no basement to store parts in. :(

Mike.