Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Identifying this part

Guys, am wondering if anybody knows what this part is actually called and where one might get a replacement.

[ATTACH]6350[/ATTACH]

It may be called a differential valve or a proportioning valve, but I just don't know. Mostly need to know if parts houses would carry these.

Thanks!

Tom

Yes it is a proportioning valve it helps distribute the pressure to each caliper evenly at the same time. Not many places make repops of these and if you find a repop the quality is sometimes questionable I think you would be better off rebuilding yours. Heres were you can buy a rebuild kit http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/propvlvkit.html

Also here is a link of a repop I found on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-1973-Ford-Mustang-Brake-Proportioning-Valve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56396be6e1QQitemZ370330560225QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And heres a nice OEM one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pinto-Granada-Mustang-disc-brake-proportioning-valve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e572939QQitemZ290419321145QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Edited by StephenC

Sweet, thanks for the info guys.

If I go with a replacement, I'm guessing I'll need to bend/reroute the existing brake lines? I'm crappy at that but maybe that's just one of those things I should learn how to do?

I'll probably go the rebuild route first. The main problem is the "ball switch" is stuck open (despite all attempts to balance it out) and my "Brake System" light refuses to go out.

Thanks again.

Tom

Not to split hairs but even though it is commonly reffered to as proportioning vlave it isn't because it is not manually adjustable. The correct name for the stock part is a metering block and you can just get a new warning light sensor switch for like $20 if that is all that isn't working properly.

Another thing that was not identified is if you need a manual or power brake, if using stock components. The one I provided a link for was for power brakes.

Actually, the cylinder shaped part is called the proportioning valve, used on disk brake cars. You can buy aftermarket adjustable ones many places. The rectangular block has many names, the one I use is the distrubution block. At least that's the way I understand it.