Sign in to follow this  
Rewind351

Dash pad question

Not really a tech question but the garage forum isn't working for me. Has anyone had experience with buying a replacement dash pad? The following link is for one on eBay that is significantly cheaper than what I'm seeing elsewhere and claims to be a ford tooling part. Figured I would ask for opinions before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-70-MUSTANG-DASH-PAD-OEM-FORD-TOOLING-AIR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a07031f01QQitemZ180506271489QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2691wt_722

Not really a tech question but the garage forum isn't working for me. Has anyone had experience with buying a replacement dash pad? The following link is for one on eBay that is significantly cheaper than what I'm seeing elsewhere and claims to be a ford tooling part. Figured I would ask for opinions before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-70-MUSTANG-DASH-PAD-OEM-FORD-TOOLING-AIR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a07031f01QQitemZ180506271489QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2691wt_722

I looked at some of there stuff at the columbis ohio all ford swap they had some nice quality stuff

I've bought stuff from him in Columbus and his quality is on par with any of the bigger outfits. He's been at the Columbus swaps for years. I'm guessing he's just trying to move some old inventory so he's offering a good deal. I'd go for it.

I looked at some of there stuff at the columbis ohio all ford swap they had some nice quality stuff

I've bought stuff from him in Columbus and his quality is on par with any of the bigger outfits. He's been at the Columbus swaps for years. I'm guessing he's just trying to move some old inventory so he's offering a good deal. I'd go for it.

Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and order it this week.

That's the rub with aftermarket mustang replacement parts. On one hand, there is a lot of junk out there, and you worry that an ebay seller might be less than honest about the quality of their parts. On the other hand, this dash, like many replacement parts, probably all came from one source, so saving money would be a good thing.

This was the biggest difficulty in restoring my car. Trying to determine where I could buy price because that particular part was the same everywhere, or buy quality, because there are multiple sources and you get what you pay for.

I got it right in some cases, and horribly wrong in others.

That's the rub with aftermarket mustang replacement parts. On one hand, there is a lot of junk out there, and you worry that an ebay seller might be less than honest about the quality of their parts. On the other hand, this dash, like many replacement parts, probably all came from one source, so saving money would be a good thing.

This was the biggest difficulty in restoring my car. Trying to determine where I could buy price because that particular part was the same everywhere, or buy quality, because there are multiple sources and you get what you pay for.

Amen, and I probably should refrain from telling people where to spend their money for just that reason.

You could always call first and ask him about the details just to be sure. Since you're both in KY, maybe you could pick it up and save the shipping. Just a thought.

You could always call first and ask him about the details just to be sure. Since you're both in KY, maybe you could pick it up and save the shipping. Just a thought.

Oh I'm not in KY. Im near Houston and John's Mustangs just down the street from work wants $389 plus tax but they would match other prices but prolly not an ebay auction.

I've been out of the classic car "game" for a while now so, I'm really nervous about buying parts. For one, the market seems very different than it did eight years ago when I was really looking. I have to reteach myself all of the details again and that's why I'm here.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion on fitment on most of the repro stuff nowadays. I will always try to buy NOS or Ford Tooling when available, but just from some catalog glances, Im seeing things like the front and rear valances in only repro. How well are these kind of parts fitting nowadays?

Edit: I did read this thread. Sounds like a nightmare for me. Sheesh

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6368&highlight=fitment

Edited by Rewind351

Oh I'm not in KY. Im near Houston and John's Mustangs just down the street from work wants $389 plus tax but they would match other prices but prolly not an ebay auction.

Sorry, I got you confused with another thread -- your sig clearly says Texas!

The repro stuff made today is generally pretty good, although you can get a dud. Like Max said, most of the stuff comes from the same places, usually China or Taiwan, so the quality can vary even from the same factory.

The few parts I've gotten that were unacceptable were always taken back graciously by the vendor.

Sheet metal seems to be the worst, soft trim and interior stuff not so bad, although the color can vary (my interior is red). For suff like radiators, starters, alternators, etc, shop around, ask questions, and read the forums and you'll end up with just what you need...

I've bought stuff from John's, if he's close enough to strike a personal relationship with, he'll probably make sure you get good stuff, although he's a bit higher priced than a lot of places.

FWIW, I bought my dash pad from California Mustang 100 years ago and it's great.

Edited by 69RavenConv

My body shop specializes in making repro panels fit. They did a great job on mine.

My biggest frustration was with interior panels. Hell, all the panels in the fold down area came with different texture pebble molded in. They look like crap because they don't match. And fit sucked too. Not much you can do there.