Sign in to follow this  
Sidthing

A 70 Boss 302 story.

I can't remember if I had mentioned this story before, but I was cursing how fate sometimes works against me specifically with this car. Back in 99 I moved up to Chicago to go to U.T.I. and was working at a machine shop. Those guys get some good leads on engines and sometimes more. This one gentleman, I can't remember how I was put in touch with him, was selling some Boss 302 parts. I went up to his shop to look at some heads specifically. He had two pristine 70 Boss 302s sitting in his shop that he had owned since he was a teenager. His father bought him his first one in high school, and a couple years later he bought another and turned it into a race car, I didn't ask what kind of racing because I was in owe looking at both of them restored to better than new condition. He was selling the one he had bought and hanging on to the one his father gave him. I can't even remember what the one he was keeping looked like because I knew he wouldn't part with it. It wasn't as highly optioned as it sat while I tried to hide the excitement in my pants. It was calypso coral with the black stripes, shaker, air damn, slats, spoiler and I think he even had the tach on the hood. I asked what he wanted for it, and he said 17 grand. That was astromonical to me then making $8.50 an hour. I tried to get my dad to bite on it, but he couldn't. The only other time I was close enough to owning one of those was a year or so after that, up at the Columbus super swap. A clapped out 69 Boss 302 shell was for sale for 9 grand.

At least I don't have the regrets I bet some of you guys do.

Two similar stories... in 1995 I had a chance to buy a 1969 Boss 429 for $27,000.... I passed...... in 2001 I had a chance to buy a 1968 GT 500 KR convertible 4spd a/c car for $45,000....I passed....I kept my 1969 Mach 1 that I've owned since 1994.....but imagine if I'd bought either of the other two..... ugh.

Yeah, they'd be worth so much you'd be afraid to drive them and have someone hit them, or have something else happen! Aside from the investment angle, I don't think I'd want a real Boss 429 or Shelby KR. They're getting so valuable anymore that I'd be scared to drive them. And to me the fun in having a muscle car is driving and/or racing it.

Edited by maxum96

When I was in grade 8 in 1978, I happened to walk through the cars up for auction at the Ottawa Exhibition Fair grounds and was in awe of a 1969 Shelby Mustang, dark silver if I recall, and I believe that it sold at auction for $6900.00. I was just a kid and asked my father to make a bid, but he was driving a 1970 Green Ford Country Squire station wagon and did not see the practicality of the Shelby....opportunities lost...

Bill from Ottawa Canada

not a boss.. but ford power... i was in Charlotte, NC at the auto fair around 98-99.... i thought i would walk over to the auction with a co-worker and their it was .. a 1972 Pantera a dream car for me... all stock low miles and one owner.... i think the family of the doctor that purchased it was selling it..

i had 7 year old twin girls and was now in a minivan hell moment.... i was trying to come up with money over the phone any how any way fast.... the Pantera sold for 16k with very few bids.... and was driven away... :crying:

the closest i came to a Boss find was a 69 C stripe car ... wasnt a boss but an optioned car with the C stripe .... same C stripe as the boss but with no Boss 302 naming in it... other leads turned out not to be a boss... ya know the one you can barely see from the road but go up to the house and no its not for sale shouted before you get up the stairs.... lol... i guess driving up in a mustang is a dead giveaway ...

went to a mustang show around that same time at Bristol motor speedway..

guy had a 69 Shelby... very nice car, it was in the car show and driven to the show... had a 351 .. said he would take 19k for it... i said nah thanks but im not sure i want to invest in it... wow...i feel like Gomer Pyle ... gaaahhh layyyee... look at the prices...

Edited by stangme428

I had an opportunity to buy a running '68 fastback with a 289, 4 bbl and a 4 speed for $400 in 1982. The paint was faded and chipped, the interior had shag carpet and no headliner, but it RAN. I couldn't come up with the money. Sure I wish I had found away, but in the end it was just a car.

The one that got away that I truly regret was no pile of metal, rubber and plastic. She was cute as a button and crazy about me. Boy was I stupid!!

Shhh, don't talk about the cars like that, they might hear you. Cars won't cheat on you, intentionally get knocked up, and or divorce you. You can keep them locked up in a garage if you don't feel like dealing with them, and they won't call the cops on you.

I've never thought while spending money on one of my cars, "Man I wish I was spending this on a dinner for a girl who will waste most of the food anyways."

One of my old jobs they used to joke around that there were heterosexuals, and homosexuals, but I was the first auto-sexual they had ever heard of.

Shhh, don't talk about the cars like that, they might hear you. Cars won't cheat on you, intentionally get knocked up, and or divorce you. You can keep them locked up in a garage if you don't feel like dealing with them, and they won't call the cops on you.

ROTFL! well I ended up with the one that would divorce me and take all my money.

I've never thought while spending money on one of my cars, "Man I wish I was spending this on a dinner for a girl who will waste most of the food anyways."

still ROTFL!!

One of my old jobs they used to joke around that there were heterosexuals, and homosexuals, but I was the first auto-sexual they had ever heard of.

hurting now while ROTFL!

Edited by 69gmachine

I thought I'd share a couple stories...

First, around 1984, while living in Germany, I spied a nice early Pantera with a for sale sign in the base exchange parking lot. When we parked and my parents went in, I wandered over to the Pantera to gawk... I was 12. The asking price: $3200. Shockingly, I couldn't get my father or mother to even consider the possibility of thinking about it. Sigh...

Second, in 1987, while living in Ft. Bragg NC, I spied a Nickel paper ad for a '63 Mercury Marauder with a 390 4V for $600. I convinced my mother to take the hour long scenic drive out to the middle of nowhere on an unmarked road. When we arrived, we found the yard full of old Fords and Mercurys, all owned by an old redneck. He'd just bought 'em over the years and had probably 40 cars out there. So I took a look at the rather rough Marauder while eyeing some of the other stuff (that was equally rough) and noticed a cleaner '63 Meteor. I asked about it and he said: "yeah, that one's for sale too, but I want $1200 for it." Out of my budget, but the kicker was that it had a 427 and a 4 speed shoved in it! Sigh...

Last story... in the summer of 1988 (I was 15), while living in Carlisle PA, I spied an ad in the local paper for a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. Asking price was $1200... oh wait, I bought this one. Check my sig. :)