Sign in to follow this  
newtothecarscene

need help!

hello im new to this site and the whole car scene and I need help. ok so today after i got off work i spotted a pretty beat up old mustang and went to have a look at it. I dont know enough about classics to even remotely know what i should offer the guy. so i pulled the vin number and ran it and found it was a 69 hard top but no idea what size engine. its pretty beat up needs a total overhaul. im pretty sure the guy is as clueless as I am as to what its real value is...money is no object but i do not wanna over pay but ive always wanted a classic mustang...if anyone can help me i have tons of questions..and i have some photos if that would help any

Edited by newtothecarscene

You've come to the right place, welcome. Hardtops (coupes) don't command a premium price, generally. It's probably a 302 V8 or a 6-cylinder, meaning I wouldn't offer more than a grand or two since it sounds like it needs a lot of work. However, if it's got a big block or a GT package, or something nice like a 9" rear end or 4-speed, it could be worth more. Post some pics or the VIN and the guys here will steer you right.

If you wind up buying this car, you'll find this forum to be a fountain (nay, a volcano) of information, tips, and assistance.

Aside from the VIN (which it sounds like you have), you really need the door tag codes stamped into a little rectangular tag on the driver's side door. If this car has been repainted, it may be really hard to read but do your best. Write down ALL the codes as they tell the story of your car (body style, motor, original color, interior, transmission, axle ratio, etc.).

Post the codes here and someone can decode it for you lickity-split. If you can provide some pictures, even better.

Raven has it right on price range, but the real key is rust. You can spend thousands and thousands to get a rust mobile in good shape. Best to start with a healthy car if you have the option.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tom

. . . the real key is rust. You can spend thousands and thousands to get a rust mobile in good shape. Best to start with a healthy car if you have the option.

Tom gave you about the best bit of advice you could get. It’s far better over-pay out of the gate for a healthy vehicle then get a screaming low price deal on what turns out to be a Rustang.

The only possible exception would be for a rare car like a Boss or low production big block. But as we’re talking a coupe, be patient and await the right candidate. Take it from me, the right car is out there, and you won’t regret the wait.

Cheers,

Tony

I'm by no means an expert, but since it is a hardtop (which I assume means a coupe, not a fastback), the chances of it being a wolf in sheeps clothing (Boss, SCJ, etc.) are pretty minimal. So you are really left with determining how much work it will take to put it into shape that you are proud to drive. As Tom rightly pointed out, if you have rust (check the floorpans, bottom of the doors, and inside the engine compartment) you are looking at thousands of dollars/dozens of hours of your own time to fix those. If you aren't comfortable with welding and bodywork, you can easily spend in rust repair more than what you can sell the car for once fixed.

The best advice I got was to buy the cleanest, nicest car I could afford, even if it seemed too much. I thought I did that, and bought a rust-free SoCal convertible that seemed to be in great shape. But, since then, I've replaced the transmission, carb, interior bits, hoses, belts, etc. Still have the entire steering to replace before I can rest...

So, I think most on this board would readily encourage you to join the club and buy a classic Mustang - it is incredibly rewarding, both in the driving and in the garage work. But do so with your eyes open. It is an expensive hobby, either because you pay for parts and labor, or because you pay with your own time. But, it's worth it!

Well said Jurisd.

If you really are “new to the car scene” as your handle suggests, then you probably should consider finding as complete a car as possible. Of course, this will mean that your initial costs will be higher, but it could save you a bundle in the long run. And getting into a project on an old car without and prior experience, or tools!, can be daunting.

But the hobby is definitely very rewarding in many respects. There’s the feeling of accomplishment at reaching goals with the project, meeting many great people along the way, and the simple exhilaration of driving a classic vehicle. As someone here once wrote, the ’69/70 mustangs “have a soul” all their own, a comment that many here can relate to. I certainly can. They are special cars. But as Jurisd cautioned, go in with your eyes open. Don’t rush in. Before and after buying post any and all questions for the experts here, as you have started to do. You’re in good company. There is wisdom in the counsel of many!

Regards,

Tony

ok so i would like to thank everyone yall have been a huuuge help! ok well i have the vin as i had already explained and i wrote down all the other numbers below the vin on the inside of the drivers side door while i was doing so i forgot to mention...i had my dad run the numbers cuz he knows quite a bit more bout internet researching and he sent me a decoding site and i discovered it was a 69 2 door hardtop as i had suspected, it has a 302 2v v8, which was a bit of a disapointment on that aspect i was hopeing it was going to be a 289...its original paint color was candy apple red...its now an orange color cuz its been sitting for so long...but no matter i will post the specs and let yall tell me if i am correct...vin # 9R01F107753...and these are the numbers under the vin i couldnt make out what it said under each set of numbers because of the wear on it ne way here they are...65A...T..2D..03K..75..3..1

From a cool mustang decoder site:

Warranty Number: 9R01F107753

Year: 9 1969

Plant: R San Jose, CA

Body Series: 01 2 Door Hardtop

Engine: F 302 2v V8

Unit: 107753 107753

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior

Color: T Candyapple Red

Trim: 2D Dark Red Vinyl and Dark Red Kiwi Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 03K October 03, 1968

D.S.O: 75 Phoenix

Axle: 3 2.79:1, Conventional

Trans: 1 3-Speed Manual

The 69's did not offer a 289 so you'd have to go 68 or older to get that motor. Does it still have the 3-speed manual? At least it's a Cali car so it may not be a total rust disaster depending on where it spend most of its days.

The pics are visible but pretty tiny. Hard to get a good feel. Are these phone pics? A real camera and closer up. I'd get photos of the interior, inside the engine compartment, trunk, floor pans, etc. I realize this is sitting in a field so expectations are pretty low, but the guys have already mentioned the common rust areas. I'd get pictures of these if you can.

Tom

Edited by foothilltom
I blathered on about how to add pics and he already did!

yeah these are just pics off my phone i got after i got off work before it got dark i didnt have time to run home and get my real camera...and yes it still has the 3 speed manual thank god i looked on the inside to make sure it was manual because if im going to buy a muscle car especially a classic in my opinion it has to be manual cuz there is nothing like the feel of having that big engine under your control but before i get all riled up ill stop... i will take some more pics with a real camera...and i live in west texas we dont get much rain here so im hopeing the rust isnt too bad

Looks like it has potential. Mine was originally a 302 2V 3 speed manual car and came from Texas.

Is the roof caved in? Maybe...bit hard to tell...That could be expensive...

yeah i believe it has a lot of potential if the owner is willing to sell it to me...i live in a small town of about 1000 ppl so everyone knows everyone and ive been told its been sittin there for 14 yrs since the original owner passed...but no the roof is fine...i want it so bad ever since i was a kid ive wanted one of these classic mustangs and there is another classic in town just sitting here wasting away i was told it is a 64 1/2 which sounds to me like maybe a promotional car? no clue as to whether its worth more than the 69 guy that owns it said it was his grandfathers so im going to get vin and have yall check it out

Edited by newtothecarscene

The first generation Mustang was sold in the middle of 1964, hence the 64 1/2. I am pretty certain it was the same car in 1965 but I could be wrong. I think pound for pound, the 65-68 Mustangs command a bit more dough, but it's all personal preference.

The 69-70's were heavier, longer, beefier than their pony cousins, but they don't resonate with everyone.

Assuming your potential 69 is relatively rust-free (there's always some), you've still got some work cut out for you base on the images alone. But like someone has already said, this is why we do this: for the challenge. Any doofus with money can buy a restored muscle car. Very few can turn that planter into the beauty it was meant to be.

Good luck.

Tom

The first generation Mustang was sold in the middle of 1964, hence the 64 1/2. I am pretty certain it was the same car in 1965 but I could be wrong. I think pound for pound, the 65-68 Mustangs command a bit more dough, but it's all personal preference.

The 69-70's were heavier, longer, beefier than their pony cousins, but they don't resonate with everyone.

Assuming your potential 69 is relatively rust-free (there's always some), you've still got some work cut out for you base on the images alone. But like someone has already said, this is why we do this: for the challenge. Any doofus with money can buy a restored muscle car. Very few can turn that planter into the beauty it was meant to be.

Good luck.

Tom

i agree i have enough money to go out and just buy a fully restored one but wheres the fun in that i want something i can call my own...and know i have accomplished something only a hand full of people do so to speak and but i appreciate all the help and advice man you and everyone else have been a big help ill keep yall posted on my progress