Sign in to follow this  
Lou the Great

Disc or Drum spindles, best upgrade options

Hi All,

This is my first post but I've owned my car for 15 years and driven it for half of that. I drive my car on a daily basis during the summer months and I feel it's time to upgrade to disc brakes from my manual drums all around. I'm trying to find the most bang for the buck. I might be in a unique position because I have both factory disc spindles and drum spindles. My parts car has the factory manual discs.

I'd like to know more about what options are available to me but I'm having trouble sorting through all the info the web has to offer. I find myself asking the following questions:

Does anyone make a rotor and caliper upgrade for the factory disc set up?

Do aftermarket upgrades always require a master cylinder that isn't factory in appearance.

Are rear disc worth the cost for a responsibly driven daily driver?

Where IS Waldo?

and other such important questions. I know I haven't narrowed my requirements very well here. I'm at the early stages of thinking about this project and am open to all ideas. Please share your experiences with me so that I might learn from the.

Thank you,

Lou

Definitely call Shaun at Street or Track. I have stock power Disc in front and Drum out back. I used Shaun's kit and used the Disc spindle, and everything went on perfect. I upgraded the rear to disc as well mainly for ease of maintenance and appearence, but feel they do function better than the drums, for me it was difficult to get the drums adjusted properly to work at their optimum. I just used the stock Master cylinder and just an adjustable proportioning valve for the rears and it works great. Good luck!!!!

Definitely call Shaun at Street or Track. I have stock power Disc in front and Drum out back. I used Shaun's kit and used the Disc spindle, and everything went on perfect. I upgraded the rear to disc as well mainly for ease of maintenance and appearence, but feel they do function better than the drums, for me it was difficult to get the drums adjusted properly to work at their optimum. I just used the stock Master cylinder and just an adjustable proportioning valve for the rears and it works great. Good luck!!!!

go to www.discbrakeswap.com there are several swap kits that this guy makes.

One is the granada swap... one uses the factory drum brake spindle(this is what i got)... and there is one more cant remember what it is though.

Can get the whole deal from this guy including master cylinder, booster, etc...

Its also relatively cheap

Oh and you can still fit 15'' rims

Edited by brianrupp78

go to www.discbrakeswap.com there are several swap kits that this guy makes.

One is the granada swap... one uses the factory drum brake spindle(this is what i got)... and there is one more cant remember what it is though.

Can get the whole deal from this guy including master cylinder, booster, etc...

Its also relatively cheap

Oh and you can still fit 15'' rims

Edited by brianrupp78

if your parts car has factory disc and the calippers, brakepads and rotors are still good, all you need is to swap the spindles with brakes and maybe add a brake booster+master cylinder.

if your parts car has factory disc and the calippers, brakepads and rotors are still good, all you need is to swap the spindles with brakes and maybe add a brake booster+master cylinder.

I understood the factory drum spindle used the 4 piston KH caliper (which I read is prone to sticking) and I think the granada spindle limits use of wheels to 15 and may cause bump steer. So I went with the 70 mustang disc spindle (so I use a single piston caliper), and I am happy- FWIW chockostang helped me with information and guidance- so he might be able to further direct you-

I understood the factory drum spindle used the 4 piston KH caliper (which I read is prone to sticking) and I think the granada spindle limits use of wheels to 15 and may cause bump steer. So I went with the 70 mustang disc spindle (so I use a single piston caliper), and I am happy- FWIW chockostang helped me with information and guidance- so he might be able to further direct you-