Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Anyone know where I can get this fuse?

Are you sure it's a 125 vdc fuse or 12 vdc fuse? Is for a stereo system or what? what does the 3 amp fuse power?

It says 125v on it, so maybe the wrong fuse was in there to begin with, but it's the small one thats about a half inch long. I'm not sure what it powers, I'll see if I can find that info.

You can get the 4 amp fuses from any auto parts store.

That's what someone else just told me. I feel like an idiot, I went to 3 or 4 places and no one had it. Wonder if it was because I was looking for the 3amp 125v thing...

Thanks everyone, I'll take a trip out this weekend.

You can fuse it 4 amps or under fuse like 3,2,1 but never over fuse it. All fuses in your mustang should be 12 vdc unless you have a aftermarket device.

I'll keep that in mind, whoever I got it from must have messed with it and put the wrong stuff in. The fuse box was actually bused out on the side so a 20 amp fuse would fit in the 14 amp slot haha. Been like that the 8+ years I've owned her, just noticed it. I'm replacing all the wiring now anyway just because, so all should be well now; I'll get all the right stuff in there.

Hey 1BAD351

yeah, you got the wrong fuse there, that 125v 3amp fuses are designed for things like christmas light strings, not 12v systems like our stangs. Good to hear you figured it out. Luckly that nothing happened with that thing in there.

Hey 1BAD351

yeah, you got the wrong fuse there, that 125v 3amp fuses are designed for things like christmas light strings, not 12v systems like our stangs. Good to hear you figured it out. Luckly that nothing happened with that thing in there.

Nothing's toasted that I know of. I'm replacing the wiring just because, nothing was wrong, it was just old.

But what's the difference between an AC and DC fuse? By the way you're talking it sounds like the 4 amp DC fuse would burn up before the 3 amp AC fuse.

You need either the AGC or SFE fuses depending on application. They are typically made by BUSS. You should be able to find them at just about any automotive parts house. They have not been used in OEM applications for many years now being fased out in favor of the flat ATC type fuses.

Voltage is not so much the issue as is the AMP or current rating. Like others have said, don't use a fuse with a higher AMP rating or you might just see old smokie coming out from under your dash. Bruce

You need either the AGC or SFE fuses depending on application. They are typically made by BUSS. You should be able to find them at just about any automotive parts house. They have not been used in OEM applications for many years now being fased out in favor of the flat ATC type fuses.

Voltage is not so much the issue as is the AMP or current rating. Like others have said, don't use a fuse with a higher AMP rating or you might just see old smokie coming out from under your dash. Bruce

So I'm not crazy then. I can't find a 12vdc fuse with a 4 amp rating for the life of me. I found a 3 amp 125 V AC fuse at autozone/advance is that the one I need?

Okay here's some more info.

Both the SFE and AGC are glass fuses with a meltable link within the glass.

The SFE fuses all measure 1/4" in diameter. The length is determined by the amperage rating, which varies from 5/8" in length (4 amp.) to 1 7/16" in length (30 amp). The SFE fuse is also designated as "size rejecting" because the size differences are related to the amperage rating and tends to prevent interchanging different amperage ratings.

The AGC fuse measures 1 1/4" in length and the diameter is 1/4" for all amperage ratings.

If you google SFE-4 you can find suppliers on the net. Grainger, Crutchfield, Amazon, The Find, and Littlefuse are a few.

Bruce