Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Side Exit exhaust system

Im gona be building the exhaust system for my car soon I wanted peoples opinion on a straight side exit exhaust?

Is there any dangers to straignt piping the exhaust and then having one bend to go out the side of the car?

Will there be enough back pressure?

Or should i throw a muffler or glass pack on?

We did this back in the 70's with glass packs or cherry bombs. The only real danger is burning your leg on the pipes as you get in or out. Horribly loud in the passenger compartment, I wouldn't do it today unless a full-out race car.

Dave, some of us aren't really sure what you're thinking here.......side exits are okay, many folks don't like the sound in that location, and many burn their shins, but its your car and your legs, so its your risk to take. But what about the back pressure ? You realize the ideal 'backpressure' is none, right ? If someone told you you had to be sure to have enough, they are mistaken. The less back pressure the better. If you are going from a restrictive system to a very open one, you may well have to adjust the carb to deal with the greater ability of your engine to breath. LSG

I think he's talking about only having a pipe exiting in front of the rear wheel, not running the length of the rocker panel then dumping like a Shelby Cobra.

Dave- You may want to consider running an X pipe then going out of the car that way. I don't have any tech on it, but I think having a crossover of some sort helps if you're running straight pipes. Plus exiting at an angle looks better than just going straight out the side in my opinion.

the side exit will be tucked under the body near the rear wheel wells, burning myself shouldnt b an issue.

Back in the day it was illegal for the exhaust to exit under the vehicle (carbon monoxide risk). Kids running straight glass packs would get cited, so we had to add the 45 degree pipes to exit in front of the rear tires. You might want to check your local laws if this is going to be on the street.

I'd run cherry bombs or something similar in shape (remember Thrush?) alongside the driveshaft, then turn at like 75 degrees and exit just in front of the rear tire. If you drive with the windows down, alongside those concrete construction barriers or down an alley you'll be deaf real quick even with that setup... I had this on my Fox body for the economy exhaust for the first couple of summers after I built it.

I know Vermont has a crazy law about the exhaust having to exit 8"? or more (or something like that) past the last opening window. On my Fox the rear side windows didnt open so mine was fine, but on say a 65-68 Mustang you had to take the crank handles off, lol. I always wondered how the hell an old station wagon passed? :001_huh:

Thrush was just an oversized tin tube. Real Ticket makers.

I ran a pair of 30" glasspacks with 22 degree bends cut on a slant just in front of the rear tires.

Simi quiet when just motoring around the block driving,(but not next to a wall) And a Howler when you put your foot in it!

What engine is in your 69? I had mine done 6 months ago when I switched to 4v heads for a temp exhaust. I have factory 4v manifolds with an h-pipe and thrush glasspacks exiting infront of the rear wheels. It sounds realllly good, especially when passing along other cars. My car is in the shop getting the c-6 replaced with a tko trans and I will not be re-using the exhaust. If you have a 351c 4v, let me know, I can make you a heck of a deal.

a buddy told me he fried piston rings in his old chevy 350 cause he had side exits. So i just wanted to make sure it was Ok before I did it and then had a problem in the future.

I wouldn't listen to your buddy. The trouble with his rings were due to other reasons. I've done same as fordrevhead before.

is this the kind of exit you are looking for? Also please ignore the terrible rust I havnt got around to doing the quarter panel patches

that's side exit but after the tire...through the leaf springs, you still have to deal with the axle... most people do side because you can DIY it cheaply in the driveway.

and...lack of backpressure wont cook a ring or piston. After two years I ended up breaking a piston skirt with the side exhaust but it was from high revving, donuts and a bit too much alcohol :surrender:... oh to be young again. I didnt just give myself the nickname revhead ya know :001_huh:, lol. I'm still a revhead I just build them better now! :whistling:

I ran the "Shelby" side exit exhaust from Tony Branda on my 65 fastback and loved it other than the noise in the car at highway speeds. It came out in front of the tire and was bolted to the front spring perch. I'm going to run a similar exhaust on my 69, but a better, quieter muffler. Back pressure won't be a problem at all.

I've been racing for years and everyone who says no back pressure is best is DEAD WRONG! You will loose bottem end torque but gain top end horsepower. Sometimes you won't make enough up top to compensate for the bottom end loss. My experiences are on the track drag racing not on a dyno. Most times after making a pass and then bolting the exhaust back on the car would run faster. This is also considering that you have a free flowing exhaust. A restrictive exhaust will probably gain with straight pipes but it may not be as good as a set of free flowing mufflers. Just my opinion but glasspacks, cherry bombs, thrush, etc. all have a poppy sound and sound like :shit:!!! To me they definately don't have the muscle car sound you want.