Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

Steering Column Rebuild ...

I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine and have read all related threads, this one was the most helpful:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2020&highlight=steering+column

I've got the "7347" white insulator that goes at the bottom between the inner & outer tubes but not the one (also marked 7347) that goes on the end of the inner tube. The exploded view (below) also shows a "7C102" and a "3E629" but I've never seen any mention of these other parts other than in this exploded view. Anyone actually have these "other" parts in their column ??

I have play in my upper bearing so I bought a brand new Ford upper bearing from Mac's and the correct rubber sleeve for it from CJ. Upon disassembly, I find that my bearing is actually ok ... it was just caked with old dark grease ... the play I have is between the inner bearing race and the shaft !! Inner bearing race measures 0.750" and the shaft measures 0.740". 2 to 5 thousands clearance would be acceptable IMO but 10 thousands has got to be too much telling me my shaft is worn. Anyone have this problem and come up with a solution other than a replacement shaft ??

My car is a manual steering car with over 150k miles on it, so I can see why my shaft may be worn.

For a replacement Inner tube to steering shaft Insulator I'm thinking I'll just put some 1/4x3/4" adhesive backed gasketing in the end of the tube as there is a 5/16" difference all the way around so this should fill the gap pretty well without rubbing.

Doug

Hey Buckeye, thanks ... was just looking on the Vintage-Mustang forum and found a link to that site and was just coming back here to post my findings but you beat me to it !!

http://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7C102-A

and

http://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-3E629-A

As a bonus, the cut-out center of 3E629-A is included for use as a replacement of 3B361 that goes in the end of the steering shaft.

Just pulled out what was left of my 3B361 ... see pic below.

According to the last post in this thread ...

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/626941-steering-column-questions-w-pics.html

... the 7347 insulator may be in process of being reproduced. No mention whether it is the inner or outer 7347 or if it will be both.

So hey, we're getting somewhere !!

Doug

I looked all over the place for that 7347 plastic piece at the bottom of the column for my car. Struck out BIG time. If, and thats a BIG if, you can find one it will be a good used or NOS. Mine was so brittle it snapped when I was trying to remove it. Now it's a feather weight. Bruce

Placed an order with Muscle Car Reseach last night for the column seals and a few other obsure items I've never seen anywhere else:

1) C9AZ-7C102-A ... $5.00 (Outer to Inner Tube Seal)

1) C9AZ-3E629-A ... $5.00 (Column Shaft Insulator, includes 3B361 Tube End Seal)

1) C9ZZ-2B022-A ... $15.00 (Brake Booster to Firewall Gasket)

1) Rebuild Kit for Brake Diff Block ... $10.00

1) Repl. Elastic Strapping for Shoulder Belts ... $1.00

1 pr) Shock Tower Brake Line Gromets ... $2.50

Add Shipping ... $6.78 for a grand total of $45.28

To fix the 0.010" of slop in my steering column shaft to bearing I'm getting some Permatex 20297 which will fill gaps between worn mating parts up to 0.020". If it ever needs to be taken apart in the future, some heat and a press may be required but that will likely be after I'm dead & gone !!

Doug

Went to NPD (1 hr drive) hoping to buy everything I needed for the column rebuild. Only had the Steering Column Seal. Did a search and with the help of your posts I was able to locate the parts I need

1) C9AZ-7C102-A ... $5.00 (Outer to Inner Tube Seal)

1) C9AZ-3E629-A ... $5.00 (Column Shaft Insulator, includes 3B361 Tube End Seal)

Thanks so much for posting.

Happy Holidays

After reading your added post, I just noticed I never followed up on how it all went back together.

I ended up fabricating my own "7347" inner tube-to-shaft seal retainer from a white PVC coupling. Don't remember exactly what I used but the o.d. needed some very light sanding to fit snuggly inside the tube end and I added a small hole on the bottom side for a screw so it would not slip out. It's purpose is only to keep the foam seal from slipping out the end of the tube and I'm assuming the factory one being molded snapped into some notches to keep it in place. I have it protruding slightly from the end of the collumn and since it is white it somewhat replicates the visible portion of the correct Ford retainer.

Using some sort of permanent bearing interference paste to fix my upper bearing slop scared me so I ended up wrapping a strip of adhesive backed S.S. 0.005" shim stock around the steering shaft where the bearing rides to take up the slop. Slop is gone and steering wheel feels much better now ... hopefully the factory snap rings on either side of the bearing will keep my custom shim in place.

Searched my pictures and somehow I never took pics of the finished collumn ... sorry !!

Doug

I think thats the route I'm gonna take, fabricating my own. Adding a set screw of some sort sounds like the way to go. Gonna have the guys make me one out of white delron material. I'll post some pix when I have it done and ready to install.

I'll also see if I can get them to create a drawing/sketch with dimensions so future search's will have access to fabricating one.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine and have read all related threads, this one was the most helpful:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2020&highlight=steering+column

I've got the "7347" white insulator that goes at the bottom between the inner & outer tubes but not the one (also marked 7347) that goes on the end of the inner tube. The exploded view (below) also shows a "7C102" and a "3E629" but I've never seen any mention of these other parts other than in this exploded view. Anyone actually have these "other" parts in their column ??

I *DO* have that same white part(s), except, when I disassembled, I found that my was cracked, very brittle and needs replacing. I really need to locate one of these things. Sounds like you found you own way and fabbed something, although I am having trouble visualizing.

This thread is awesome btw, really happy to have that link to musclecar, and I know I'll be getting some stuff there.

Thx for the helpful thread.

Edited by JayEstes

You know, since I have joined this site I have found more obscure websites that have mustang parts then i thought. It would be really nice if there was a sticky for all these sites, because I'm sure there are a lot more that I don't know about. and if the sticky was listed by category I bet it would help a lot of us out trying to source 45 year old parts.

Edited by FordRacing

ok guys. I am still struggling putting this back together. I bought that white plastic repro piece from Scott (VERY happy with the service and that the part is available!). I also got the 3 foam bushings. Everyhting is great quality.

But what is the assembly sequence? And, what is the purpose of the complicated little white piece that fits INSIDE the middle shaft? I can't see what purpose it serves? It fits, and snaps into that tube, but for what? How does it work?

I could really use some assembly sequence description or -even better- some pics of how these pieces all go together, and what the purpose of each is.

Can anyone help with that? I'll be happy to post the pics and sequencing of assembly if someone can help…

Jay

I thought I linked to a write up and some pics on my rebuild earlier this year. I posted here and on the mustangforums site as well under classic tech.

Unfortunately I cant get to their site from my office.

I'll try to look tonight if you cant find it.

ok guys. I am still struggling putting this back together. I bought that white plastic repro piece from Scott (VERY happy with the service and that the part is available!). I also got the 3 foam bushings. Everyhting is great quality.

But what is the assembly sequence? And, what is the purpose of the complicated little white piece that fits INSIDE the middle shaft? I can't see what purpose it serves? It fits, and snaps into that tube, but for what? How does it work?

I could really use some assembly sequence description or -even better- some pics of how these pieces all go together, and what the purpose of each is.

Can anyone help with that? I'll be happy to post the pics and sequencing of assembly if someone can help…

Jay

Both of the white pieces keep the foam from dropping out of the tubes .... that much I know / remember. Why they are not similar since they serve the same purpose is kind of baffling.

I wish I had taken some pics while I did mine back in 2011. It was just one of those projects that I was not looking forward to, and was concerned I'd not get it all back together the way it came apart so all my concentration was on the dis-assembly / re-assembly rather than documenting it.

If it were something I did this past Summer (rather than 3 summers ago), I'd be able to recall some of the procedure !!

Hopefully 69Volunteer can help !!

Doug