Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Anyone involved with "Vintage" Trans Am racing on here?

There are many different "vintage" racing classes. Some are heavily modified but stock to what you had back in the day. For example you can beef up the 289 that was in the 67 coupe but you couldn't replace it with a cammer engine. Some vintage race clubs require that you be 100% stock - down to manifolds, carbs and wheel sizes.... The Porsche club races I've attend require the cars to be 100% like they were in the day. So the cost there is period correct / NOS parts.

What I'm into is auto crossing which is basically build the best handling car you can and see if you can beat the other guy. There really aren't too many rules other than similar cars race similar cars.... Most of them cost in excess of 100K and run full frames, air ride or similar adjustable suspensions, big brakes, big engines, etc... Basically they are SEMA cars....

Maxum96 - that 69FB is the AirRide mule. It is some kinda beat on and it takes almost everything thrown at it. What is going on in the pic is he just came out of the turn and floored it. Between the HP and suspension - you get what you see. However, right after that picture the rear 4 link setup tore out from under the car because it was mounted with self tapping screws. Obviously, they now recommend welding it in.

Jayru - I'd contact local Mustang clubs and see if they offer or know about vintage racing in the area. From what I understand - there are several active clubs in Cali...

There are many different "vintage" racing classes. Some are heavily modified but stock to what you had back in the day. For example you can beef up the 289 that was in the 67 coupe but you couldn't replace it with a cammer engine. Some vintage race clubs require that you be 100% stock - down to manifolds, carbs and wheel sizes.... The Porsche club races I've attend require the cars to be 100% like they were in the day. So the cost there is period correct / NOS parts.

What I'm into is auto crossing which is basically build the best handling car you can and see if you can beat the other guy. There really aren't too many rules other than similar cars race similar cars.... Most of them cost in excess of 100K and run full frames, air ride or similar adjustable suspensions, big brakes, big engines, etc... Basically they are SEMA cars....

Maxum96 - that 69FB is the AirRide mule. It is some kinda beat on and it takes almost everything thrown at it. What is going on in the pic is he just came out of the turn and floored it. Between the HP and suspension - you get what you see. However, right after that picture the rear 4 link setup tore out from under the car because it was mounted with self tapping screws. Obviously, they now recommend welding it in.

Jayru - I'd contact local Mustang clubs and see if they offer or know about vintage racing in the area. From what I understand - there are several active clubs in Cali...

Coz pretty much hit it on the head. If you want to do some type of racing like Autocross, that is a whole lot less money to do than true Vintage Trans Am racing. You can Autocross with just about anything.

Here's some kick a$$ vintage racing from the inside of a 1970 Mustang.

Edited by maxum96

Coz pretty much hit it on the head. If you want to do some type of racing like Autocross, that is a whole lot less money to do than true Vintage Trans Am racing. You can Autocross with just about anything.

Here's some kick a$$ vintage racing from the inside of a 1970 Mustang.

Edited by maxum96

do vintage Trans Am racing you're probably looking at $50,000 plus to get started.

I wouldn't do it without $250,000 Insurance. There are probably all sorts of waivers for the race, but I would avoid even having a fender-bender in the parking lot.

Vintage racing sounds fun, but we know that some guys out there are too fanatical to have their cars within feet of ours. Jayru, why not do a cannonball run? Car and Driver has the One Lap, too, of course.