Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

351C Header Problem

Yes I have a four post one. You sure the cops aren't going to hassle you? 7-8 miles you might pass a few.

PM'd...

I'm sure I'll have to talk fast if I got pulled over. It's something i'd rather not have to do.

I'm thinking about getting a 4 Post myself. It's the only way i'll be able to buy another car without sacraficing my truck....and you know we can't have that. Will probably need to pick your brain on this one.

I'm running Sandersons, can't remember the model off the top of my head.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Ford-Cleveland-and-Midland-351C-400M/

brakes001.jpg

brakes002.jpg

brakes003.jpg

brakes004.jpg

Wait a minute. Sorry for reviving this up but i am using the same stuff and now having a problem. There it have the broken side and i need a welding job for it.As much as possible, I don't want it to take to a shop because I am saving money. I am wondering if the original poster successfully did what he wanted to do.

I'm running Sandersons, can't remember the model off the top of my head.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Ford-Cleveland-and-Midland-351C-400M/

brakes001.jpg

brakes002.jpg

brakes003.jpg

brakes004.jpg

Wait a minute. Sorry for reviving this up but i am using the same stuff and now having a problem. There it have the broken side and i need a welding job for it.As much as possible, I don't want it to take to a shop because I am saving money. I am wondering if the original poster successfully did what he wanted to do.

A couple years ago I tried in vain to put a set of Hooker Super Comps in our car, they were horrible, I had to return them. Currently I have a set of Black Jacks, if you unbolt them they fall to the floor. I don't know if it was the headers that were bad, or a problem with the car, but the next set I will use is black jack...my 2 cents worth

And the damndest thing is those guys at Holley (Holley owns Hooker) will tell you its your car and that the shock towers "sag" on these old Mustangs. Well I guess the frame rails narrow up too as I had to clearance for my motor mount brackets, idler arm, pitman arm, steering box, etc. Its no wonder so many people return them. I only wish I had the engine in where I would have discovered the problem before my 30 days was up.

Okay,

I got the RM mounts in last night.... My pipe still rubs. <- That doesn't sound right...

Anyway, my problem is I have no lateral play. Will try to post pics tonight.

Courses of Action:

1. Stopped by HD for 1/4" steel stock. Will fab up "riser" plates to sit atop the RM mounts and tranny cross member.

2. My Keisler T45RS tranny is extremely close to my tunnel (where the shifter comes through). Dying to use my RotoZip Saw with cutoff wheel. :punk:

The idea is to raise my drive train up 1/2".

I figure if it still rubs from the engine lope after that, screw it. I'll eventually ding them at the rub spots(tack weld the holes up if there are any). It would cost me more in time and effort to pull the headers off at this point.

Okay, it's not perfect, but it's not rubbing. I'll have to come back with details. (Got my daughters tonight :001_smile:)

Here are the pics:

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

Edited by Cupid

And the damndest thing is those guys at Holley (Holley owns Hooker) will tell you its your car and that the shock towers "sag" on these old Mustangs. Well I guess the frame rails narrow up too as I had to clearance for my motor mount brackets, idler arm, pitman arm, steering box, etc. Its no wonder so many people return them. I only wish I had the engine in where I would have discovered the problem before my 30 days was up.

Thats exactly what the "experts" said, my car was tweaked. We have owned it since 77, too bad as I loved the look of the headers, but again the fit was horrible....

Cupid.... how do you like the quality, fit, and finish, of the RM mounts?

I really like them. They clean the engine bay up quite a bit. A little heavier, but that's negligible. Just think he would make more $ if he had the option to raise your motor as well. You can see the spacers I had to make to raise mine. I would have liked to see two sets of drilled holes in the mount plates. One maybe 1/2"-1" higher.

I have a 69 with Cleveland. I choose FPA headers and have had only minor fitment issues. After installation I had a slight rub on the steering box. I installed the RM mounts and shifted the engine about one half inch to the right. Now I have a perfect fit. I would recommend thes mounts to anyone with fitment issues

Thats exactly what the "experts" said, my car was tweaked. We have owned it since 77, too bad as I loved the look of the headers, but again the fit was horrible....

There is definitely a consistency problem with hooker, how is it one guys car they fit and work great and another guy cant get them in with similar engine trans combos? Car sagging is a copout answer.:angry: They need to go down to Mexico where they are made and tighten up the process.:hammer: I had a set of super comps and the build quality is horrible. I cut the collectors off and completely re worked them. You want to throw up in your mouth shine a flashlight down the collector end and look at all of the weld gobs and burrs. I just finished cutting up and re working a set of hooker FE race headers(not mine)to fit a car. Horrible build quality and they cost almost a grand.

This is why anymore for my own cars I build my own headers. If you have the patience and know how to weld you can build something so far superior to what is on the market.

Sorry for the rant.

Agreed - just to update my progress, I too gave up on the long tube ceramic super comp headers. I bought the Sandersons and they are close in places but they clear!

I have a set of full length Hooker Super Comp ceramic headers if anyone is looking for a set for 351c 4V.

There is definitely a consistency problem with hooker, how is it one guys car they fit and work great and another guy cant get them in with similar engine trans combos? Car sagging is a copout answer.:angry: They need to go down to Mexico where they are made and tighten up the process.:hammer: I had a set of super comps and the build quality is horrible. I cut the collectors off and completely re worked them. You want to throw up in your mouth shine a flashlight down the collector end and look at all of the weld gobs and burrs. I just finished cutting up and re working a set of hooker FE race headers(not mine)to fit a car. Horrible build quality and they cost almost a grand.

This is why anymore for my own cars I build my own headers. If you have the patience and know how to weld you can build something so far superior to what is on the market.

Sorry for the rant.

Totally fracking funny!!:taz: No problem on the rant and I agree. Bruce

Need some thoughts from those of you who have messed with this 351C 4V header PITA already. I've got a 69 sportsroof w/power steering and stock gearbox, AC, power disk brakes. The answer seems to be shorties -SANDERSONS

But here is the curve ball, I'm looking at a set of aftermarket alum heads that have a raised exhaust port (by a half inch) requiring 4V headers. So with the angle of the heads on the block I'm guessing the raised ports will both raise and extend the headers outward (.25 each way??).

Do you think having the raised port would help or hinder further on fitment of long tube headers?

What about Sandersons?