Sign in to follow this  
Wade

using PDF manuals, anyone else hate them?

I just received a 5 volume shop manual and a "1965-1972 Ford Car Masters Parts and Accessory Catalog" in the mail today. Both are in PDF format on CD's. I thought it would be great to look up what I need at the time and print off the page or two I need.

I find it cumbersome to navigate, it keeps crashing my Adobe reader - which is the latest version and I'm using vista ultimate. So it isn't a problem with my computer it is the software. They have it encrypted which I didn't realize when I purchased it, they encryption only allows you to use it on the installed computer with the current operating system. If I upgrade to windows 7 I lose the ability to use the software and have to buy it again. Or if I buy a new computer I need to buy new manuals.

I don't like this ebook digital stuff. I like good ole BOOKS. you know the paper kind, the ones you can turn the corners of pages over to mark your place. You can flip through them easy to find what you need. You can carry it to the car and get your greasy fingerprints all over it. Nothing beats the real thing, I definitely do not like the virtual stuff.

Anyone know the best place to get a good price on the above mentioned manuals?

Wade

I just received a 5 volume shop manual and a "1965-1972 Ford Car Masters Parts and Accessory Catalog" in the mail today. Both are in PDF format on CD's. I thought it would be great to look up what I need at the time and print off the page or two I need.

I find it cumbersome to navigate, it keeps crashing my Adobe reader - which is the latest version and I'm using vista ultimate. So it isn't a problem with my computer it is the software. They have it encrypted which I didn't realize when I purchased it, they encryption only allows you to use it on the installed computer with the current operating system. If I upgrade to windows 7 I lose the ability to use the software and have to buy it again. Or if I buy a new computer I need to buy new manuals.

I don't like this ebook digital stuff. I like good ole BOOKS. you know the paper kind, the ones you can turn the corners of pages over to mark your place. You can flip through them easy to find what you need. You can carry it to the car and get your greasy fingerprints all over it. Nothing beats the real thing, I definitely do not like the virtual stuff.

Anyone know the best place to get a good price on the above mentioned manuals?

Wade

I don't have the manuals in electronic form but I have others in pdf and like them except when they put all the security on them. I can understand some security so the file can't be altered but to restrict its usage is too much. You paid for the CD why should they care where you use it? If you want to take it over to a friends house and pull up a page to help him out, what's the big deal?

I have the shop manuals in PDF format, although they may not be the same as yours. I kind of like them this way because like you mentioned you can just print the pages you want, and if you are looking for something specific you can search based on a key word/words.

The issue you are talking about isn't the encryption but license protection. I'm not sure how they can prevent you from using loading them on different machines as long as you have the license. Federal law copyright laws allow you to you have one back up copy of any software you purchase as long as you purchased it legitimately and have obtained the proper license. If you call the company and explain to them that you are upgrading to Windows 7 or buying another computer they should be able to help guide you through the necessary steps so you don't have to purchase the program again.

The problem you are having with Adobe, I'm almost certain is because of you using Vista. My wife runs Vista and she often runs into the same problem with PDF files. I still run XP and have no issues at all with Adobe or the manuals. An upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista is a simple operating system upgrade and it shouldn't affect any files or programs you currently have installed. Now if you were upgrading to Windows 7 from XP that is a different story. I would be interested in knowing what the manufacturer would say regarding this issue.

Well the manufacturer is Forel Publishing and to their credit he has emailed me promptly and offering advice to resolve the issue. If I'm not satisfied he is also offering a full refund. They use a program called "OwnerGuard encryption software" it is made by Armjisoft and gets activated through a separate program that needs to be installed on your computer and it activates the encrypted PDF files with a code via the internet. Then it allows you to use it and had a statement during the install it will only work with this current operating system but I went back and looked and apparently it can be installed in up to 3 computers. So I have to assume I can change to a new OS and will think it is a 2nd computer then. And when I get to 3 changes then I'll have to contact them. I don't like the idea of a product that will expire on you. A book won't self destruct after you read it 3 times and force you to buy a new one.

I usually like technology but I will never get used to e-books, they are too much of a hassle. We have a bookstore nearby that specializes in having anything and everything you can imagine. It covers two floors the size of a large department store. Haven't been in there in a long time but they have a large section with old repair manuals.

Well the manufacturer is Forel Publishing and to their credit he has emailed me promptly and offering advice to resolve the issue. If I'm not satisfied he is also offering a full refund. They use a program called "OwnerGuard encryption software" it is made by Armjisoft and gets activated through a separate program that needs to be installed on your computer and it activates the encrypted PDF files with a code via the internet. Then it allows you to use it and had a statement during the install it will only work with this current operating system but I went back and looked and apparently it can be installed in up to 3 computers. So I have to assume I can change to a new OS and will think it is a 2nd computer then. And when I get to 3 changes then I'll have to contact them. I don't like the idea of a product that will expire on you. A book won't self destruct after you read it 3 times and force you to buy a new one.

I usually like technology but I will never get used to e-books, they are too much of a hassle. We have a bookstore nearby that specializes in having anything and everything you can imagine. It covers two floors the size of a large department store. Haven't been in there in a long time but they have a large section with old repair manuals.

I agree with you that sometimes it's nice to have the physical book in your hads. I still think there are some benefits to having a digital copy as well. But to your point is you buy the CD then you should be able to use it and install it on all your computers without having to worry about any sort of expiration.

Some things are better off left the way they were. I guess they figure it is easier for someone to share a CD then to photocopy your entire manual. Something like this I would always buy the book on, as you say you can thumb thru it in the garage with your greasy hands, make notes, ear mark it. Having to wash the grease off your hands everytime you want to look up something different on the PC in the thick of it just bites.

If you're concerned about not being able to view the material at a later date, it may be worth it to go ahead and buy a ream of paper and just print the entire thing off. At least that way you know you'll have it available when you need it whether it's on the computer or not. The downside of course is the money spent in ink and paper. Kinko's?

I never had to purchased one, just found this site and the people like PAK and the rest on here, put up with my stupid questions and helped me build my 69! Once again. super thanks to all!! Call me tight, but hopefully made a few friends along the way!

I would take a good .PDF manual any day.

Good as in none of that copy protection crud

Good as in proper text encoding and not scanned pages of the paper manual (text excoding allows you to search for keywords, etc)

Good as in a proper index and contents window that links you to specific chapters, etc.

Unfortunately, most of the PDF manuals I've seen do not have all of those qualities.