Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Seat Belt warning light stays on

Hey gents, it's been a work-on-the-car Saturday and as usual, I'm taking one step forward and at least one step backwards.

I replaced my original headlamp switch this morning as my interior lights often wouldn't illuminate unless I "jiggered" the switch handle. I suspected the switch had had enough.

The new switch works great in that it solved the interior light problem. Everything works, but...

My "Seat Belt" idiot light now comes on and stays on in the 1st and 2nd light switch position. It does not illuminate at all with the switch off.

I don't believe it EVER came on before replacing the switch.

I thought this was a "courtesy" light is supposed to go out after some time (through a relay). Is this correct?

The light switch is brand new and the connector fit perfectly. Am wondering if anybody has any thoughts.

Thanks!

Tom

All it is a timer relay located under the dash and sounds like it burt out. I assume you have a in-dash lamp for this, you have a factory tach.....right. On non-tach cars the lamp is by the key switch. Its either a burnt out relay or it wired wrong and you say there are no wiring changes. Should be mounted just above the fuse box or in that area......it's a small rectangular cube about a inch and a half by half inch long.

Looks like this.....

!BkN6V1gBWk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEsn-2BmjzBLWo9Ilulw~~_12.JPG

Here is a picture of the option in a tach car....non tach is different....

11-13.JPG

Accessory post from your fuse block(not on all cars....just ones with options)

!BkP4wCw!mk~$(KGrHqEH-D0Es9S)hcy1BLWz,,H-7g~~_12.JPG.......

Used Relay.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-70-COUGAR-MUSTANG-SEAT-BELT-WARNING-LIGHT-RELAY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59884ebdQQitemZ130351124157QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

NOS which I'd recommend......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68-69-70-MUSTANG-COUGAR-GALAXIE-XR7-SEAT-BELT-RELAY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df8df62cQQitemZ360232908332QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hey Trinity, thanks for the great info. I'm going to go crawl around again and see if I can find this relay before the Uber-Bowl. To clarify, my SEAT BELTS lamp is "in dash" and is just opposite the "Brake System" red light in the gas/temp pod. I'll take a picture.

And my car is a NON-TACH car, so I'm trying to figure out if this squares with the location of the Seat Belts light.

Anyway, I'll go take a closer look, but if you can clarify where the relay should be located in a non-tach car, that would be awesome.

Happy Sunday.

Tom

[ATTACH]6080[/ATTACH]

I'm backwards...... it's a non-tach car that has the light in dash...yep.....my bad I'm backwards........it's in the gauge in a non-tach car like yours.....and by the key in a tach car.....my bad.

The relay is mounted up by the fuse block somewhere. I don't have this option so I can't look but IIRC from the few I've pulled in the yard it was up by the fuse block. just look for big purple wires......

Just curious since I don't have all these fancy schmancy state of the art do dads in my car but is it supposed to go out once the driver seat belt is fastened? Sounds too high tech for 69' compared to a timed out thing but I was just wondering.

Yep, just a relay that is timed. I have the tach version ($$$$) but cannot remember where it is mounted. For some reason I keep thinking it is mounted to the turn signal flasher holder/bracket mounted to the lower dash behind the ignition switch/lighter.

I've been in that oh-so-sweet lay-on-your-back and crane-your-neck under the dash position quite a bit over the weekend and never did find this relay. It surely wasn't near the fuse panel, but it's a little harder to see under the dash. I might remove my driver's seat and go at this in a serious way.

Am starting to wonder if the PO's managed to remove this somehow (betraying my earlier comment about no modifications to the wiring).

The strangest thing is that none of my manuals (the Ford Shop manuals included) make any specific mention of this circuit.

Too bad someone doesn't have a scan of the Osbourne assembly manual for the underdash wiring section. I have a copy somewhere..........and who knows what folder on the computer I stuck it in :(

My only other suggestion is to get on your back and find the wiring plug on the back of the fuel/temp guage and follow it to the end.

I've been in that oh-so-sweet lay-on-your-back and crane-your-neck under the dash position quite a bit over the weekend and never did find this relay. It surely wasn't near the fuse panel, but it's a little harder to see under the dash. I might remove my driver's seat and go at this in a serious way.

Am starting to wonder if the PO's managed to remove this somehow (betraying my earlier comment about no modifications to the wiring).

The strangest thing is that none of my manuals (the Ford Shop manuals included) make any specific mention of this circuit.

IIRC, the relay you are looking for is located behind the driverside kick panel area above the parking brake.