Sign in to follow this  
clay37355

Ford 9inch Rear End Out Of a 78 F150

On a whim today I bought a 9in rear end in hopes of putting it in my 69. The guy said it came out of a 78 F150. It looked and turned good. He told me it was the big bearing and 31 spline. Also when i turn one hub the other one turns the same direction. I believe that means that it is a limited slip??? It was just $100 so i thought why not. I have not measured it yet , but when i got home I started looking up the length. I found a chart that said the 78 F150 trucks were 65.25 wide. I guess that's what i get for buying something without researching it. Can this buy be salvaged? Any Idea of how much it costs to have the rear ends narrowed? The rear also has the bigger wheel bolt pattern. I believe its 5 x5.5. I was planning on using Wheel adapters. But now that I have to get it cut down , Should I go ahead and buy the proper wheel bolt pattern axles and have them cut to fit the housing? I also assume I am going to have to move the spring perches. Should I sink the money into this one or look around for a better fitting 9in?

The traction lock 31 spline pumpkin alone is worth much more than $100. Just pop it in a stock dimension housing and add 31 spline axles. I'd be willing to bet it also has a decent ratio, likely 3.50s.

This^.

Keep the center section and ditch the rest. I assume you have an 8" in there now, so find a 9" housing and bolt this in, if it's a posi.

If it's not a posi, sell it for profit and buy the correct unit for your car. There are still common enough where you don't need to mess with narrowing and remounting spring perches and wheel adapters and all that crap. Waaay too much work.

I'd check with a local shop to see what they'd want to narrow the housing. Its really not that difficult to do really. Look into custom length Superior or Alloy brand axles from Summit Racing. I'm pretty sure you can get a pair of axles at your specified length for about $250.

Im running a rear out of a 70s mustang, and when i mounted my friends Eleanor wheels from his 69 which fit well and tucked into the fender wells, they stuck out 3/4" on each side of my car....this is due to the wider housing length, also if i recall the truck rear ends have the center section actually center of the housing, not offset like passanger cars....like everyone said, ditch the housing for scrap, and keep the Diff....if you want to get it rebuilt, and it is a Posi buy the rebuild kit and send it to me, ill do it free of charge you just pay for the stuff and the shipping to and fro.

I dont do rear ends for a living, but have done a bunch of Chevy 8.5's and did my 9", which works fine, but want some more practice, thats why im offering to do yours for free :P I have all the propper tools to press bearings on and check and set all the clearances Etc... and heck you cant beat FREE :P So send me that center section :P If you could find another 31 Spline posi i would like to get my hands on that :) I have a 28 spline unit in my car :(

Mike