Sign in to follow this  
fro_drummer

Por-15???

I know from reading various posts on this website (and many others) that I need to be applying POR15 before paint. Apparently this is THE BEST struff to use. Problem is, I am not sure at which point it needs done, or if there is anything really NEED to know before purchasing or applying it?? Never used the stuff, but have heard nothing but good about it.

I know from reading various posts on this website (and many others) that I need to be applying POR15 before paint. Apparently this is THE BEST struff to use. Problem is, I am not sure at which point it needs done, or if there is anything really NEED to know before purchasing or applying it?? Never used the stuff, but have heard nothing but good about it.

I use Rustmort. It works great. I've used it for years with no problem. Clean up the worst rusted areas and apply with a brush or cheap gun (Be sure to have good ventilation !!!) Let it harden over night.

I use Rustmort. It works great. I've used it for years with no problem. Clean up the worst rusted areas and apply with a brush or cheap gun (Be sure to have good ventilation !!!) Let it harden over night.

I'm not familiar with the other products mentioned, but POR 15 contains isocyanates. If inhaled they will damage the alveoli permanently, reducing lung capacity. If you do spray it, you need to wear a good quality mask. It's best (from a safety perspective) to just brush it on.

I'm not familiar with the other products mentioned, but POR 15 contains isocyanates. If inhaled they will damage the alveoli permanently, reducing lung capacity. If you do spray it, you need to wear a good quality mask. It's best (from a safety perspective) to just brush it on.

I brushed it on the floor pans. Many of the new paints (e.g. water based paints) are going away from the high volatile chemical bases.

I'm not a paint expert, but if you spray a paint with isocyanates, you owe it to yourself to wear a good mask.

I brushed it on the floor pans. Many of the new paints (e.g. water based paints) are going away from the high volatile chemical bases.

I'm not a paint expert, but if you spray a paint with isocyanates, you owe it to yourself to wear a good mask.

Well Por 15 is about all that I have used, I tried Chassis Black and the rust encapsulator from Eastwood and both didnt really do much good, the rust encapsulator stopped the rust but it would scratch easily.

You can spray POR 15 with out reducing it also. Go to harbor freight and buy their 25 dollar pressure gun, its just a throw away guy be sure the metal is good and clean as you can get it then wipe it with some denatured alchol and run a tack cloth over it if you need to and simply pour the POR 15 into the cup and start shooting, I like to shoot it at 60psi because it makes the stuff come out looking like Glass with a super high gloss.

I would not recomend putting it on your body panels that you plan to put real automotive paint on tho, But it can be done, but you need to use the POR 15 Etching primer over the por 15 once you spray it if you do plan on putting it on the entire body and then painting over it, but if your going to paint the car soon after you apply the por 15 and its not more than 2-3 days old you can just scuff it with some 320 and put POR 15s Tie coat primer on it and hold to it.

Just bear in mind once that POR 15 is on its a royal PAIN IN THE BUTT to sand it off. I put it on my entire car after I had it sand blasted and let me tell you what i didnt even smooth the metal after the blaster was done, I blew it off and wiped it down and shot the POR 15 and it lays out so smooth and fills all the voids and rough metal surface left after blasting BUT I had to go back and scuff the entire car before I could apply my lizard skin coating or any other coatings because the stuff was so slick nothing would stick to it, there was no tooth for other paints to grab hold of.

I ended up doing some hammer and dolly work under the hood and i beat on the stuff with a hammer and dolly for 15 min and i think i knocked it off in one small place, the stuff is SICK.

Its hands down in my opinion one of the BEST rust stopping products on the market. Also if you do some research you will find out why Origional POR 15 only comes in Black and Silver. They do have other colors but its not specifically for stopping rust, they have caliper paints, actual car paints, and other stuff.

Its got something to do with the porosity of any other solid color besides black, which they use to make the silver. The other colors are more porus and thus allow the penetration of air and some moisture and will eventually rust.

Side note....If you plan to spray the stuff get a good mask. I used a decent mask with the double cartridges and I could still smell and kinda taste the stuff, and the cartriges were designed for spraying paint, so the stuff is strong, so use in a ventilated area and get a good mask.

You can also brush it on, I like to use the little cheep foam brushes you get for 25 cents they lay the stuff down smooth and its thick enough to be self leveling so you dont end up with alot of streaks. I have used a Good Purdy Brush and it does an even better job, but they are expensive.

You can wash your gun with either the POR 15 REducer or use just some laquer thinner its all the same...wear gloves and dont get that stuff in the lip of the can, or you will have to cut the can open to get the rest out once it dries, IM NOT JOKING trust me..I know hahah

Sorry for the long post

Mike