Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

351C Header Problem

For those of you with Clevelands, what headers are you running?

I had these on:

2011-06-11_07-56-15_193.jpg

Can any body tell me what they are?

Well they were scraping too bad so I went back to the stock manifolds. Really a rudementary "shorty" for all intents and purposes. Worked great, except they cracked and started spilling fumes in my engine compartment...which meant into the cabin.

My third shot was to go all out and get the FPA's. The passenger side fit perfectly, but I have/had issues with the drivers side. Stan had two kinds. One hit the steering gear box. (couldn't even get the box in at all) The second contacts the pitman arm nut and subsequently the pitman arm after 1.5 turns. Not good at all.

1st one:

2011-05-14_13-37-38_546.jpg

2011-06-11_07-04-00_252.jpg

I'm currently working with Stan, who has been absolutely awesome up to this point. Now i'm faced with sending them back.

I thought about the Ron Morris motor mounts, but it only moves the motor approx 1" to the passenger side. I don't think that is enough.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm thinking about going with the cheap Hookers. They hand low (oil pan height), but so does the FPA's....

For those of you with Clevelands, what headers are you running?

I had these on:

2011-06-11_07-56-15_193.jpg

Can any body tell me what they are?

Well they were scraping too bad so I went back to the stock manifolds. Really a rudementary "shorty" for all intents and purposes. Worked great, except they cracked and started spilling fumes in my engine compartment...which meant into the cabin.

My third shot was to go all out and get the FPA's. The passenger side fit perfectly, but I have/had issues with the drivers side. Stan had two kinds. One hit the steering gear box. (couldn't even get the box in at all) The second contacts the pitman arm nut and subsequently the pitman arm after 1.5 turns. Not good at all.

1st one:

2011-05-14_13-37-38_546.jpg

2011-06-11_07-04-00_252.jpg

I'm currently working with Stan, who has been absolutely awesome up to this point. Now i'm faced with sending them back.

I thought about the Ron Morris motor mounts, but it only moves the motor approx 1" to the passenger side. I don't think that is enough.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm thinking about going with the cheap Hookers. They hand low (oil pan height), but so does the FPA's....

I have ceramic Hooker Super Comps to put on my 70 Mach with 351C and although I checked them for clearance on the AOD outside the car, am wondering about other clearances. Think I will try hanging them this weekend just to see what issues I might have.

Is your car lowered? Stock ride height and front springs?

I have ceramic Hooker Super Comps to put on my 70 Mach with 351C and although I checked them for clearance on the AOD outside the car, am wondering about other clearances. Think I will try hanging them this weekend just to see what issues I might have.

Shelby drop. Springs are not cut, but I think they are from a 65/66 stang so they are probably 1" lower as well?

Shelby drop. Springs are not cut, but I think they are from a 65/66 stang so they are probably 1" lower as well?

Close to same but 4 sp and arning drop in front with stock replacement springs. Drivers side hangs low and scrapes, pass side doesn't.

Fitting them in while it is close in some spots, nothing hits or rubs in eng compartment.

Close to same but 4 sp and arning drop in front with stock replacement springs. Drivers side hangs low and scrapes, pass side doesn't.

Fitting them in while it is close in some spots, nothing hits or rubs in eng compartment.

^^ It must be destiny b/c I was in the process of looking at Saderson's right now... Literally! Thanks for the pics. I have a 2V, so I need the spacers. Do you have a 2V as well? I'm wondering if the spacers will push it them too far towards my shock towers.

^^ It must be destiny b/c I was in the process of looking at Saderson's right now... Literally! Thanks for the pics. I have a 2V, so I need the spacers. Do you have a 2V as well? I'm wondering if the spacers will push it them too far towards my shock towers.

I have Hooker super comp, they are great build quality but fitment is the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with, took me 5 hours to drop in the engine yesterday and just over 3 of them were dealing with the headers. If you install them with the tranny attached, motor has to be halfway out, angled steep, and the drivers side has to go on before the passenger side....

I have Hooker super comp, they are great build quality but fitment is the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with, took me 5 hours to drop in the engine yesterday and just over 3 of them were dealing with the headers. If you install them with the tranny attached, motor has to be halfway out, angled steep, and the drivers side has to go on before the passenger side....

Man, I dropped mine in 2-3 weekends ago and never thought of dropping in with headers installed. What kind of fun will Hooker Super Comps be to install in a 70 Mach with engine and transmission in place? I truly hope I dont have to unbolt motor mounts - they were a MAJOR pain.

All,

I have decided to send the FPA's back to STAN. They just wouldn't work. I'm looking into the Sanderson shorties. Dislike that I have to use sealant instead of head gaskets. That just sounds like a major pain! Apparently they come with down tubes from the collector. How cool! I may just be able to weld up everything myself. Woot! Woot!

Man, I dropped mine in 2-3 weekends ago and never thought of dropping in with headers installed. What kind of fun will Hooker Super Comps be to install in a 70 Mach with engine and transmission in place? I truly hope I dont have to unbolt motor mounts - they were a MAJOR pain.

I installed mine with eng/trans in place.

The pass side slide right in and only had to remove the drivers side long bolt on the mount and jack the eng up slightly to install the drivers side to clear the steering box.

Now the clutch adjusting is quite the pain to do but it can be done.

The Sanderson Shorties are on! Yay! I will say, they are not as sexy as the FPA, but they fit! (And clear my borgeson box) Well, for the most part. I had to put spacers on my mounts to raise the engine a little. No contact on the passenger side, extremely minor contact on the driver side. Plan to get the car on a lift to see if I can figure something out. Thought about the custom motor mounts, but those guys do not allow for upward adjustment. Just left to right and front to back. May be able to move mine back a tiny bit, but i'm not too worried about it. Pics to follow.

Glad to hear you got it done. :thumbup: You have access to a lift?

Not at all. I have to go to Ft Meade or Andrews AFB to use theirs. You have one?

The plan is to drop it off at Midas (on Rt. 214) on Thursday. Horrible, I know....but it's the closest place that can do the alignment as well as weld up my exhaust for me. It's probably 7-8 miles from the house. Open headers the whole way....

I could pay the $60 for the uhaul trailer. Hard to justify it for a one way 8 mile trip. May as well get it towed for that much.

Not at all. I have to go to Ft Meade or Andrews AFB to use theirs. You have one?

The plan is to drop it off at Midas (on Rt. 214) on Thursday. Horrible, I know....but it's the closest place that can do the alignment as well as weld up my exhaust for me. It's probably 7-8 miles from the house. Open headers the whole way....

I could pay the $60 for the uhaul trailer. Hard to justify it for a one way 8 mile trip. May as well get it towed for that much.

Yes I have a four post one. You sure the cops aren't going to hassle you? 7-8 miles you might pass a few.