Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Advantages of MSD 6A Ignition box

Every car that I have ever installed one on it helped to clean up the idle a bit, it also helps maintain consistant juice to everything, and is a good all around addition to a good ignition system, plus you can put rev limiter pills in it....Which if you put the wrong one in by mistake will cut off the power wayyyy to early HAHAH.

Mike

It was the single best performance mod I did on my Fox body. Reliability, strong spark, easier starting, throttle response and more power. The concept is Multi-spark discharge. Along with a hotter spark it will spark again during any given power stroke to help burn the unspent fuel from the main spark and help discharge the exhaust out.

This past summer I had issues with my car starting among a few other things. The shop I took it to said a lot of my issue was the distributor and I had a bad coil. I had just installed the Ignitor II and Flame Thrower II components and was shipped a bad coil. In addition my distributor was old and just now roking right. The mechnic said the best thing to do is put MSD components in. So he installed an MSD billet distributor which runs close to $400 but it doesn't require an additional MDS box. It's all contained in the distributor. He also installed an MSD coil. Ever since she starts right up with no issues and ran better until I started experinecing other non-related motor issues.

FYI. The MSD 6A box does not have the rev. limiter in it. You have to get the 6AL box (the "L" indicates limiter) and it comes with a variety of 'pills' to set the rpm limit.

Is the rev limiter really necessary? I meen I know what it does and all but I dont really see it as that big of a deal? and also if I do get the rev limiter my car has a C4 3 speed tranny with 4.11s in the rear so it screams down the highway would the rev limiter effect that being as cutting it off at a certain RPM?

I have never bought an AL box, but a buddy of mine could have used one on his truck. Trying to solve a carb problem, the carb got stuck on WOT while he was under the hood. Couldn't shut it off quickly enough, and destroyed the motor. I have always thought the 6A boxes were a great improvement, especially using the duraspark dizzy. But next time I buy one, I will be stepping up with the extra insurance on the AL box.

I'm not sure you really need a rev. limiter if you are using an automatic ( it will automatically shift somewhere around 5500? rpms) unless you hold it in gear to shift it, even then ??????? If you are using a manual and if you miss a gear when you have your foot in it, it will rpm very quickly and a rev. limiter could save you a lot of money.

A rev limiter is not a necessity for an engine driven on the street. With that said, I don't think there is a vehicle made today (car or motorcycle) that doesn't have a built in rev limiter in the ignition system. If you ever had a throttle stick open this might save your motor as the previous poster mentioned.

Actually, a rev limiter is a welcome addition if you make enough horsepower on the street. I can run through all three gears in a burnout, so if I am holding it in a particular gear it can easily exceed 6500 rpm. I have a 6000 pill just in case.

Many say a box is overkill unless you have a blower or nitrous, but for Fords, the boxes are nice in that they take the resisted coil feed and convert it to 12v, as well as all the other benefits. I got one for free so I am running it. Not sure if I would run one if I had to pay for it.