Sign in to follow this  
pw520a

390 intake manifold and carb

Hello, I am restoring a 69 s code mach 1, the 390 has been rebuilt stock. I have a new edelbrock performer 1411 750 carb that came with my purchase of the car is this to much carb? I am thinking of installing a edelbrock 2105 duel plane performer intake manifold, would this be a good match for the gt heads and carb? Thanks Gary on whidbey Island

I also have a stock 69 S code and run a new Holley 770 Street Avenger on it and it works fine (not to big). The Edelbrocks performers seem to have a richer Idle circit for a larger than stock cam so it might be a little fat @ an idle but I would run it their great carbs.

I wouldn't go with the plain Performer intake though. Other than saving weight, it's not much better than stock. The Eddy Performer RPM, Blue Thunder, and Eddy Streetmaster are better for power. Ford made some darn good aluminum ones back in the day for FE engines too, like the Police Interceptor and some of the 427 intakes, but you will pay a pretty penny for those unless you find one for sale and the seller doesn't know what he has. For a stock/mild 390, it might like a 600 or 650 cfm carb better, but the more performance modifications you make, the more it will like the 750.

Edited by jholmes217

Agree. The winner was the 428 CJ Blue Thunder, which edged out the Streetmaster when it was rerun. However, the Blue Thunder has 428 CJ size ports, and I'm not sure how well that will match up to the 390 heads he has. If the ports are smaller on the 390 heads, the Streetmaster or Performer RPM might be a better match for a him. Something else to consider is if it will work with a shaker scoop if he has one.

5w520a: What type of hood does your Mach 1 have? Some folks with shakers have had problems with the Performer RPM as the carb sits back farther than stock, causing the shaker to hit the hood opening towards the back.

I've heard that the Performer does well with trucks and RV's though that want the higher power at low RPM for towing and stump pulling.

I had the performer 390 on my car and didn't like it but it worked good with th shaker I have. And from my under standing the RPM won't work with a shaker but is a good intake and you my be right about the 390 ports depending on what heads he has.

@ pw520a, what heads do you have on your car?

PW, the Blue Thunder intake that the guys are recommending is excellent. It will fit the shaker setups just fine, if you ever happen to get one in the future. AND the Blue Thunder intake is available in a 427MR version that has the smaller velocity style ports that most of the later FEs have. I mated this intake to the smaller port D2TE-AA heads and it worked very well. LSG

PW, the Blue Thunder intake that the guys are recommending is excellent. It will fit the shaker setups just fine, if you ever happen to get one in the future.

I've just stumbled across this thread and this here has answered some of my questions about my new car.

My car is a 428 R-code that has a Edelbrock power package in it and I have the shaker issue with it sitting poorly. I had heard this was due to the Performer RPM intake and now I know for sure.

Question is how will a Blue Thunder intake go with the Edelbrock performer RPM heads, 7106 cam and 800CFM carb?

I've only had this car for a short time, have never owned an FE before and have only driven it fro about 20 minutes total.

Thanks for your help!

PW, the Blue Thunder intake that the guys are recommending is excellent. It will fit the shaker setups just fine, if you ever happen to get one in the future.

I've just stumbled across this thread and this here has answered some of my questions about my new car.

My car is a 428 R-code that has a Edelbrock power package in it and I have the shaker issue with it sitting poorly. I had heard this was due to the Performer RPM intake and now I know for sure.

Question is how will a Blue Thunder intake go with the Edelbrock performer RPM heads, 7106 cam and 800CFM carb?

I've only had this car for a short time, have never owned an FE before and have only driven it fro about 20 minutes total.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

I know the Blue Thunder 428 CJ intake comes port matched to stock 428 CJ heads. Not sure how well it will match up to the Eddy heads. You could get a good idea by putting an intake manifold gasket up to both, but then you would have to own or have access to the Blue Thunder intake.

I don't know about your cam. Who makes it? Unless you have an all out drag race car that would do better with a single plane intake, performance wise the Blue Thunder is very comparable to the Eddy Performer RPM.

800 cfm may be too much carb for your car, depending on what other mods you've done to the engine, especially if the car is an automatic and your carb is a double pumper. What do your spark plugs look like when you pull them? (ya, I know it's a chore doing plug changes on these cars!)

Some of the other guys on this forum may have different views, but this is my opinion.

Edited by jholmes217

Thanks for your help!

I know the Blue Thunder 428 CJ intake comes port matched to stock 428 CJ heads. Not sure how well it will match up to the Eddy heads. You could get a good idea by putting an intake manifold gasket up to both, but then you would have to own or have access to the Blue Thunder intake.

I don't know about your cam. Who makes it? Unless you have an all out drag race car that would do better with a single plane intake, performance wise the Blue Thunder is very comparable to the Eddy Performer RPM.

800 cfm may be too much carb for your car, depending on what other mods you've done to the engine, especially if the car is an automatic and your carb is a double pumper. What do your spark plugs look like when you pull them? (ya, I know it's a chore doing plug changes on these cars!)

Some of the other guys on this forum may have different views, but this is my opinion.

Edited by jholmes217

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have given more info. My car is a 4 speed with 3.91 diff gears. The cam is the matching Edelbrock cam and the carb is also Edelbrock.

I haven't driven it enough to have the plugs out. I haven't driven it really at all since I got it to Aus. I drove it for about 15 minutes or so in Louisiana and only on/off my car trailer and up the driveway here at home. It needed some mechanical attention which today I found this surprise.

P8150207.jpg

But what I am hoping that is due to is having the wrong pushrods and rockers. They were in there as it broke a rocker shaft the day before it left Louisiana so we needed to get it going to drive on/off the truck so standard stuff went back in.

Unfortunately I don't have access either to anyone with a Blue Thunder intake. I don't even know anyone with another FE engine. I only personally know of one other person with a Mustang but he has a Windsor in his.

Not even sure where to get a Blue Thunder intake from, still researching that one.

Thanks again fro the advice!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have given more info. My car is a 4 speed with 3.91 diff gears. The cam is the matching Edelbrock cam and the carb is also Edelbrock.

I haven't driven it enough to have the plugs out. I haven't driven it really at all since I got it to Aus. I drove it for about 15 minutes or so in Louisiana and only on/off my car trailer and up the driveway here at home. It needed some mechanical attention which today I found this surprise.

P8150207.jpg

But what I am hoping that is due to is having the wrong pushrods and rockers. They were in there as it broke a rocker shaft the day before it left Louisiana so we needed to get it going to drive on/off the truck so standard stuff went back in.

Unfortunately I don't have access either to anyone with a Blue Thunder intake. I don't even know anyone with another FE engine. I only personally know of one other person with a Mustang but he has a Windsor in his.

Not even sure where to get a Blue Thunder intake from, still researching that one.

Thanks again fro the advice!

Here's two other forums I recommend you join Ash. One is for Ford FE engines http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/, and the other is the 428 Cobra Jet Mustang Registry http://www.428cobrajet.org There are folks on both of those forums from Australia. That should hopefully give you some local contacts to talk to about our cars and engines.

Edited by jholmes217

Here's two other forums I recommend you join Ash. One is for Ford FE engines http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/, and the other is the 428 Cobra Jet Mustang Registry http://www.428cobrajet.org There are folks on both of those forums from Australia. That should hopefully give you some local contacts to talk to about our cars and engines.

Edited by jholmes217

Great, thank you for that! I'll jump on and have a look around.

I have been able to get some FE advice from some other Aussies from our local forum but I haven't found anyone else with a similar set-up The few guys that do have similar cars, most have 390's, non-shaker bonnets or their cars are in stock form.

Great, thank you for that! I'll jump on and have a look around.

I have been able to get some FE advice from some other Aussies from our local forum but I haven't found anyone else with a similar set-up The few guys that do have similar cars, most have 390's, non-shaker bonnets or their cars are in stock form.