Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

Painting a couple parts on my mach

So my wing, hood, and tail panel on my 69 mach1 needs to be repainted. The rest of the car isnt bad at all except for a large chip in the front drivers side fenders where the paint just chipped off from the bondo. Anyway, I cant afford to get the body painted for a few years and if I can paint those items it would look so much better. Can I just scuff it up, primer and paint it with spray paint? Ive seen it done on horsepower tv and looked nice. If so, what type of primer and paint should I get that I can get form advanced auto or napa?

So my wing, hood, and tail panel on my 69 mach1 needs to be repainted. The rest of the car isnt bad at all except for a large chip in the front drivers side fenders where the paint just chipped off from the bondo. Anyway, I cant afford to get the body painted for a few years and if I can paint those items it would look so much better. Can I just scuff it up, primer and paint it with spray paint? Ive seen it done on horsepower tv and looked nice. If so, what type of primer and paint should I get that I can get form advanced auto or napa?

I'm not a painter but if it were me I would consider looking into Duplicolor's Paint Shop line of products. You can get the primer, color, and clear and since they are designed to work with each other I would think it would eliminate worrying if you got the right stuff or not. Just a thought.

I'm not a painter but if it were me I would consider looking into Duplicolor's Paint Shop line of products. You can get the primer, color, and clear and since they are designed to work with each other I would think it would eliminate worrying if you got the right stuff or not. Just a thought.

Why not take a sample to your local auto paint store and let them mix you up a quart or so to paint yourself? You could get a single stage paint and keep it simple and cheap. I want to say a quart of the lower end PPG single stage was around $45 last time I had some mixed up.

Why not take a sample to your local auto paint store and let them mix you up a quart or so to paint yourself? You could get a single stage paint and keep it simple and cheap. I want to say a quart of the lower end PPG single stage was around $45 last time I had some mixed up.

I believe all of the hood black out, wing & tail panel originally came with the flat black. They were not cleared from the factory. Keeping in mind the trouble with wax and flat black paint, I've seen folks use semi gloss and clear over it so that they don't have to worry about turning their flat black white by accidentally wiping car polish on it.

I believe all of the hood black out, wing & tail panel originally came with the flat black. They were not cleared from the factory. Keeping in mind the trouble with wax and flat black paint, I've seen folks use semi gloss and clear over it so that they don't have to worry about turning their flat black white by accidentally wiping car polish on it.

As I recall when we had a thread way back about blackout paint options, there are a few flats that can get wax on them without issue, I think one of them was either the Mercedes flat black or Sikkens rally flat. I'll see if I can dig it up.

As I recall when we had a thread way back about blackout paint options, there are a few flats that can get wax on them without issue, I think one of them was either the Mercedes flat black or Sikkens rally flat. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I thought you were going body color on them? I did some research on this as I have some black stripes I need to add to my Mach 1 project once completed. I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PPG-DDL9423-LOW-GLOSS-Black-Accent-PAINT-Hood-Scoop-Car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0685d63QQitemZ390311992675QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

PPGDDL9423-QT.jpg

I thought you were going body color on them? I did some research on this as I have some black stripes I need to add to my Mach 1 project once completed. I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PPG-DDL9423-LOW-GLOSS-Black-Accent-PAINT-Hood-Scoop-Car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0685d63QQitemZ390311992675QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

PPGDDL9423-QT.jpg

I know the original black on the Machs actually had a unique textured finish. I read that this is a great product for smooth, black matte finish. I have not used it myself but planned to get my dealer to pour me a sample so I can test. Its acrylic laquer so I believe is single stage product.

why would use spray a lacquer if you're going with a smooth finish?