Sign in to follow this  
mikeny3

Disc Brake conversion

I would stick with 70 or later. I don't know about the rest of the ford lines but in 70 the mustang went with the larger spindle used on the 69 boss 302 cars for disk brake cars. I have 70 cougar front spindles on my 69. IIRC, maverick & granada +mercury versions, are direct bolt on. Can someone verify?

I would stick with 70 or later. I don't know about the rest of the ford lines but in 70 the mustang went with the larger spindle used on the 69 boss 302 cars for disk brake cars. I have 70 cougar front spindles on my 69. IIRC, maverick & granada +mercury versions, are direct bolt on. Can someone verify?

I have a 1970 fastback with a six cylinder and front drums. Will a 1969 Mercury Montego spindle set up work to convert over to 5 lug and front disc brakes?

1969 Mustang & Montego share the same disc brake spindles & related brake parts ... but as others said all '70-up spindles are larger (require different wheel bearings) and also have larger tie rod ends so you will need to change tie rod ends too.

You will just have to remember that your car now takes '69 spec parts when shopping for brake rotors, bearings, seals, & tie rod ends in the future and try and pass this ino on to the next owner if/when you sell.

Doug

I recommend you check with MustangSteve at mustangsteve.com.

He can sell you the brackets that bolt onto your front drum spindels, and install factory 13" cobra brakes. ( rotor, caliper, pads all standad parts you can purchase in any autostore.)