Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

69 instrument cluster circuit board

Being not much of a mechanic , i am going to replace my instrument circuit board. The guages stopped working so I bought a new instrument voltage regulator and put it in. all the guages work now except the alt meter. the temp guage seems to be reading below normal too. Also only the right blinker light works now. All other dash lights are not working.So i decided to just get a new circuit board and also put in all new instrument dash lights with the new LED type bulbs. I am about to try all this. Is there anything I need to know before attempting this? thanks

Hello relic1864,

It seems as though we have a new member here. It is great to have new people trying new things on our old cars.

My first suggestion is this:

Go to the site for Mustangs Unlimited

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/s00000.htm

Look for literature - I strongly advise getting a set of Shop Manuals for your car year. These Manuals are available in CD format or printed. It is a 5 volume set and will teach you thousands of things. Trust me - - you will be glad to have them.

I use M/U for a lot of my parts. There are of course several suppliers of parts for our ponies.

Because you seem new (I mean no disrespect) I would advise that you take pictures with a digital camera before you start any task. I also advise pictures as you take things apart. Next I suggest putting labels on pieces as you take them apart.

You will learn ton with the manual. Also look at the M/U catalog. It often shows pictures of various assemblies and that gives you an idea of how things go together.

I noticed on your other post you are talking about a missing vent. Does your car have AC? I am thinking it does. Look around the MU catalog for parts. I just completed a heater core on my 1970 and may be able to answer a few questions about the ducts if it is a non AC car.

Sounds like you have the spirit to do this and this forum is loaded with great helpers. Remember to ask any and all questions if unsure of anything.

Even little things are important.

Best of Luck with the car.... Print Dad

if your temperature gauge is reading low, you might need to replace the "temperature sending unit". It's very easy and cheap to replace. I just upgraded my gauges recently and also replaced the circuit board. The only thing that stopped working is the speedometer, but it might be the speedometer cable that needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on the Speedometer issue?

RElik!

First of all be sure you disconnect the battery when you are working on the dash.

Check the wires in the big plug, that goes into the printed circuit towards the center of the car. Make sure nothing got pulled out of place.

Be sure you have the plug right side up. The manuals, gives you the wire number and the pin number as it is located in the back.

The CVR only effects the Temp, Oil pressure and fuel gauges.

The speedometer cable might need to be pushed in until it snaps or if the white plastic end is brocken, try to push it in as far as you can.

Check your fuses and head light switch as well.I would be happy to send you the wieing diagram if you choose not to buy the books.

Kaz

Edited by kazlaszlo