Sign in to follow this  
dlinebar

New Radiator or electric fan?

So I was driving today and the car got kinda warm. I have a new stock radiator, installed a radiator overflow, and a new waterpump. I know the originat stock radiators were marginal and have not had any issues until it starts to get warm out...which it did today.

So I was thinking about getting an electric fan to augment the normal one. When the car is moving it cools down and I think the regular fan just is not pulling enough air over the radiator when I am stopped or going slow. Yes I do have a fan shrowd installed. So the car is basically all new cooling system but still gets warm...hot...when its warm out.

So I also know there are much better radiators out there than the original stock that would help. Should I spend some money on a fan or spend some bigger bucks on an upgraded raidator?

Thoughts?

Dan

I would put on a electric fan first. It is the cheaper fix. If it does not work then you can get an aluminum Radiator and keep the electric fan. The fan I bought off ebay works great and I do not use a mechanical, so the electric does all the work.

One thing to keep in mind I am in a little cooler climate, if I was driving in a warmer area it may be different. The warmest I drove it in was the low 90's.

Go for both. Here in TX, the first thing I put in every car I buy is a new aluminum radiator with a dual SPAL fan setup.

My '69 GT has A/C and can sit in DFW traffic even in triple digit weather.

I used WaterWetter , my stang was still tending to overheat going thru drive thru's. My set up 20" stock rad wo A/C. Edelbrock waterpump . 351W , M/Trans. Flex Fan. Fan shroud. Here in Fresno, Ca tends to get in the 110 degrees in July Aug Months. Like Angel , whether water wetter works is hard to say , But I also like to think it does. I am currently considering a 24" aluminum rad stock mounting preferred, also looking into adding a 16" electric fan with fan shroud.

I also have an overheat problem when the AC is on and in slow traffic or at idle on a hot day. I have a stock everything 302, and I switched to a 7 blade fan with a clutch. I got mine at a bone yard for $15 off about a 1990 Ford Truck. Bolted right on my 302 and fixed the problem.