Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Engine Start up

Gona be attempting a start up this weekend. Got the engine and trans in the car. Just gotta mount the headers, water pump and alternator. Then the task of hooking up all the electronics and hope it all works. Im not looking to drive it, just start it and let it run a few minutes.

Im running the original point ignition system. Any tips for or things to look out for that could help me would be appreciated.

If this is a fresh rebuild and you don't have a roller cam, you will need to prime the oil pump and then when it starts keep the rpm above 3k for at least 30 minutes. If you have straight headers with no exhaust, you will get lots of visitors as you are likely to wake up the neighborhood. Fun time enjoy! Let us know how it goes.

My $.02: take your time with the electronics and be sure of your connections before you hook up your battery and turn that key. Perhaps you are totally comfortable with this part of the process, but I wound up taking LOTS of pictures when we pulled the boys motor a couple years ago and eventually bought a parts car to have as a working model for reassembly. Between those two, reassembly was a breeze.

Good luck and wear your headphones if you have no exhaust yet. Hearing loss is cumulative. I would know. :)

Tom

Gona be attempting a start up this weekend. Got the engine and trans in the car. Just gotta mount the headers, water pump and alternator. Then the task of hooking up all the electronics and hope it all works. Im not looking to drive it, just start it and let it run a few minutes.

Im running the original point ignition system. Any tips for or things to look out for that could help me would be appreciated.

1. Check over all hose clamps and elec connections.

2. fill rad with water only leaving level approx 1in below neck bottom and have heat control lever open to hot side. (allows coolant to flow thru core and remove air) Leave cap off so you can add coolant as thermo opens and allow trapped air out, cap after thermo is completely open and coolant is flowing freely.

3. As your using points, preset your timing. With point gap preset,Use a vlt/ohm meter, rotate crank so #1 is on compression stroke and timing mark is at 8-10 btdc on the balancer. with meter set at ohms, hook one lead to dist lead and one lead to grnd. slowly turn dist till meter goes to 0 and lock dist hold down bolt.

4. With flat tappet cam a break in is required.

Set idle screw 2-3 turns in so idle speeds is above 1500 on start up.

Use idle speed screw to vary engine speeds from 1500-2500 every few minutes for 30 minutes while watching for leaks in coolant/fuel/oil.

5. after cam break in run, Turn idle down to 800-1000 and shutdown, allow it to cool down and retork header bolts and recheck Valve cover,oil pan, intake,ect bolts for tightness.

6. Wave at neighbors that have wandered out to see where the noise was coming from.:tongue: