Sign in to follow this  
Quick_R2

351C vs 351W clutch equalizer bar (Z-bar) differences

Hello - I'd love to hear some folks chime in with the differences between a 351W and 351C equalizer bar. I know for sure that they are different based on the two different part numbers, but I'm interested to know the physical differences between the two bars for 69/70 Mustangs (and Cougars).

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Well I don't know 100% sure but I think they are the same if not very close. I have put Clevelands in place of 302's and 351W's before and used all the original Windsor block clutch bars on Clevelands. The different part number may be from just a slight production change like one hole a bit bigger or a change in angle to reduce pedal effort but that's just a guess. Maybe some one will have one of each for a real comparison. It may also have to do with the length of the main bar and I never noticed.

I don't doubt that the two original designs (351W vs 351C) could possibly interchange, however I'm just trying to identify which one of these it is that I have. Below are the part numbers that I found for the 69 351W and 70 351C via the West Coast Classic Cougar online parts catalog:

351W: C9ZZ-7528-A

351C: D0ZZ-7528-D

I'll probably wind up calling them tomorrow to figure out the differences.

Thanks again for your help.

-Scott

Thanks for the help - I think you just solved the million dollar question! As it turns out, I just discovered tonight that I have one of each of these - (351W & 351C). It's just not right though - I'm too young to forget about parts that I've picked up over the years... Thanks again for the info.

-Scott

Scott, can you please post pictures comparing the two. I'm swapping a 351W with a 351C and was going to reuse my 351W zbar. Where exactly is the differance between the two? Thanks. Jim

I don't doubt that the two original designs (351W vs 351C) could possibly interchange, however I'm just trying to identify which one of these it is that I have. Below are the part numbers that I found for the 69 351W and 70 351C via the West Coast Classic Cougar online parts catalog:

351W: C9ZZ-7528-A

351C: D0ZZ-7528-D

I'll probably wind up calling them tomorrow to figure out the differences.

Thanks again for your help.

-Scott

Jim,

As Scott pointed out they have the same base part number, different revision (A for the 69 part & D for the 70 part). It was probably changed for the cleveland and superceded the windsor part for windsor motors. I would think adding a strategically placed kink/bend would work. Mine still has the windsor part and I did have clearance issues on the bottom end when I put the C in but its all apart again now.

Edited by RacerX

So did anyone ever determine if they are the same or different, it sounds like a windsor bar will work but you have to bend the lower arm? I have gotten rid of my headers and now the z bar that was on the car (which does not look like a 69 windsor bar, is hitting the exhaust, and I would like to know what is best to buy.

Thanks

Attached is a 1970 351c Z-bar for a Mach 1 Mustang. There is no casting or part numbers on the part. When I swap my W for the C I'll take comparison pixs. I think they differ like the others say next to the exhaust manifold.