Sign in to follow this  
specialfinds

do i have to change valve covers to go roller

I converted my 302 to a Comp Cams roller setup (cam, lifters and rockers) and it all fit under the stock stamped steel valve covers. I used the Magnum roller-tip rockers, not full-out rollers, which I think are fine for my ~300hp build. I would think they would fit the same on your Windsor. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/3598slg

in general the rocker studs/locks are what hit the valve covers. it's worse if you run a stud girdle.

roller or flat tappet doesn't matter. how aggressive either is coupled with the rest of the valvetrain does influence the fit under the valve cover.

valve covers for 302/351w heads are the same.

do an search for valve cover spacer and you will find them many places. i have a pair ordered from Summit.

I like the Harland Sharp brand rockers, they are tough as nails and have never let me down, and you can tell a diff in the way the engine revs when going from magnum roller tip to a full roller like the harland sharps. They are a bit lighter too, the HS rockers always come in at a higher ratio than advertised...a 1.6 will come in around 1.65 which will give you a bit mroe lift...almost like adding a slightly bigger cam. LOL

I just dont like the ornag coating they put on them, i always have the poly locks rub the paint off and it gets in the oil and you see gold metal flakes which always scares me but have to remind myself its nothing to worry about...been running HS on my engines for the past 10 years and never had a problem, my Poncho has over 100 passes at the strip and countless road miles and never had an issue....You can get hte valve cover spacers most anywhere.

Mike

Well i have had 3 sets of HS checked by a friend and they all came in larger than advertised :P

As a general rule of thumb your springs should be able to take 20% more lift than your cam will ever subject them to....Thus going with a rocker with a higher ratio should never pose you a problem...So in short if you cam has .550 lift and you buy a spring rated to .550 I would rethink the springs, as they may go into coil bind before they reach Max lift...Thats why i always opt to go to a spring that is a little more than I need.

But if they test them all and see where coil bind is and can tell you its no where near the max lift of your cam then you can add diff ratio rockers and be just fine....Hell I have done it to motors with STOCK springs and cam just ot see if it made a noticeable diff.

Mike