Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

Rear side window chrome strip

I nee the chrome strip with the weatherstrip for the rear side windows in my coupe. All I see in the catalogues to order is the weatherstrip and not the chrome. I need both. I see the chrome for the fastback but not the coupe. Will the chrome trim from a fastback fit a coupe? Or where can I find it?

Are you referring to the quarter window trim?

As a 69 Stang newbie also, I am confused on what should be there or is correct. My Coupe project car has no chrome or rubber on anything but the passenger side window. I'm not even sure what to call each window!

I've read the window tutorials on adjusting and gluing and fixing but am still unclear on which windows get what. And that's my next weekend project.

Vox, it would be real helpful to include a picture of the area in question (even if something is missing). The fellas will have no trouble identifying the part. But for what it's worth, they call the smaller window the "quarter window" (passenger or driver). The chrome drip rail runs along the top and there's a short, flat, wider piece of chrome that sits along the ridge of the window. This is held in by a one (or two) sheet metal screws. I'm pretty sure that's what you're missing.

Is this it:

[ATTACH]6499[/ATTACH]

If so, they sell them for about $70 per pair.

Are you talking about the strip and seal between the door glass & the quarter glass? Fastback pieces are not interchangable with coupes/verts. I don't know where to find both pieces for both sides but if you're not seeing it in the vendor catalogs, call them. Or call some resto shops and see where they get them from.

I am referring to the the strip and seal between the door glass & the quarter glass. Which glass gets it? The door or the quarter?

Foothilltom ~ I'll post pics when I get a chance but your reply helped my other concern!

Ah! I know what you're talking about now. That bad boy attaches to the door glass and the rubber part lays "overlaps" the quarter glass when the door is closed.

As I recall, the stainless part is a bastard to find...the weatherstrip insert I've seen in the catalogs. If memory serves, they're called a vertical window channel or something?

Tom

Edited by foothilltom

No the door glass has the chrome strip with the rubber weatherstrip but the little rear roll down window doesn't. At the car show this weekend I saw a coupe that also had the little chrome strip on that little window too with the rubber weatherstrip. This chrome strip goes on the front of the window . I never saw anyone around that coupe to talk too. There is a chrome strip with weatherstrip for the fastbacks in the parts catalogues but not the coupe.

Relic,

Hopefully this helps. I have a coupe that had one missing, and what i came up with after asking on multiple forums and calling CJ Pony is that they do not reproduce that part and the FB pieces do not fit. I found mine from someone on here that was helping me out in this matter had one lying around. I have a right side window piece, not the best shape but it covers the gap, don't know what your looking for. As far as the WX stripping goes, it rests on the rear window, the chrome attaches directly to the door window. Hope this helps your situation. If anyone is reading and knows how to properly secure this chrome strip to the side door window i would love to know.

From what I have seen the 69 has it on the door window and the 70 has it on the quarter window.

X2

I believe you can use the 70 pieces if thats all you can come up with. Also, don't forget to include 69 - 70 cougars when sourcing used parts. My door glass is 70 cougar.

If anyone is reading and knows how to properly secure this chrome strip to the side door window i would love to know.

When I replaced mine, it slid on very snugly and that's it. If it's a loose fit, you can glue it, but you shouldn't have to.

Relic1864, I am on the hunt for my coupe also! Now you got more eyes on the prize.

Wow... I found 1969-70 Mustang Shelby Fastback Vertical Channel Door Window Edge Moldings (chrome trim and rubber weatherstrips) at www.cobranda.com - but apparently it's not for a coupe. :001_huh:

Any ideas why it wouldn't fit? - it just a window.

Relic1864, I am on the hunt for my coupe also! Now you got more eyes on the prize.

Wow... I found 1969-70 Mustang Shelby Fastback Vertical Channel Door Window Edge Moldings (chrome trim and rubber weatherstrips) at www.cobranda.com - but apparently it's not for a coupe. :001_huh:

Any ideas why it wouldn't fit? - it just a window.

All fastback glass is different due to a difference in the roofline between coupes & fastbacks. The door glass and qtr glass have a different profile, they're similar but compare them side by side and you'll see it.

Foothilton...Where did you get your replacement from. I can't find them in any catalogue.

I may not have been clear before, but I was not able to find the stainless steel trim piece anywhere either. I was able to find the rubber weather-stripping part from Virginia Mustang (vamustang.com), but i'm guessing you're looking for the stainless steel piece.

I wound up buying a parts car and stole these parts from it. It sounds like there's more than one of you looking for these parts. I'll keep my eyes peeled around here.

Tom

You know with all the parts magazines out there it looks like one of these magazines would find one of their suppliers to get this part made for them. What good is the weather strip they sell for the 69 coupe if you cant put it in the stainless trim that THEY DONT SELL.

I have a spare right side channel, its in ok condition not show quality by any stretch but if handy with polishing and sanding could be used in the mean time till you find a show quality one. I can take pictures this weekend if anyone is interested.

Perusing late night Mustang catalogs - I came across this on page 233 of the Mustangs Unlimited Catalog ~

Quarter Glass Weatherstrip: Molded rubber located at the front leading edge of the rear quarter windows sealing them to the door glass (except 69/70 Fastback where the seal attaches to the rear of the door glass.( '69 Coupe & Convertible $14.95 each.

So it's chrome strip on the door glass and rubber seal on the quarter window as I read it. But still no source for the chrome strip yet.

Anyone with a nice stock 69 Coupe can chime in with a pic!

[ATTACH]6500[/ATTACH]

This is a pic of the vertical trim and weatherstrip on a 69 coupe. It attaches to the rear of the door glass. The replaceable weatherstrip overlaps the quarter glass when the door closes.

I'm fairly certain this arrangement is reversed on 70's, but I don't have one to prove that.

Does this answer your questions, Vox?

Edited by foothilltom

This is a pic of the vertical trim and weatherstrip on a 69 coupe. It attaches to the rear of the door glass. The replaceable weatherstrip overlaps the quarter glass when the door closes.

I second this configuration. I've had 3 69 coupes and all 3 were like this. The 70 cougar I got my door glass from (a friends parts car) and my friends 70 cougar had this arrangement reversed with the strip & rubber on the qtr window. I can't recall ever actually looking at a 70 mustang's configuration specifically but always saw it like the cougar.

You know with all the parts magazines out there it looks like one of these magazines would find one of their suppliers to get this part made for them. What good is the weather strip they sell for the 69 coupe if you cant put it in the stainless trim that THEY DONT SELL.

You make it sound way more simple than it is. Since this part is stainless more folks I am sure only need the weatherstrip than do both parts. There is a huge expense involved in creating the tooling to make parts like this and it either has to all be paid for up front or ammortized over X amount of pairs. So it will require a whole butt load of customers standing in line waiting to buy it at a premium price before the cost can reduce and the supplier can actually start to make some profit on it. Since they are specific to 69' and 70' models that is probably a larger number of buyers needed for each than the total number of production cars even if every single one still on the road needed it. Even the fastback version has only been reproduced again over the last few years. Look how long it took for them to reproduce the center console and the bulk of that design is not only shared between 69 and 70 but fits the same for all 3 models and pretty much every car that came with one needs it replaced and those that didn't want one too.